Sponsored

35 or 37 tires on a 2.0T engined Wrangler?

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
Anyone have experiences they'd like to share about using 35 or 37 tires on a JL equipped with the 2.0T engine?

I have read through a lot of build threads, tire vs. MPG threads, and rarely does the poster mention which engine option they have.

Since the HP/TQ numbers are similar, I would *guess* (?) that the power loss due to the larger tires would be similar as well?

And what about fuel mileage? I've read threads where lots of people see their mileage dip from 18 to 14-16 with 35's or 37's, and I'm assuming those folks have the V6, as I would hope that the 2.0T JL's OEM mileage would be in the mid-20's before a tire upgrade.

I would assume (there's that word again) that a Rubicon might be less adversely affected by 35-37 tires than a Sport/Sahara due to the R's 4.10 gears.

Thoughts? Real world experiences to relate on big tire effects on power/mpg on the 2.0T?
Sponsored

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
OP
OP
Kent5

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
Re: Warranty implications— I understand some people would hesitate about that, and I won’t fault them for their decision on their Jeep.

But for the sake of discussion in this thread, let’s assume I’m willing to take that risk, and leave the warranty aspect out of scope and talk about the technical aspects. :)

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
Anyone have experiences they'd like to share about using 35 or 37 tires on a JL equipped with the 2.0T engine?

I have read through a lot of build threads, tire vs. MPG threads, and rarely does the poster mention which engine option they have.

Since the HP/TQ numbers are similar, I would *guess* (?) that the power loss due to the larger tires would be similar as well?

And what about fuel mileage? I've read threads where lots of people see their mileage dip from 18 to 14-16 with 35's or 37's, and I'm assuming those folks have the V6, as I would hope that the 2.0T JL's OEM mileage would be in the mid-20's before a tire upgrade.

I would assume (there's that word again) that a Rubicon might be less adversely affected by 35-37 tires than a Sport/Sahara due to the R's 4.10 gears.

Thoughts? Real world experiences to relate on big tire effects on power/mpg on the 2.0T?
I have been wondering the effects of towing capacity and increased wear on brakes due the increase in weight.

Thanks for posting Kent5!

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I've got a 2.0t JLUR on order, and 35" Ridge Grapplers (on the heavy end for 35s) waiting to install. I'll update here once it arrives if you haven't gotten enough responses by then. 37s to me just seemed like a re-gear would be wise, 3.6 or 2.0T, especially in a heavier tire like Nitto RGs, hence why I went with 35s.

Sponsored

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I have a 2.0 JLUR on 37” Stt pro and the power is still really good. The mpg definitely takes a big hit. I’m usually around 16mpg average and that’s mainly highway commute running 80mph consistently. Mpg creeps up if I slow down.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
[
I've got a 2.0t JLUR on order, and 35" Ridge Grapplers (on the heavy end for 35s) waiting to install. I'll update here once it arrives if you haven't gotten enough responses by then. 37s to me just seemed like a re-gear would be wise, 3.6 or 2.0T, especially in a heavier tire like Nitto RGs, hence why I went with 35s.
Re gear will help but it’s far from necessary, and drive ability is not affected that bad. I’ve owned tons of lifted Jeeps and always re gear. I will on the JLUR but it’s hardly at the top of the list. Only time I feel gearing suffers is 8th isn’t as usable. At 70 it will hold 8th, as you creep past 75 it struggles to hold 8th. It wants to drop to 7th at even the slightest hint of an incline off in the distance. I’d say the vast majority of folks would be completely satisfied running 37’s with stock 4.10s. For those that want as good as stock sized tire performance and perhaps a bit better in certain situations- a regear should achieve that

