Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I would just take it back to the dealer and ask them to fix it under warranty. You can rely on @JeepCares or Jeep Wave if you run into any BS.

Good luck.

OP
OP
DiggityDog

DiggityDog

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLU Rubicon
Any pictures of what it looked like before?

Certain they removed the tailgate to paint something...was it the hinges that needed touch-up??

Looks like they didnt realign the hinges on the tailgate properly.

At the factory they paint it assembled with the hinges on(same for doors, windshield, tailgate, etc..) which is why there is no color behind the hinge.

I recently installed atlas door hinge steps and when you remove the hinges its unpainted behind it and you have to realign the hinges just right when reinstalling or you will see that unpainted outline like you have in your photo.

If your good with your hands try loosening the hinges and realign the hinges on the tailgate. Or have the dealer do it, it can be tricky. Touch up the bolt areas thereafter with touch up paint.

Good luck.
The hinges weren't adjusted at any time. The paint line fades into the primer all around the hinge. Every hinge on the Jeep has some primer showing all around the hinge. Every hinge. There is even primer showing under the back side of the hinges.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DiggityDog

DiggityDog

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLU Rubicon
Update...

I went to the dealer and they confirmed the issue, primer showing. I went out to the lot and looked at the other Wranglers. They all have primer showing. Its just worse on the black and blue wranglers because of the contrast. My tailgate hinges are the worst of all the Jeeps that I saw today. I didn't notice the model years of the Jeeps that I saw on the lot, so I don't know if its a 2020 "thing."

The dealer sent me to a collision shop that they do business with. The guy at the shop saw a bunch of other blemishes on the car. He was amazed at the lack of quality. His estimate was $3200! His estimate included removing and repainting the tail gate, the four doors, the hood and front quarter panels. I'm not sure of how to proceed...do I want a nearly-completely repainted Jeep? ugh!!!

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Tailgate is magnesium.

Brett
Ah sh!#. Really? I've had decades of chasing broken and cracked magnesium parts in the aircraft industry. It always looks like a great material to the original designer. But the fatigue properties of mag suck. Then, years later, someone has to either keep replacing parts or design an aluminum replacement. The corrosion properties of mag are also poor.

clayps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Ah sh!#. Really? I've had decades of chasing broken and cracked magnesium parts in the aircraft industry. It always looks like a great material to the original designer. But the fatigue properties of mag suck. Then, years later, someone has to either keep replacing parts or design an aluminum replacement. The corrosion properties of mag are also poor.
Could be wrong, but I think the internal structure is mag but the skin is not.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Update...

I went to the dealer and they confirmed the issue, primer showing. I went out to the lot and looked at the other Wranglers. They all have primer showing. Its just worse on the black and blue wranglers because of the contrast. My tailgate hinges are the worst of all the Jeeps that I saw today. I didn't notice the model years of the Jeeps that I saw on the lot, so I don't know if its a 2020 "thing."

The dealer sent me to a collision shop that they do business with. The guy at the shop saw a bunch of other blemishes on the car. He was amazed at the lack of quality. His estimate was $3200! His estimate included removing and repainting the tail gate, the four doors, the hood and front quarter panels. I'm not sure of how to proceed...do I want a nearly-completely repainted Jeep? ugh!!!
Hi Pete,
We sincerely regret to hear about your experience with your new JL. If you need any assistance while working with your dealer, please send our team a PM.
Alex
JeepCares

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Just a thought, any repair will be on the "carfax" and there will be diminished value. yes? Tennessee appears to be a "diminished value" state.

I've seen repair paint that doesn't hold up as well as factory baked on paint. What's the likelyhood 4-5 years down the road you have a problem with the paint and you're left holding the bag?

Frankly, your situation sucks, but I'd opt for the dealer just giving you some discount and have a touch-up airbrush guy do a minimally invasive touch-up of the very local area. Then, if the paint fails in that area 4-5 years down the road, it would be a minimal repair.

OP
OP
DiggityDog

DiggityDog

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLU Rubicon
Just a thought, any repair will be on the "carfax" and there will be diminished value. yes? Tennessee appears to be a "diminished value" state.

I've seen repair paint that doesn't hold up as well as factory baked on paint. What's the likelyhood 4-5 years down the road you have a problem with the paint and you're left holding the bag?

Frankly, your situation sucks, but I'd opt for the dealer just giving you some discount and have a touch-up airbrush guy do a minimally invasive touch-up of the very local area. Then, if the paint fails in that area 4-5 years down the road, it would be a minimal repair.
Thats what I've been thinking. Not sure if I want the whole car being repainted. I don't want to have to explain that the Jeep was repainted due to an inadequate job at the factory and not due to an accident. Either explanation would give a potential buyer pause. I submitted my claim to FCA through the dealer (who has been great helping me through this situation), so we'll see what FCA has to say.

EvanH84

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
My Sahara altitude came with a ripples texture from the fiberglass under my paint. Luckily I just had to have the one freedom panel resprayed.. I have heard of a few paint issues on the 2020’s..

It is a bit crazy how many quality issues are still lingering, production has been going on for two years now.

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2-Door Manual JLR
Update...

Yea, my 2019 Jeep looks like that too, but I have a hinge reinforcement kit which is likely covering up more of the problem. It's a Jeep thing, and not in the good way. Best way to deal with it is mutter "jeep" under your breath, and enjoy driving with the top down. Then, head out to a trail and get the fenders and doors pinstriped on a shrub or rock. Better yet, get the fenders torn clean off, then replace with aftermarket. Alternatively, park the Jeep in a lot under a tree, everyday, untill the birds bomb it out real bad and you get cracks in the clear coat. I should have waxed it first day back from the dealer, but life got busy.

You could blow a ton of money and just repaint the whole thing, but why? Best time to spend on paint is after fifteen years or more, when you refurb the whole thing.

It's a Jeep, beat on it a little, shine it up, and the bad factory paint will not be such a problem.
Sponsored