Sponsored

Mopar Begins Selling Wall Charger in Preparation for Jeep Wrangler 4xe Hybrid Electric

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The Mopar Level 2 wall charger is currently available for sale at Chrysler.com. The website directs the user to Amazon where they can purchase the charger and select a home installation option.

The cost of the charger is $599.99 and it's eligible for free shipping. Buyers can opt for a professional installation via Amazon for an extra $550 per unit.

Press Release

FCA Improves the Purchase Experience for Electric Vehicles

• Shoppers on FCA’s consumer websites can now take advantage of a direct link to purchase Mopar’s 240-volt at-home electric vehicle (EV) charger and quality installation services
  • The effort gives customers a simple way to calculate total cost of their EV purchase
  • Chrysler Pacifica PHEV customers will be the first to benefit, with customers of the upcoming Jeep® Wrangler 4xe to follow soon
January 15, 2020 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA is taking steps to make choosing and buying an electric vehicle easier. The Chrysler brand website now features a direct link to purchase Mopar’s 240-volt wall charger on Amazon.com and quality installation services for any branded EV charger, giving customers a fast and convenient way to charge their vehicles at home. Additional FCA consumer websites will offer the same solution as the company launches more than 30 electrified nameplates by 2022.

“Our industry is approaching an inflection point in demand for affordable long-range electric vehicles. This action is just one of FCA’s efforts to improve awareness and convenience in the EV purchase experience,” said Micky Bly, Head of Global Propulsion System Engineering, FCA. “We see opportunities to make owning an EV easier and creating a simple solution for at-home charging is among them.”

Among the questions for customers looking to make the switch to electric vehicles is where and how to set up a charger in their home. This approach helps take the guesswork out of the equation. Through Amazon.com/pacificahybrid customers can purchase a charger, answer a few questions about their home, see an installation quote, then schedule online a quality and licensed electrician to complete the installation of their EV charger. The agreement makes the cost more transparent and the experience easier.

FCA Electrification
FCA has identified a long-term strategy for transitioning to EVs. The Ram 1500 and Jeep Wrangler with eTorque and the recently announced Fiat 500 and Panda mild hybrid systems are examples of technology adaptation on high volume vehicles. Also, the Chrysler Pacifica PHEV is America’s first and only hybrid minivan, and its natural drive cycle as a local-use family vehicle benefits from a pure electric range of 32 miles, after which it continues to operate as a fuel-sipping hybrid. The 2020 calendar year will bring seven new high-voltage EVs to the FCA global lineup, including a number of electrified Jeep® vehicles, a second generation Fiat 500 BEV, Fiat Ducato BEV and Maserati’s first hybrid.

Vehicles are only part of the EV equation. EV customers also need the ability to charge their vehicles conveniently and affordably. FCA has signed two agreements in Europe with energy sector leaders Enel X and ENGIE to support corporate production and distribution of PHEV and BEV vehicles. These agreements allow dealers to offer innovative charging solutions and services to retail and business customers.

Through a partnership with Terna, an electricity provider in Italy, FCA will study how EVs interact with the distribution network. An experimental two-way charging infrastructure built within the Mirafiori district will provide energy from cars to the grid when electrical demand is high and return to vehicle charging when the demand is low.

jeep-mopar-wall-charger-hybrid-electric-level-2.jpg
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Thanks for this info.

If the product malfunctions can the Wrangler run on its internal combustion side alone?

If no, I wonder what warranties/service contracts/or need to have two of these products installed, so one is operational while the other is being serviced, is practically needed.

I don't wish to imply the product is poorly built or subject to failure--just that I question if its operation is a critical link in the process of getting your rig to run.

And sure, power outages effect this device no more than gasoline pumps unable to deliver fuel.

Night Ryder

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler 200, Honda Odyssey
How do you charge it when you’re stuck in the middle of nowhere on a trail and your battery is out? Whats the conplan for that?
The gas engine kicks in and runs the jeep, as well as charges the battery. Its a plug in hybrid. It will run on electricity for the first 30 miles or so, then it switches to the 2.0 turbo.

Whats your conplan for when you’re stuck in the middle of nowhere on a trail and you run out of gas?

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
The gas engine kicks in and runs the jeep, as well as charges the battery. Its a plug in hybrid. It will run on electricity for the first 30 miles or so, then it switches to the 2.0 turbo.

Whats your conplan for when you’re stuck in the middle of nowhere on a trail and you run out of gas?
Popping my jerrycan and adding 5 gallon of gas....

Sponsored

Night Ryder

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler 200, Honda Odyssey
Popping my jerrycan and adding 5 gallon of gas....
...so the Wrangler 4XE is actually better for trails in the middle of nowhere since it can also carry a 5 gallon jerrycan, and has an extra 30 miles of range if thats not enough

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
...so the Wrangler 4XE is actually better for trails in the middle of nowhere since it can also carry a 5 gallon jerrycan, and has an extra 30 miles of range if thats not enough
until the lithium battery gets punctured on a rock , shorts, and catches on fire...

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I’m amused by all the hate the hybrid gets on this forum. “Something new! It must be stupid! Real jeeps run on gas! Rabble rabble!”

It’s funny how closed minded people are. Most people buy jeeps and commute in them. This could be an excellent option for those people. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. That doesn’t mean it’s not good for others.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
...Most people buy jeeps and commute in them. This could be an excellent option for those people. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. That doesn’t mean it’s not good for others.
Haha, I don't know if it's for me but if it runs anything like the hybrid prius or other hybrid vehicles, FCA might steal the show! You know a lot of folks are about them hybrids!!! I'm interested in seeing them! Maybe I can convince my sister to get one, since her mind is set on a Tesla Y in 2 years. She's currently a Prius owner, but maybe...jussst maybe, if this comes out soon enough, I can convince her to get one and then we can twin! :LOL: YASS! :fingerscrossed:

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
I’m amused by all the hate the hybrid gets on this forum. “Something new! It must be stupid! Real jeeps run on gas! Rabble rabble!”

It’s funny how closed minded people are. Most people buy jeeps and commute in them. This could be an excellent option for those people. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. That doesn’t mean it’s not good for others.
Something new! Must be better!
fact: lithium battery technology is far mor toxic in its mining and disposal/recycling then petroleum. And its repercussions are not yet fully realized by this “feel good” about being “environmentally friendly” alternative propulsion.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Read the fine print for the $550 install ESTIMATE. I have installed many of these and in much of the country the panels are in a basement. If that basement is finished it can be rather complicated and expensive to get these in. Quite a few times that $550 would barely cover the material cost.