dcwrangler

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I have a 2.0 JLUR on 37” Stt pro and the power is still really good. The mpg definitely takes a big hit. I’m usually around 16mpg average and that’s mainly highway commute running 80mph consistently. Mpg creeps up if I slow down.
Wow, thats crazy from 25mpg to 16mpg! Did you ever get 25mpg with the stock 33s? I am planning on putting 35s without a lift when I get mine but don't want to sacrifice to much mpg especially when burning premium fuel.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
Wow, thats crazy from 25mpg to 16mpg! Did you ever get 25mpg with the stock 33s? I am planning on putting 35s without a lift when I get mine but don't want to sacrifice to much mpg especially when burning premium fuel.
37s are a different animal, and it's why I mentioned the re-gear. That engine is going to be working overtime even with the 8 speed on the stock gearing. 35s should have less impact on mpg. That said, I would not expect 25 mpg routinely out of a JLUR, even on stock tires.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Never saw 25. 22-23 no problem, but I only drove it 500 miles stock. I could achieve better IF I slow down. Gears will help, I’m in the boost all the time on the highway at high speeds, the gears would allow less boost psi and mpg would go up.

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
With the 3.6 I am seeing 15MPG on my stock Rubicon in flat Illinois.

On my JK I was seeing 15-16 with a ton of added weight, low gears, and 40s.

Reading the MPG drop of the 2.0, I'm hoping it doesn't translate to the 3.6 with larger tires.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
My observations from info in this forum and online JL reviews:
1. 2.0L auto 8 speed may handle bigger tires better than 6 sp (6 gears + 2 OD vice 4 gears and 2 OD)
2. JL reviews have mentioned the 4 dr feels a little underpowered with the 2.0 as its bigger than a 2 dr
3. Rubicon gearing more suited for 35-37
4. Non Rubicon more suited to stay in the 33 size range.
5. upgrade, shocks, steering stab, brakes, and stronger track bar with bigger tires.
6. Those with MPG issues don't mention if they recal'd the speedo which effects accurate MPG calc.

Personal experience with my 2.0L 8 speed............I'll stay in the 33 size range (305/65's) and the speedo has been re cal'd and power feels fine. Getting 22-23 MPG range and staying under 68-70 top speed.

Old school observation:
With a YJ (1989) you needed a 4" lift to fit 33's, and then it rode like a lumber truck.
With a TJ a 2.5" lift was enough for 33's, ride much improved.
With a JL sport you can add Rubicon fender flares and 33's and the ride is wonderful.

When i got into jeeps stock tires were 28-29" so 32 or 33's were decent. Now 35's just aren't enough. Times change.

OP
OP
Kent5

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
1. 2.0L auto 8 speed may handle bigger tires better than 6 sp (6 gears + 2 OD vice 4 gears and 2 OD)
2. JL reviews have mentioned the 4 dr feels a little underpowered with the 2.0 as its bigger than a 2 dr
5. upgrade, shocks, steering stab, brakes, and stronger track bar with bigger tires.
6. Those with MPG issues don't mention if they recal'd the speedo which effects accurate MPG calc.

Personal experience with my 2.0L 8 speed............I'll stay in the 33 size range (305/65's) and the speedo has been re cal'd and power feels fine. Getting 22-23 MPG range and staying under 68-70 top speed.

Old school observation:
With a YJ (1989) you needed a 4" lift to fit 33's, and then it rode like a lumber truck.
With a JL sport you can add Rubicon fender flares and 33's and the ride is wonderful.

When i got into jeeps stock tires were 28-29" so 32 or 33's were decent. Now 35's just aren't enough. Times change.
I was just thinking that same thing! Used to be that if your Wrangler was rolling on 31's that was pretty good, and if you were rolling 33's you were pretty hard core! Now, with the JL, seems like 35's are just the minimum to be considered a "trail-prepped" Wrangler.

I'd *like* 37's, but that's all it is... a "like". My mild off-roading certainly wouldn't require 37's by any stretch, and even 35's are likely more than I would ever "need", but I like the look.

Last edited:

bval001

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler sport s

Old school observation:

4 door feels underpowered with the 2.0? couldnt disagree more with that statement. my 4dr 2.0 throws me back in the seat when I step on it. there's also video of a 4door running 0-60 in 6.9 seconds bone stock

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
4 door feels underpowered with the 2.0? couldnt disagree more with that statement. my 4dr 2.0 throws me back in the seat when I step on it. there's also video of a 4door running 0-60 in 6.9 seconds bone stock
C/D got 6.5
Sponsored