Knock in rear with Dana 44

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Hi fellow Jeepers,
I specifically signed up to this forum today to share my experience with this issue...
I have been experiencing the same knocking/clunking in the rear at very low speeds only when I decelerate around 15-25km/h as many of you on this forum. I took my Jeep in to the dealer on Nov 9th for them to have a look at it and directly first thing they said was I modified the tires and it is probably the reason why I hear a noise and simply told me nothing was wrong with the car...I drive on 33's BFGoodrich KO2.
I went back home and started doing my research and luckily stumbled upon this forum... I went back the next day and showed them that hundreds if not thousands of JL's had the same issue.
When he finally decided to look into it with care, he found that the drive shaft and rear transfer case had some issues, when he opened it SOLID BLACK OIL leaked out along with pieces of the gears, looked like small metal teeth if we can call it that... took them 3 weeks to order the parts as they were on back order and another 4 days to install them on the car... all in all a bit less than 5 weeks for me to fully recuperate my vehicle.
They changed the whole transfer case, rear drive shaft, replaced the oils and now the car is running smooth with no noise just like before.
I really hope that Jeep finds a solution to this issue as this is not a permanent fix... it is only patching up the wound with a newer/younger part.. the tech at Jeep told me that it is likely to happen again since we are only renewing the part and not changing the piece model itself for something compatible...If this is to happen again when the vehicle is no longer under warranty it will have to come out of our own pockets... This is insane for Brand new 2018-2020 JL's with barely 24,000km's on the car... makes no sense at all.
The good thing is that I was able to get it fixed, even though it took a long time...Now I am not sure what to do next as I feel it is a time ticking bomb until it breaks again...

Wish you all luck in this repair and I felt like I should post my experience as this forum helped me a lot getting my Jeep fixed, hope this will help new comers as well.
Cheers!

P.S I would post a picture of the 2 page repair sheet I got but everything is in french... I am from Montreal, QC
Glad they helped you. Please post the repair sheet anyway.
Sponsored

Tango_Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sahara 3.6L, '99 XJ 4.0L
Hi fellow Jeepers,
I specifically signed up to this forum today to share my experience with this issue...
I have been experiencing the same knocking/clunking in the rear at very low speeds only when I decelerate around 15-25km/h as many of you on this forum. I took my Jeep in to the dealer on Nov 9th for them to have a look at it and directly first thing they said was I modified the tires and it is probably the reason why I hear a noise and simply told me nothing was wrong with the car...I drive on 33's BFGoodrich KO2.
I went back home and started doing my research and luckily stumbled upon this forum... I went back the next day and showed them that hundreds if not thousands of JL's had the same issue.
When he finally decided to look into it with care, he found that the drive shaft and rear transfer case had some issues, when he opened it SOLID BLACK OIL leaked out along with pieces of the gears, looked like small metal teeth if we can call it that... took them 3 weeks to order the parts as they were on back order and another 4 days to install them on the car... all in all a bit less than 5 weeks for me to fully recuperate my vehicle.
They changed the whole transfer case, rear drive shaft, replaced the oils and now the car is running smooth with no noise just like before.
I really hope that Jeep finds a solution to this issue as this is not a permanent fix... it is only patching up the wound with a newer/younger part.. the tech at Jeep told me that it is likely to happen again since we are only renewing the part and not changing the piece model itself for something compatible...If this is to happen again when the vehicle is no longer under warranty it will have to come out of our own pockets... This is insane for Brand new 2018-2020 JL's with barely 24,000km's on the car... makes no sense at all.
The good thing is that I was able to get it fixed, even though it took a long time...Now I am not sure what to do next as I feel it is a time ticking bomb until it breaks again...

Wish you all luck in this repair and I felt like I should post my experience as this forum helped me a lot getting my Jeep fixed, hope this will help new comers as well.
Cheers!

P.S I would post a picture of the 2 page repair sheet I got but everything is in french... I am from Montreal, QC
So 5 weeks in Canada eh? I live in Alberta and my JLU has been in the shop for 4 weeks as of today. I was also told the part was on back order. Im not optimistic about the timing given this all happen over xmas.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
So I guess the November release of the updated part mentioned earlier is delayed or that rep was talking out his ass.

SJSK

First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
So 5 weeks in Canada eh? I live in Alberta and my JLU has been in the shop for 4 weeks as of today. I was also told the part was on back order. Im not optimistic about the timing given this all happen over xmas.
I’m in Saskatchewan and am in the same situation. First they checked rear end and said everything was fine and said it was the wheels, brakes etc. finally said it was the defective rear end as they were advised by this from FCA as they couldn’t find anything else wrong and consulted with them.

I’m still waiting on parts as this was diagnosed last week. My Jeep has 5000km on it. Did they keep your vehicle because it’s unsafe to drive? They gave me mine back and said that I can continue driving until the rear axle assembly comes in. I’m wondering if they should’ve kept mine to and given me a loaner.

Sponsored

StewieJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL 2018
LITTLE TIP if you can try it out with your dealer
We received a date from Jeep for the parts to be shipped but everyday kept on being pushed 1 day...2 days...3days until it reached 4 weeks of wait time... at that point my service rep wrote VEHICLE OFF ROAD (not driveable) and they shipped out the part 2 days later... not sure if it was a coincidence that she just happened to write that and it shipped or if it was already planned for that day but it seems to have put a rush on it.
Hope that helps and good luck

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi fellow Jeepers,

Cheers!

