Status
Not open for further replies.

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Guns and Jeeps are always a hot topic and most times get unnessesarily off track. So please, if you have the urge to get all anti-gun....just act like an adult and move on to another thread.

There are not many products that actually excite me (As a disclaimer, I have no connection with Vaultek at all)....especially enough to go and buy 3 of their products in a matter of days. I spend a lot of time with guns and am very supportive of anything that promote safety and keeps them out of the hands of criminals. This seems like a great option for our lifestyle so I thought that I would share.

I conceal carry near constantly, however...there are times that I am obligated to store my gun in my vehicle. Up until now that has been a challenge mostly because most portable gun safes are not designed for true automotive use (in particular, the rigors of off road and open vehicle usage. They F'n rattle and provide virtually zero protection from the elements. The locks are not reliable and if they are....they are tedious at best to open.

Enter the Vaultek Lifepod series travel vault

• Inexpensive ($107 at Amazon)
  • Airtight/Water resistant (Enough to float)
  • Programmable to any combination between 4-8 digits
  • Big enough for a Glock 19 and spare magazine
  • Has a few options like an Organizer for cards and cash etc, Also a cable loop to secure almost anywhere (Hotel, Car etc). Although....I think it is dumb that they don't include the cable loop for free. (A little tip....if you order the black one from Amazon, some have been reported to come with a cable. I ordered 2 black safes, one came with it and one did not).
  • Multiple colors (I think its like Black, Gold (ish), Grey, Orange, Multicam and there are a couple special editions).
  • It is composed of a tough polymer (feels much like a Glock)....it feels very sturdy, I know that it is drop tested but not sure to what extent. I am sure that if someone spent enough time trying to open it....with some effort and tools they could. But it is certainly way more secure than probably what you are doing now.
  • I don't think that it particularly looks like a safe which is nice.
  • I have found the lock to be super reliable and easy to operate.
I hard mounted one of mine to my Springtail Tailgate Table
MOLLE rack....it seems like a perfect place to discretely stow the gun before proceeding into the places where am restricted. It matches the Punk'n and does not appear out of place in the Jeep.

Doc

CF078F50-739E-44AC-B131-AEB08580455E_zps8g0mxfdr.jpg

6E118CE8-4496-4245-9FDA-EBD6D187FF7F_1_201_a_zpsdlg6vadh.jpg

edited-image_zpsdeboet2j.jpg

edited-image_zpsluggl2tp.jpg

edited-image_zpsb7cmcbfy.jpg
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
pretty nice setup as far as the gun protection. i was expecting a under the seat bolted to the floor setup. with that, my question is cant anyone pry that safe off the tailgate.

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
pretty nice setup as far as the gun protection. i was expecting a under the seat bolted to the floor setup. with that, my question is cant anyone pry that safe off the tailgate.
From what I’ve seen, most of those safes will pop open with the right tools, leverage and angle. I will say that any safe is better than no safe.

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
You don’t even need to pry it. There’s enough flex in the case where you can insert a zip tie or a fork and press the button to reset the combination to default.

Fork:

Zip-tie:

Last edited:

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
From what I’ve seen, most of those safes will pop open with the right tools, leverage and angle. I will say that any safe is better than no safe.
i agree any safe is better than no safe. let me put it this way, the set up he has looks like an easy target to "grab (pry) and run" where as a tuffy under the seat or center console safe will be less likely be tempted to be broken in. beside the fact it hidden but tuffy is well built and secured.

Springtail i'm not picking on your purchase, just sharing my views.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
You don’t even need to pry it. There’s enough flex in the case where you can insert a zip tie and press the button to reset the combination to default.

well that 's crap.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
IF I did carry and went in someplace where I couldn’t legally take my firearm, I wouldn’t want to unholster at the back of the Jeep where prying eyes (and camera’s) could see. I would prefer to unholster in the relative privacy of the interior of my Jeep. Seems like a console safe is better. My humble opinion.

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
They would have a time of it....4 1/4 inch bolts with steel backing plates.

Exactly....locks and safes are meant to keep out “honest” thieves. Anyone with enough intent and the proper tools will get whatever they want.

You don’t even need to pry it. There’s enough flex in the case where you can insert a zip tie and press the button to reset the combination to default.

There is YouTube video to break into anything. I think your bad guy would have to have intimate knowledge of the particular safe to get the job done. Probably less conspicuous to just wail on it with a hammer a few times. LOL

i agree any safe is better than no safe. let me put it this way, the set up he has looks like an easy target to "grab (pry) and run" where as a tuffy under the seat or center console safe will be less likely be tempted to be broken in. beside the fact it hidden but tuffy is well built and secured.

Springtail i'm not picking on your purchase, just sharing my views.
Never been a huge fan of tuffy locked products....I like their concepts but I just hate how they have failed to advance their locks. they really need to move into some sort of keyless entry.

IF I did carry and went in someplace where I couldn’t legally take my firearm, I wouldn’t want to unholster at the back of the Jeep where prying eyes (and camera’s) could see. I would prefer to unholster in the relative privacy of the interior of my Jeep. Seems like a console safe is better. My humble opinion.
Point well taken....I’m in the habit of disarming while standing in an partially open door way. Whether I do it in the driver door or back door really makes no difference.

That and the general public is too busy looking at their phones to notice anything. People have no sense anymore of what’s going in around them.

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
I think this has some validity. Especially if you run a tonneau in the summer and keep it out of site/out of mind.

Any safe has its short-falls.

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
They would have a time of it....4 1/4 inch bolts with steel backing plates.

Exactly....locks and safes are meant to keep out “honest” thieves. Anyone with enough intent and the proper tools will get whatever they want.

There is YouTube video to break into anything. I think your bad guy would have to have intimate knowledge of the particular safe to get the job done. Probably less conspicuous to just wail on it with a hammer a few times. LOL

Never been a huge fan of tuffy locked products....I like their concepts but I just hate how they have failed to advance their locks. they really need to move into some sort of keyless entry.

Point well taken....I’m in the habit of disarming while standing in an partially open door way. Whether I do it in the driver door or back door really makes no difference.

That and the general public is too busy looking at their phones to notice anything. People have no sense anymore of what’s going in around them.
The only people watching are the thieves, you’d be surprised how much the trash pays attention. I always catch lowlifes watching people, if I wasn’t so paranoid I probably wouldn’t notice.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
I actually don’t mind the setup- just not a fan of the location. I don’t want my sidearm out of reach. Very cool option, just not one I could use :(
I am a firm believer in on body carry...the only time the firearm is in the vault is when I absolutely can't carry on my body.

That said....you could use the cable loop and secure it under one of the front seats if you want it closer.

I looked into building a mount for it on the passenger side of the console but the side clips on the safe made it ergonomically ungainly.

Doc

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I am a firm believer in on body carry...the only time the firearm is in the vault is when I absolutely can't carry on my body.

That said....you could use the cable loop and secure it under one of the front seats if you want it closer.

I looked into building a mount for it on the passenger side of the console but the side clips on the safe made it ergonomically ungainly.

Doc
Very much considering that. Did some research and it looks workable. Plus I looked into that table on the tailgate. Might do that too.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
If you cannot get to the gun quickly, why even have it in a safe??
Rule of thumb, never leave your gun in your vehicle, for those using these safes for storage. . There is a good chance they will get stolen.

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Read the preceding discussions....it’s already been covered.

BTW: secure storage has a multitude of uses beside guns....storing your cash or wallet while going for a run/hike. It’s a good place to keep your registration and insurance info when he keep is open. Does not hurt that it’s actually water resistant as well.

Doc
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.