Sponsored

No lift JLUR with 37/12.5r17 BFG AT KO2, OEM or aftermarket wheel?

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Got some new tires for my pickup and these BFG's are now up for grabs. We're waiting on a 2020 Rubicon to be built and I'm planning on no lift as this Wrangler needs to fit in a parking garage (6'6" is the number I need to stay under). This set of AT's has very little wear on them and currently measure 36" tall on an 8.5" wide wheel.

Prudence asks that I wait until we get the Jeep and see exactly how tall it is in factory trim before I go buying more stuff, but I may get a wild hair here. I really want to try some Gladiator takeoffs ( I do understand they are basically the same specs) but I have my eye on a few other wheels as well. Aside from the JT wheel I'm looking at some 8.5" or 9" wide wheels in the +6 to +18 range.

I am not dead set on running these tires. It's just that we own them, they're in great shape, and the BFG AT is a damn decent tire and I'd really like to run them on the Jeep. I have a hard time leaving stuff 'stock', and the dinky little 285/70r17's might not make the cut. We'll see when it finally shows up. Who knows maybe I'll fall in love with it in it's factory delivered form and just leave it alone.......

Maybe ;)

If we take this JLUR offroad with these specific tires on it would be fairly mild stuff. Not going to be rock crawling with this setup. Totally willing to remove, trim, or replace fenders and inner fenders. That will happen someday anyway. Zero plans for a lift as stated. I also have zero interest in spacers, from everything I've read a true 37" will fit on a non-lifted Rubicon with factory wheels. They end up completely stuffed and won't wheel without rubbing, but they fit. So I'm thinking these 36" tall BFG's should work fairly well for mostly

20200118_014652.jpg

Activities

These are currently the front runners fifteen52 Traverse HD
bronze-off-road-wheels-jeep-fifteen52-jpg.jpg

jeep-4runner-wheels-fifteen52-jpg.jpg

jeep-rubicon-trail-fifteen52-jpg.jpg
Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
37" KO2 fits perfectly and you can wheel the crap out of it, no lift necessary.

I will suggest wheels wider than stock. I'm running original wheels and the tire ends up crowned, very little contact patch. I compensate by running 28 psi, but the contact patch is still mostly in the center of the tread.
Off road stock wheels and 14 psi leaves the tire very compliant. One recent trip, I had to drive through a tight rock squeeze and I actually drove through wedged against my rims, some minor scratching on the beads. If I had wider wheels, there probably would have been much more wheel damage. So there's no perfect answer for every situation

OP
OP
Compression-Ignition

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking I'll try to locate some JT wheels then. Do you know the height of your JLUR? And do you have a hard top or soft?

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
I also want to run 37" BFG KM3s on a stock suspension 2-door Rubicon. Is it really that easy? You are saying they clear with stock wheels? If they wouldn't clear with it completely stock, what about removing the lower portion of the OEM flares, and going with the chopped fender look? Would 37s clear in that situation?

https://americanadventurelab.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/bw-1067x800.jpg
Sponsored