I feel like you're calling the rear diff the "rear transfer case"?

Was your t-case actually replaced (under the front seats) or your rear diff (between the rear wheels)?

To get BLACK oil out of the t-case would be impressive as it starts with ATF -- now I have seen it happen in an NV261's that boiled off their ATF for reasons I don't think anyone ever figured out. But if you were getting chunks of gear out of the t-case I'd think you'd have all manner of noises while driving and probably even popping out of 2hi whilst driving. Maybe not, though

Still, "I think....what we've got here....is failure to communicate."

StewieJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m in Saskatchewan and am in the same situation. First they checked rear end and said everything was fine and said it was the wheels, brakes etc. finally said it was the defective rear end as they were advised by this from FCA as they couldn’t find anything else wrong and consulted with them.

I’m still waiting on parts as this was diagnosed last week. My Jeep has 5000km on it. Did they keep your vehicle because it’s unsafe to drive? They gave me mine back and said that I can continue driving until the rear axle assembly comes in. I’m wondering if they should’ve kept mine to and given me a loaner.
Hey SJSK,
Sorry to hear just after 5000km... it's ridiculous
The mechanics at my dealer definitely had no clue about what he was doing or saying as they also told me it was my tires and brakes... and advised me to continue with my driving as if it was normal to have a knocking in the rear.
When I went back and showed him this thread he all of a sudden changed his whole story and finally took the time to look into it and found that the whole rear gearing and drive shaft was F****CKED... they ordered my parts but told me to leave my car at the dealer as it was not safe to drive.... FOR 5 WEEKS...OH and did I mention they never provided me with a courtesy vehicle... what a shame

StewieJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel like you're calling the rear diff the "rear transfer case"?

Was your t-case actually replaced (under the front seats) or your rear diff (between the rear wheels)?

To get BLACK oil out of the t-case would be impressive as it starts with ATF -- now I have seen it happen in an NV261's that boiled off their ATF for reasons I don't think anyone ever figured out. But if you were getting chunks of gear out of the t-case I'd think you'd have all manner of noises while driving and probably even popping out of 2hi whilst driving. Maybe not, though

Still, "I think....what we've got here....is failure to communicate."
Hey D60,

It's the rear diff between the rear wheels... sorry about that.
It's the terms they use here in french...

SJSK

First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Hey SJSK,
Sorry to hear just after 5000km... it's ridiculous
The mechanics at my dealer definitely had no clue about what he was doing or saying as they also told me it was my tires and brakes... and advised me to continue with my driving as if it was normal to have a knocking in the rear.
When I went back and showed him this thread he all of a sudden changed his whole story and finally took the time to look into it and found that the whole rear gearing and drive shaft was F****CKED... they ordered my parts but told me to leave my car at the dealer as it was not safe to drive.... FOR 5 WEEKS...OH and did I mention they never provided me with a courtesy vehicle... what a shame
Yes. This whole thing is just ridiculous. They said it was on order but I have a feeling that it is likely on back order and I won’t see the parts for a while. They claimed that FCA told them that it was the weight of the tires that made the axle defective . There was also no reply when I asked how replacing with the exact same part would fix the issue. Crazy how they didn’t give you a loaner. But who knows since they told me it’s safe to drive around until parts come in.

Sponsored

SJSK

First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Has anyone in this thread that is from Canada reported this issue to Transport Canada?
https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/ro...-child-car-seats/report-potential-defect.html
Reading this page it seems like this defect fits all categories especially if dealers are saying that the vehicle is unsafe to drive and the problem originated from manufacturer. They could force a recall in Canada after they investigate. This will be my next step regardless of my outcome especially if someone could get hurt because of the issue. If anyone reported this, message me and let me know your result.

Stickwagen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Porsche 912, 1991 VW Westfalia, 2007 Volvo XC 70, 2011 Subaru Tribeca, 2018 JLU Sport S
You can add me to the list. 2018 JLU Sport S February build date. Rear Dana 44 with LSD. Noise from rear end started around 15,000 miles. Jeep has been at the dealer since 1/2/20 waiting on new rear diff. Asked them to epoxy my rear defroster back on while they were at it. Jeep has been mostly trouble free, but this failure is a little worrisome. I mean how long have lsd’s been around for it’s not like it’s a new concept or anything. Guess it just irks me to pay extra for the “upgraded” axle only to have fail.

Reabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara unlimited 2018
Do all people having this issue have offsets or large wheels than stock?

Mine started doing it right after I got some new offset wheels.

Reactions: BJG

Reabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara unlimited 2018
Hi All,

So my jeep has been in the shop twice now for this same issue. First time at around 9k miles and 2nd time at around 14k. I just got it back last week from the 2nd visit. They did the exact same thing to it as the 1st time. Replaced the entire rear differential carrier assembly. They can't tell me what is causing the failure. All they say is that they have never seen anything like it. It's great Jeep is covering the repair under warranty. But what is going to happen when our warranty runs out? I am not confident my rear diff is permanently fixed. I guess I'll find out in another few thousand miles... frustrating.
Buy an extended warranty while you can. Should eventually be a service bulletin to fix.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Do all people having this issue have offsets or large wheels than stock?

Mine started doing it right after I got some new offset wheels.
Most. But there’s been people with the problem without adding any larger tires.
Sponsored