Sponsored

2 Door Roof Rack Options

dtortie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
Check out SMS Auto Parts's Exposed Rack system for RTT that is easy to mount and take down w/ no drilling:

https://www.smsparts.com/product-pa...ack-3ppl-2018-2021-jeep-wrangler-jl-jlu-2-4dr

They are designed to spread the weight of the RTT evenly across the hardtop using rubber feet underneath the cross bars. They also have drop-in brackets for carrying kayaks:

https://www.smsparts.com/product-page/8-00-9844-offset-pin-y-kayak-mount

I ordered their 2 cross-bars system to start out and in the future if I want to do RTT, I can order another crossbar and supporting feet/bracket.
I hadn't heard of this company, thank you for your suggestion. I'll check out the rack system and drop-in kayak carriers. Have you received the 2 cross bars and had a chance to install them? I'll look forward to hearing your experience. I'm curious if the cross bars can be mounted (2 or more) on just the rear hardtop (not using the freedom panels).

I'm in a similar situation. I don't think any gutter-mounted system is capable of holding a rooftop tent. Remember to consider both the static (include the weight of people in the tent) and dynamic weight limits of the gutter-mounted system. I definitely wouldn't mount any crossbars to the freedom panels since the aerodynamic lifting forces on cargo carriers and tents can be quite high.
This is exactly what I'm hoping to find - a gutter-mounted system that can hold the static weight of a RTT plus two people. I had a feeling I may be over-the-top with my thinking. I'm not sure anyone has a definitive answer to the weight that our fiberglass hardtops can hold. Agree with your last statement 100% (plus I want the option of removing them underneath the rack system).
Sponsored

AgentTML

First Name
Tri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon (2018), Honda Pilot Touring (2010), Ford C-Max SEL (2013)
I hadn't heard of this company, thank you for your suggestion. I'll check out the rack system and drop-in kayak carriers. Have you received the 2 cross bars and had a chance to install them? I'll look forward to hearing your experience. I'm curious if the cross bars can be mounted (2 or more) on just the rear hardtop (not using the freedom panels).

This is exactly what I'm hoping to find - a gutter-mounted system that can hold the static weight of a RTT plus two people. I had a feeling I may be over-the-top with my thinking. I'm not sure anyone has a definitive answer to the weight that our fiberglass hardtops can hold. Agree with your last statement 100% (plus I want the option of removing them underneath the rack system).
I just received the shipment yesterday. Will probably install this weekend and take pictures for you. If you go to their website, you can see they use 3 crossbars for RTT set up and they mount it on the freedom panels as well.

https://www.smsparts.com/roof-top-tent-racks-for-all-jeeps

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I had this old RV aluminum roof rails in storage. I was thinking the fiberglass roof has runners molded in to it. The combo will never rust due to scratches and will hold light items. I sometimes like to tent camp with a cot in my big old Coleman 6 person easyup tent. The rails on the roof hold the bulky tent easily. This aluminum rail system weighs 6 lbs. as sized for my JLR ....
JL aluminum roof rack 1.jpeg

Works for me. here's one for $50 https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stromberg-Carlson-Products-Roof-Rail-LA-500/305386089

AgentTML

First Name
Tri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

AgentTML

First Name
Tri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's my report for the SMS Auto Parts' Exposed Racks 2-Racks system for 2018+ JL (2 Dr) / JLU / JT (4 Dr) Hardtop.

I chose this system because it looked like it would meet my needs:

1. Easy to install and take down (if necessary)
2. Can support carrying a RTT in the future in case I need to.
3. Can be installed with a soft-top in case I get a soft-top in the future.

I ordered through George @SMS Auto Parts during the ordering process and he was very courteous and helpful!

This is what I purchased:
The 2 crossbars rack system: (I will get another crossbar in the future if I decide to get a RTT)
https://www.smsparts.com/product-page/8-00-9755-bk-m-f-jl-jlu-hard-top-pkg-txt-blk

Support feet: (to spread weight evenly across the crossbar / hard-top)
https://www.smsparts.com/product-page/8-00-9915-1-5-ss-feet-for-o-land-xbars

Click-in Brackets (B18): (for possible use in the future for a RTT or a cargo basket)
https://www.smsparts.com/product-pa...racket-3-8-x4-5-5-16-bolt-holes-sits-parallel

These items were FedEx to me and I received them within a 5 days from ordering (including weekends).

This is what it looked like when unboxed:

269448-63aa890881ac671bb7d72b2157639cc8.jpg
269449-f9a079716a6f3e43c9d462f8fb129219.jpg
269450-bbb978b5ef2b28f2c8f398faca69f718.jpg

The crossbars are stored in the long black tubes you see in picture #2. Overall, items were very securely packaged.

Close up shot of the support feet:
269451-84bb69ff22ca394c011b91d1e02a8ca4.jpg

Installation was very straight forward and the provided installation instructions were easy to follow. Came with hex wrenches for installation but you will need a regular adjustable wrench for install as well.

I did encounter a small issue with one of the bolts that attaches the crossbar to the bracket that sits on the gutter. Not sure if the issue is with the bolt being out of spec or the bracket being out of spec, but I couldn't tighten it completely and I most likely cross-threaded the bolt and nut. I worked with George @SMS Auto Parts and he will be shipping me replacement bolt and bracket.

