Rear defrost burnt/discolored

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Yup...mine too. Burnt to a crisp....don't even know if it still works...guess I need some cold weather :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Notviper

Notviper

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab Edition
Hey all, a quick update here – the dealership took a look at the issue and they are ordering me a new rear window. They estimate it'll be shipped in about a week for it to arrive, so I'll update once I have it back in to get it replaced.

dj3513

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Unlimited / Granite Crystal Metallic / Sky One–Touch Power Top
Hey all, a quick update here – the dealership took a look at the issue and they are ordering me a new rear window. They estimate it'll be shipped in about a week for it to arrive, so I'll update once I have it back in to get it replaced.
Thanks for the update!!! Did they say the cause?

OP
OP
Notviper

Notviper

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab Edition
Thanks for the update!!! Did they say the cause?
No problem! I hadn't heard exactly what the cause was yet, but I will ask when I take it back in to get the glass replaced.

dj3513

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No problem! I hadn't heard exactly what the cause was yet, but I will ask when I take it back in to get the glass replaced.
Mine is at the dealer today for this. Did they ever tell you the cause?

Sponsored

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
My first thought was the heater element didn’t have good enough heat transfer to the glass to keep its own temperature under the point where it discolors. The trace doesn’t appear lifted from the glass, does it?

Olanys

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
Had this for a while... and my connector is no longer attached. Very interested to hear what happened

dj3513

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My first thought was the heater element didn’t have good enough heat transfer to the glass to keep its own temperature under the point where it discolors. The trace doesn’t appear lifted from the glass, does it?
Nope. Everything is working fine except for the burnt discoloration. I will report back once i hear from the dealer.

dj3513

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
****Update**** Just spoke to the dealer. They stated it's operating fine and its just oxidation. ( Not sure if I buy this). They said they looked at other 2019 JLU's that were in for service and they all had the same thing. Only time will tell.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
If all is working enjoy!!

I've had 4 "fixes all failed, one new window failed. now new HT wiring harness replaced and as 0f one day wire still connected!! Never discolored just connectors becoming disconnected ie unsoldered!

I'm kinda thinking if the defrost working despite the color leave it!!!

Go Jeep!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Notviper

Notviper

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab Edition
Hi all – here is an update on my Jeep. I got it back from the dealership, and the rear window was replaced in my case.

I do appreciate that they worked with me to get the issue fixed, but I didn't get a clear answer as to what the cause was. The paperwork says that the cause was "defrost lines burn out" which what it looked like to me, but I'm honestly still not quite sure.

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Bad connections can get very hot in spots...don’t be surprised if the wire contact comes off. If you are not under warranty, the permatex conductive epoxy repair kit has worked well for me.

1. select a new spot rather than reusing the same attachment and lightly sand/ scuff in several directions.
2. Let the activator dry . Then let it dry some more. I think that’s why it doesn’t work for some people.
3. Trim the black boot back so the contact is able to be flat on the new attachment point.
4. Knead the epoxy packet twice as long as you think you need to. Then just before use, knead it again. It only takes a small spot for the job. More is not better.

dj3513

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi all – here is an update on my Jeep. I got it back from the dealership, and the rear window was replaced in my case.

I do appreciate that they worked with me to get the issue fixed, but I didn't get a clear answer as to what the cause was. The paperwork says that the cause was "defrost lines burn out" which what it looked like to me, but I'm honestly still not quite sure.
Thanks for the update!!! Let us know over time if it burns out again.

OP
OP
Notviper

Notviper

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab Edition
Posting another update on this thread. I mentioned on the thread that I had the rear glass replaced by the dealership back in December.

Here's what it looked like after it was freshly replaced:

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear defrost burnt/discolored IMG_5490

And now, 6 months later:

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear defrost burnt/discolored IMG_0256

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear defrost burnt/discolored IMG_0257

Looks to be returning to the same discoloration I had seen with the previous window. Others have pointed this out, but I think that this is oxidation on the defrost lines.

Still seems kind of strange for this to be considered "normal," but who knows.
Sponsored