Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
  • Banned
Ive been reeding a lot about the two battery system in my 3.6 and am finding most of it over my head. One simple question I was not able to find a definitive answer on it how to trickle charge. I am leaving for a few weeks and wanted to leave my 2019 rubicon on a smart charger. Anything special I need to know or should do??
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
If it were me I would put it on a trickle smart charger, I don’t believe you need to disconnect anything as it’s trickle charge and ones like this one http://products.batterytender.com/Dion/Battery-TenderR-Plus.html will go to float mode once fully charged

I use the above on my JL once a month and leave it connected for several days to just keep my batteries at peak capacity

JRMedic19

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '14 Toyo Highlander, '19 Toyo Camry
Occupation
Wang-Jangler
Vehicle Showcase
If all you need to do is top-off and maintain the battery then there is no need to buy a pricey set up. If your batteries are already healthy you can honestly get away with a motorcycle charger which are very inexpensive and compact. Just install an SAE plug to your rig and everything will connect quickly for temporary or overnight storage.

If you are looking for a seasonal storage solution or for something longer than a month or so I would strongly suggest getting a smart charger. These have the ability to analyze the voltage, check for errors, and charge/discharge the battery to correct or notify of a bad or dying battery.

I'm no electrician; but this has been my experience.

Sponsored

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Inside a warm/warmer garage or outside? It isn't that cold here right now, but it does get pretty cold at times.

I was about to pull the trigger on a couple NOCO on board chargers for our rigs that sit outside and was doing a little research. Ran across a post where a guy contacted NOCO and they told him the chargers were not meant to charge under freezing IIRC. Looking through their nomenclature on their site in PDF form, I couldn't find any pertinent info on charging at specific temperatures. I think perhaps only one model or a few of the upper end models utilize temperature compensation in their charging schemes.

It was enough to make me look elsewhere, I'll probably go with the CTEK MUS 4.3 POLAR https://smartercharger.com/collections/vehicle/products/ctek-nus-4-3-polar

As an aside, I had also just purchased 2 NOCO boost modules. A GB70 and a GB150. The GB150 wouldn't take a charge right out of the box. Started looking hard at the reviews and this is pretty commonplace.

I had heard/read a lot of good things about NOCO, but upon closer inspection their may be a little hype there. Just sayin'. I'm sending the GB150 back for a refund, but I'm going to give the GB70 a try. I'm actually going to buy another cheaper model that I saw a good review on and keep them both in the rig.

So yeah, there's a bunch of anecdotal rambling. And really might only matter to someone who is charging a vehicle outside in cold temps. I never used to worry about batteries but these new rigs all seem to draw them down with all their computers.......

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have this maintainer from NOCO. https://no.co/g750 I am assuming this should do the trick? And thanks for the help.
That one is for lead acid batteries up to 30ah. Not sure you should use it on your agm battery. A better choice would be the g3500

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm no expert, but I have been looking into getting a charger/maintainer for my new Sahara. It has a maintenance free battery (same as AGM?--I don't know), rated at 700ah. Most of these seem to say they are for batteries up to around 120 ah or even less. Is it necessary to get a charger that is rated to 700ah? Why or why not?
I think maybe you are getting some of the terms or numbers confused. I am no expert either, but I think the main thing here is the amount of time said charger would need to be hooked up to do it's job. I think that's what most of the manufacturers recommendations have to do with.

What charger are you looking at specifically? How much do you want to spend?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I normally plug in my Deltran for a day or two, it goes into float mode normally after 5-6 hrs but I just leave it connected and I only do it once a month and things seem to be ok, I occasionally test ESS and it’s always worked, my daily commute round trip for work is about 90 mins on avg.

Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Ive been reeding a lot about the two battery system in my 3.6 and am finding most of it over my head. One simple question I was not able to find a definitive answer on it how to trickle charge. I am leaving for a few weeks and wanted to leave my 2019 rubicon on a smart charger. Anything special I need to know or should do??
Check out this thread and the linked ones.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/best-battery-tender.41317/page-4#post-935796

Coles notes - have used both CTEK and NOCO for many years outside in rain snow and freezing temps etc. Both work fine as all weather smart chargers but the NOCO is more reliable and robust. There is an AGM and cold temp setting on the 7200. So make sure whatever you use - it is compatible with the JL batteries. Also is best to disconnect and smart charge separately.

Old Jedi

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired, USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I think maybe you are getting some of the terms or numbers confused. I am no expert either, but I think the main thing here is the amount of time said charger would need to be hooked up to do it's job. I think that's what most of the manufacturers recommendations have to do with.

What charger are you looking at specifically? How much do you want to spend?
I think you're right. I saw the maintenance free battery on my build sheet, and misinterpreted the 700 Amps, compared to the 120 ah ratings on the chargers. Still not clear on the difference, but maybe I'm getting wrapped around the axle where I don't need to. I'm looking at something like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...c45-cd78f07a84d8&pf_rd_r=0PM8NQQYTT5XG5TPZW69

OP
OP
Fouts

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
Thanks. I ordered the NOCO direct from them and they screwed up the order. Wound up leaving for a little over 2 weeks with jeep parked in garage. Started and ran just fine when I came home. Not too concerned anymore.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Just an FYI..... I have not trickle charged my JL is almost a month so I thought it would be a good test as I have had zero issues with ESS ( when tested ) and no starting issues or errant messages displayed in the EVIC

I hooked up my Deltran and after 90 mins it went into float mode so got out my digital volt meter and checked the voltage of both batteries connected together and I read 12.94, keep in mind this is just off a short trickle charge and it usually will run high for at least a day but my normal running voltage after a few days is in the low 13’s and if it sits parked for several days running voltage displayed is usually 14+ so guessing I have no issues but before I trickle charge again I will see what the voltage is at the batteries

And as stated you have to realize all these newer vehicles all have parasitic power draws and when you add say a Tazer or Smart Stop/Start module that pulls it down further so we all need to keep that in mind.

I did have to have my main battery replaced during the first 7 months of ownership as it failed a load test but that seems pretty common, one saving grace for some and that is having an extended warranty, mine goes 48/60 so if it fails I hope it does during warranty :)

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you're right. I saw the maintenance free battery on my build sheet, and misinterpreted the 700 Amps, compared to the 120 ah ratings on the chargers. Still not clear on the difference, but maybe I'm getting wrapped around the axle where I don't need to. I'm looking at something like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...c45-cd78f07a84d8&pf_rd_r=0PM8NQQYTT5XG5TPZW69
I don't see a NOCO genius 5 on their website? I do see a 2 amp version? Maybe the 5 amp is new?

Anyhow NOCO seems fairly well respected and I think in most instances any 'smart' charger is better than nothing at all.....if a person actually needs one. While convenient, all these new electrical systems are a huge PITA. And many of us have no clue what we're up against.

I mean all this stuff is supposed to be 'smart', or at least programmed well? Why don't they have a battery self diagnosis section? At the push of a button, it could tell you to either adjust your driving style/habits or to utilize a supplemental charging source. Instead of what we have now which is, 'surprise your battery is dead' on your new vehicle, that you really think shouldn't have any issues.
Sponsored