This is what it looks like installed:
269452-10db24e509bdcd82ec0513634ae9d9cb.jpg
269453-4faa545585609b79b42286d697db88e5.jpg

269454-63e51f403f04ecebd73ba0ed2cfb4e27.jpg
269455-c35970b7a30f1670ff9b35dc6117ca32.jpg

20200111_130511.jpg

I didn't know how high the crossbars would sit but after installation,
they actually have very low profile!!! I really like that look. I measured the distance from the rooftop (at center) to the top of the crossbars and it was approximately 1.5"!

No noticeable increase in wind noise that I could discern with the crossbars installed.

We will be using it to carry the Thule Force L 628 cargo box for a ski trip next weekend so we'll see how it goes with the cargo box.
upload_2020-1-11_12-29-39.png

Hope this helps those looking for rack system for a 2-Door JL.

20200108_202249.jpg

20200108_202709.jpg

20200108_203503.jpg

20200108_210115.jpg

20200111_084521.jpg

20200111_084527.jpg

20200111_084540.jpg

20200111_084549.jpg

Last edited:

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Here's my report for the SMS Auto Parts' Exposed Racks 2-Racks system for 2018+ JL (2 Dr) / JLU / JT (4 Dr) Hardtop.

20200111_084521.jpg

20200111_084527.jpg

20200111_084540.jpg

20200111_084549.jpg
How did you come to the conclusion that this rack can "support carrying a RTT in the future?" Not trying to be a nudge... I'm looking for a solid rack system for my 2-door as well.

Also, note that crossbars should not be mounted to the freedom panels (per Mopar). This is likely due to the aerodynamic lift from cargo boxes, kayaks, etc.

AgentTML

First Name
Tri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How did you come to the conclusion that this rack can "support carrying a RTT in the future?" Not trying to be a nudge... I'm looking for a solid rack system for my 2-door as well.

Also, note that crossbars should not be mounted to the freedom panels (per Mopar). This is likely due to the aerodynamic lift from cargo boxes, kayaks, etc.
SMS Auto Parts is selling the racks with capability to support a RTT. It will require 3 crossbars, not just two.

Please visit their website for more info...they have a crossbar installed on the freedom panel. I guess I can shift the racks back further to be on the bolted down portion of the hardtop...but not sure if the Thule cargo box would fit in that set up.

https://www.smsparts.com/videos (see the 2nd video where they show the RTT)
https://www.smsparts.com/product-pa...ack-3ppl-2018-2021-jeep-wrangler-jl-jlu-2-4dr

Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door Roof Rack Options {filename}

Last edited:

dtortie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
@AgentTML Thank you for your follow up. Please share a picture of the Thule box once mounted. Great news that you hadn't noticed an increase in wind noise - that's one of my concerns with any rack system. I'm eager to hear what you think after living with it for a bit.

Sponsored

Kripas

First Name
Kripas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU

I ordered through George @SMS Auto Parts during the ordering process and he was very courteous and helpful!

This is what I purchased:
The 2 crossbars rack system: (I will get another crossbar in the future if I decide to get a RTT)
https://www.smsparts.com/product-pa...18-2021-jeep-wrangler-jl-2dr-jlu-4dr-hard-top

Support feet: (to spread weight evenly across the crossbar / hard-top)
https://www.smsparts.com/product-page/8-00-9915-1-5-ss-feet-for-o-land-xbars

Click-in Brackets (B18): (for possible use in the future for a RTT or a cargo basket)
https://www.smsparts.com/product-pa...racket-3-8-x4-5-5-16-bolt-holes-sits-parallel

These items were FedEx to me and I received them within a 5 days from ordering (including weekends).

This is what it looked like when unboxed:

The crossbars are stored in the long black tubes you see in picture #2. Overall, items were very securely packaged.

Close up shot of the support feet:

Installation was very straight forward and the provided installation instructions were easy to follow. Came with hex wrenches for installation but you will need a regular adjustable wrench for install as well.

I did encounter a small issue with one of the bolts that attaches the crossbar to the bracket that sits on the gutter. Not sure if the issue is with the bolt being out of spec or the bracket being out of spec, but I couldn't tighten it completely and I most likely cross-threaded the bolt and nut. I worked with George @SMS Auto Parts and he will be shipping me replacement bolt and bracket.

This is what it looks like installed:

I didn't know how high the crossbars would sit but after installation,
they actually have very low profile!!! I really like that look. I measured the distance from the rooftop (at center) to the top of the crossbars and it was approximately 1.5"!

No noticeable increase in wind noise that I could discern with the crossbars installed.

We will be using it to carry the Thule Force L 628 cargo box for a ski trip next weekend so we'll see how it goes with the cargo box.

Hope this helps those looking for rack system for a 2-Door JL.

Your click accessories will not work since you bought a Solid bar without a click hole.

AgentTML

First Name
Tri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Kripas

First Name
Kripas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU

AgentTML

First Name
Tri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Question, why the other one is 48 inch and the other is 51? . Can I buy 2x 51 instead.I'm Doing this to make the click whole aligned when I attach a long gear ( ex: awning , traction trail ). If you look the 51 and 48 whole they are not aligned outside.
You can buy both 51". I chose that configuration in case I wanted to use a soft top in the future.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
SMS Auto Parts is selling the racks with capability to support a RTT. It will require 3 crossbars, not just two.

Please visit their website for more info...they have a crossbar installed on the freedom panel. I guess I can shift the racks back further to be on the bolted down portion of the hardtop...but not sure if the Thule cargo box would fit in that set up.

https://www.smsparts.com/videos (see the 2nd video where they show the RTT)

How!?

The load is still being transferred to the top, not the structural roll bars!. The hardtop can only safely support like 150lbs or 100 lbs or something like that. So having an RTT on that, the load of the tent AND the people are still sitting on the top....
Sponsored