First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@Bestop

Dont listen to these fools.

As a business owner I completely understand your reasoning. A lot of people(well, at least the handful on this thread out of hundreds of thousands) dont understand what it takes to engineer a good quality product, that works.

They dont understand if you rush a product through to market and its subpar and lacks usability it hurts the company, its employees and more importantly those who spent money to buy it.

If these folks want cheap product just because its "available", then let them get it off Ebay or Amazon.

I'd rather wait for well engineered quality over junk. A large number of us have big money into our Jeeps - last thing we want is crap product.

You make GREAT products!! Keep up the great work!!
Hey Chris:

As the thread's originator I trust you get that my desire for the product was no less detailed than my appreciation for Bestop's need to analyze the NPV (net present value) of the projected profit stream of the product compared to other endeavors, and that no product launch is trivial, even one adapted from another application (the JK.):)

You make great points, but know I don't agree with you;)...well...better stated..you agree with me.;)
Sponsored

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Hey Chris:

As the thread's originator I trust you get that my desire for the product was no less detailed than my appreciation for Bestop's need to analyze the NPV (net present value) of the projected profit stream of the product compared to other endeavors, and that no product launch is trivial, even one adapted from another application (the JK.):)

You make great points, but know I don't agree with you;)...well...better stated..you agree with me.;)
Everytime I see you that you've replied to something I said, two distinct words always come to mind...

More (and) On.

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Everytime I see you that you've replied to something I said, two distinct words always come to mind...

More (and) On.
"Don't listen to these fools.."

One person, and it's his right (@digitalbliss) took stabs at Bestop, and yet you refer to the collective as fools.

It's one thing to have an opinion Chris. It's another for you to be flat out wrong.

Nobody asked for a rush job, just movement of the project off the back burner.

I too make gear for my rig. I've worked with two very well known aftermarket vendors to perfect theirs (names withheld). Taking product from the back of a napkin to prototype, to initial model, and then perfecting it, getting someone 1/2 a world a way to make it (to keep consumer costs down), to patent it, to defending its patent (or finding it too expensive to do so), to law suits, to competition--I know it well.

I asked Bestop for this because I don't want to buy knock off, likely to be inferior and/or in violation of patents. The collective here loves Bestop and wants to engage in mutually beneficial transactions with them.

Maybe think twice about calling people fools who not only don't contradict your sentiments, but expressed many of them (me) before you in respect for Bestop.

Time for a smartass reply or some meme or something that doesn't even make sense "More (and) On." What does that even mean? Wait--don't bother.

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Cassie @Bestop thanks for your reply. While not the news I'd hope for the kickstarter route sounds promising--I know I'd be aboard.

In fairness, you guys aren't simply another aftermarket provider; your a OEM provider as well, responsible for the Premium and Basic soft tops sold with the rig by FCA. That alone is a Herculian task. And as mentioned Bestop has to focus its energies on the products most likely to maximize the net present value of its profit stream, and work in the product spaces it wants to (first.)

Not only does the consumer have choice, so does the seller.:)

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
And yet both those products bridge between the JL Wrangler and the JT Truck ..

makes a ton of sense.

As we've mentioned in other threads we aren't planning to offer the retractable sunshade or Core Doors for the JL/JT in 2020. We keep seeing interest expressed here and other forums so we may run Kickstarter campaigns to better determine the true demand vs. a few member being very vocal advocates of getting these products to market. While we appreciate the excitement and interest it requires a lot of investment to bring a product like these into full production. Regardless, we been talking internally and the continued interest is keeping the idea of a Kickstarter-like approach alive in our discussions.

As for the tops for the JL we already have the Sunrider for Hardtop and Trektop. The new Trektop Ultra (shown at SEMA) should be available for pre-order in the next couple of weeks with shipments expected to start late February. Look for more info here in the forums and on bestop.com in the next week or so.

- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

Sponsored

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon

One person, and it's his right (@digitalbliss) took stabs at Bestop, and yet you refer to the collective as fools.

It's one thing to have an opinion Chris. It's another for you to be flat out wrong.

I too make gear for my rig. I've worked with two very well known aftermarket vendors to perfect theirs (names withheld). Taking product from the back of a napkin to prototype, to initial model, and then perfecting it, getting someone 1/2 a world a way to make it (to keep consumer costs down), to patent it, to defending its patent (or finding it too expensive to do so), to law suits, to competition--I know it well.

I asked Bestop for this because I don't want to buy knock off, likely to be inferior and/or in violation of patents. The collective here loves Bestop and wants to engage in mutually beneficial transactions with them.

Maybe think twice about calling people fools who not only don't contradict your sentiments, but expressed many of them (me) before you in respect for Bestop.

Time for a smartass reply or some meme or something that doesn't even make sense "More (and) On." What does that even mean? Wait--don't bother.
It means MORON

...my point exactly. Now get lost

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7

To be fair and to add to your point, I never took a stab at bestops quality or pricing, just their devotion and commitment to the JL platform.

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
with how many fingers?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@Rhinebeck01

Dissenting opinion--I'm just fine with. But you seem to appreciate my stance on shade with the Sunrider and no longer wish to contribute here(?)

Whatever.

upload_2020-1-20_10-46-50.png

upload_2020-1-20_10-43-40.png

upload_2020-1-20_10-41-14.png

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Dude, you seem like a major psychopath
A couple of thoughts. @Thinman ignore him. You make a good point about his mouth and absent of decent reply he gets nasty.

Chris: the term is Sociopath. Psychopath is no longer used. It refers to someone lacking empathy and power hungry. All I've done is hold a man to his word for posts I read long before becoming a member here, that I recalled and then looked up to remind myself moments ago.

You probably want the last word. Go ahead.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
This thread went to a weird place....

@besttop, thanks for the replies. I too would be interested in a retractable shade.

That is all.
Sponsored