Sponsored

My JLUR Order Process - Covert AND Mac Haik - Highly Recommend Both - Latest Contact Info

Yardie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLUR
After about a year of research, lurking and waiting, the time has come to make the purchase on a new JLUR. Here's my experience:

I dealt with four dealerships, well really just two, one didn't call back and another was local and not a recommended dealer:

1. A local quote request submitted via Jeep's "Build and Price" website. I knew this would be a deadend, and it certainly was. I won't name the dealer, but I reside in the DFW area and there are no "recommended dealers" I'm my area, so this was really just to prove a point to myself. I submitted the request and waited about 1 minute for the phone to ring. After some back and forth for the next couple hours and into the following day, I moved on.
2. I left a message with DeMontrond in Houston Saturday morning, but never heard back from anyone there. To be fair, I called on the busiest day of the week, and really didn't give them enough time to respond before making my decision (it's now only early Monday morning).
3. I spoke with K.C. Gardner at Mac Haik ([email protected] or 512-970-5524) in Austin. A very pleasant conversation with 3 straight forward pricing options: 4% below invoice or 5% below invoice with affiliate discount (employer, Tread Lightly, etc) or 6% below invoice with affiliate discount AND dealer financing. Essentially, you choose your discount level. The only fee is $353 which includes doc fee and 2 year registration and licensing. K.C. answered the phone immediately and provided an invoiced quote within 15 minutes of receiving my build request via email. I cannot provide enough positive comments about my experience with him. I know there have been others on the forum who have not had prompt response or good experiences from Mac Haik, but based on my experience and research, I have to believe the lack of timely response from them was likely due to some recent turnover at the dealership (i.e. leaving a voicemail for someone who was no longer there) or contacting the wrong person. Give K.C. a call, he'll make the process simple, efficient and provide you with a desirable purchase option.
4. I spoke with Jeff Thomas at Covert in Austin ([email protected] or 512-730-3360). I had originally left a voicemail with Will Harrell at Covert, and Will passed my name to Jeff, another salesman in his neighboring "cube." My assumption is that Will was probably busy when I called and passed my name to Jeff so I could get a quicker callback. Jeff is very knowledgeable about Jeeps and Jeep options, the ordering process and "forum pricing," so from my experience, calling either one will net you the same result. In short, Covert provided the same pricing and fees as #3 above. Once I received the callback from Jeff, which was less than an hour after leaving a message with Will, it seemed as though I had Jeff's undivided attention, he was very quick to provide a quote.

In the end, options #3 and #4 both provided nearly identical pricing and I am equally pleased with both salesmen. That said, I'll refrain from stating which dealership I ultimately chose for my order (Mac Haik or Covert) -- I would recommend either of them equally. I really just had to flip a coin. Perhaps I could have done some back and forth negotiating with each of them to save a few more bucks, but I have to respect the salesperson's time and since I was happy with both offers, I just choose one and moved on peacefully.

For anyone unsure of how to initiate a custom Jeep order, here's my recommendation:

1. Use Jeep's website to build your dream vehicle. Visit your local dealership, as needed, to view colors and options, in person, to help make choices.
2. Download the latest pricing guide from the sticky on this forum so you know what MSRP and invoice prices are for your build.
3. Create a spreadsheet, or use one of the templates from this forum, to itemize options and pricing. You'll want to compare your spreadsheet with the invoice sheet from the dealership (they'll send you one). Although the templates on the forum are great, I found them too complicated for my simple brain, so I created my own. I also created an additional tab for keeping track of contact info and notes so it's all in one file.
4. Find a couple dealerships AND salesperson names and direct numbers from the list of recommended dealers on this forum -- don't just blindly call the front desk. My thought was that I should respect the salesperson's time and there wasn't a need to call a half dozen of them. Yes, I ended up calling 3 dealers, but that's because the first 2 didn't initially answer on the day I was ordering, I had originally intended to stop at 2.
5. Call the salesperson of your choosing and tell them who you are, confirm their email and ask if you can send them your build sheet (list of options and codes you want for your Jeep order).
6. From my experience, minimal negotiating, if any, is required. When you call, tell the salesperson where you got their name and number (this forum) and they should know to provide "forum pricing" and give you their best pricing available.
7. Wait patiently for delivery, the most difficult step in the process.

That is all, good day!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
I think you should disclose the names of the "not recommended" dealerships....that way people on the forums won't waste their time contacting them if they in-search of a new vehicle.

OP
OP

Yardie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLUR
I think you should disclose the names of the "not recommended" dealerships....that way people on the forums won't waste their time contacting them if they in-search of a new vehicle.
Rickytam, fair point -- Grapevine Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram is the dealership in the DFW area that I wouldn't recommend. They seemingly don't like to conduct business over the phone/email, I was asked three times "when could I come in to sit down with a sales associate?" Despite the fact that I told them I had no need to go to the dealership in person, as I knew exactly what I wanted and also knew they wouldn't have a 3.0L diesel in stock and I would have to do a custom order, they just wanted me to come to the dealership. To be fair, they did eventually deal with me via phone and I was initially quoted MSRP (no discount) as a sales price, then later quoted ~6.4% below MSRP. Not terrible, but too much haggling and not a good enough price.

Geaux Tigers

First Name
Kyley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery and Yukon - buying JL
Thank you for the post. VERY helpful as I’m about to order mine in the manner and am from DFW as well. I want the Jeep in AZ so haven’t decided if I will order in Texas or AZ. The helpfulness of the dealers will inform that decision. Again, thanks for the detailed post - very helpful.

prototyp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW i3 REX, 2019 Wrangler Sport
It's good to hear Mac Haik doesn't tack their $1,793 "Protection Plan" onto vehicle orders. I just had a relatively gross experience trying to buy a vehicle off the lot there. Sounds like ordering is the way to go.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Yardie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLUR
Thank you for the post. VERY helpful as I’m about to order mine in the manner and am from DFW as well. I want the Jeep in AZ so haven’t decided if I will order in Texas or AZ. The helpfulness of the dealers will inform that decision. Again, thanks for the detailed post - very helpful.
@Geaux Tigers, I was in a similar situation to you. We're moving from DFW to Utah in a few months, hence the "need" for a Jeep. Had I not been pleased with the recommended Texas dealers, I was prepared to inquire with one of the two recommended dealers in Idaho (the closest recommended dealers to the Salt Lake City area) and purchase after making the move. As it turned out, I never had to contact the Idaho dealers.

OP
OP

Yardie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLUR
It's good to hear Mac Haik doesn't tack their $1,793 "Protection Plan" onto vehicle orders. I just had a relatively gross experience trying to buy a vehicle off the lot there. Sounds like ordering is the way to go.
@prototyp3, that's correct, no dealer add-ons when custom ordering from Mac Haik in Austin. I specifically asked that very question and was told with certainty that the the out-the-door cost was strictly limited to sales price + 6.25% tax + $353 (which includes 2-year registration and $150 doc fee). If you can wait ~2 months for delivery, I highly recommend custom ordering.
Sponsored