Strange Steering Failure of my Jeep Today

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
About 1 hrs ago. I was driving normally at about 35mph. Went around a slight curve and for about the 4 seconds the power steering seem to drop out/go dead. Forced me to hit the breaks or run off the road because the road was curving and the vehicle was locked in a straight line and I was going a bit to fast to make the adjustment with manual steering. Seconds later it came back and all seemed normal. Scared the hell out of me though. 10K on the Jeep thus far. Anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
About 1 hrs ago. I was driving normally at about 35mph. Went around a slight curve and for about the 4 seconds the power steering seem to drop out/go dead. Forced me to hit the breaks or run off the road because the road was curving and the vehicle was locked in a straight line and I was going a bit to fast to make the adjustment with manual steering. Seconds later it came back and all seemed normal. Scared the hell out of me though. 10K on the Jeep thus far. Anyone else have this issue?
This was enough to get someone killed at a different speed....

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
My 18 did that twice after I had it about 6 months. There are old threads about it. On mine I told them about a TSB I had read about on here, they did a fifteen minute computer flash and I’ve had no more issues.

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
There's a post on the technical thread's about a loose bolt on the 48v battery that grounds the power steering. Loose connection.

Get under your JL and check that bolt. Tightening it simply will fix it.

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Mine wasn’t the ground issue. They hadn’t even released the BSG / e torque models yet. Computer reset fixed it, from others at the time the lockup seemed to happen more on cooler days.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steering-locked-up-when-going-around-a-curve.39526/

Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Have you pushed in all the fuses?

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Cherokee, 93 Wrangler, 19 Wrangler
I have had some phantom steering-feel issues going through a roundabout or other left turn. It only happens within the first 5 miles of warmup when the outside temps are very low and the steering wheel heater is ON. Feels almost like the steering wheel has a dead spot where the power steering momentarily drops off.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I had the tsb applied twice as the first time it didn't help. So far after the second attempt it seems fine now.

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Scared to Drive the thing now. Making an appointment at the dealer..
Sponsored