I got a lemon JL?

jjjstc

First Name
JJJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I traded in my 2014 JK and bought a new 2019 JL Sahara in December 2019. Only 3 weeks after the purchase, I saw a lot of issues with this brand new JL:
1. check engine light came on, with code U0074
2. battery warning light came on, showing low voltage
3. auto start/stop warning light came on, the vehicle could not start after it was auto off
4. most dangerous problem: the steering wheel lost power when I was exiting the highway. I had to turn the wheel very hard to exit the highway, and suddenly the steering power was back and I nearly had an accident. This steering problem happened nearly every one minute 2 days later on my way to the dealership for diagnostic.

And one thing I am not sure if it is normal or an issue: the ETC light came on after I started the vehicle, but it disappeared very quickly.

The vehicle is now in dealership for diagnostic. I filed a claim in Chrysler's customer service website, and they contacted me saying they are reviewing my case. I will update the post when I get response from dealership or Chrysler.
Sponsored

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a troll. How many accounts are created daily where the OP just talks about how bad their Jeep is?

Mods should put rules in-place on new members to prove their legit.

OP
OP

jjjstc

First Name
JJJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like battery issues. Easy fix and doubt your Jeep is a lemon.
I don't think the steering wheel issue is related to the battery. i monitored the battery voltage. The steering issue occurs when the voltage is stable at 14V. There are many threads in Wrangler forum complaining the steering wheel problem in JL.

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Sounds like a troll. How many accounts are created daily where the OP just talks about how bad their Jeep is?

Mods should put rules in-place on new members to prove their legit.
Lots of people find the forum when they web search for issues with their Jeep. Just sayin'

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I don't think the steering wheel issue is related to the battery. i monitored the battery voltage. The steering issue occurs when the voltage is stable at 14V. There are many threads in Wrangler forum complaining the steering wheel problem in JL.
O boy, here we go again:angel: Seriously, give the dealer a chance to fix it. It might be something simple or something extreme. Not all Jeeps are Lemons, but they are mechanical and sometimes shit breaks. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Not all Jeeps have "steering problems" and the Earth isn't flat and yes, we have been to the moon. Now, take a deep breath. It will be ok. :like:

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
If you did have an intermittent battery issue the dash would not pick up any sudden drop outs. Over on some other boards there have been cases of bad grounds and bad 48V battery connections with similar symptoms to what you are describing.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
There was another thread with similar symptoms and turned out to be grounding strap on the power steering unit. Caused battery drain and bad steering issues. Sounds the same.

Nohair989

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport
O boy, here we go again:angel: Seriously, give the dealer a chance to fix it. It might be something simple or something extreme. Not all Jeeps are Lemons, but they are mechanical and sometimes shit breaks. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Not all Jeeps have "steering problems" and the Earth isn't flat and yes, we have been to the moon. Now, take a deep breath. It will be ok. :like:
Wait, we've been to the moon!?!? Are you sure? I mean REALLY SURE?

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I traded in my 2014 JK and bought a new 2019 JL Sahara in December 2019. Only 3 weeks after the purchase, I saw a lot of issues with this brand new JL:
1. check engine light came on, with code U0074
2. battery warning light came on, showing low voltage
3. auto start/stop warning light came on, the vehicle could not start after it was auto off
4. most dangerous problem: the steering wheel lost power when I was exiting the highway. I had to turn the wheel very hard to exit the highway, and suddenly the steering power was back and I nearly had an accident. This steering problem happened nearly every one minute 2 days later on my way to the dealership for diagnostic.

And one thing I am not sure if it is normal or an issue: the ETC light came on after I started the vehicle, but it disappeared very quickly.

The vehicle is now in dealership for diagnostic. I filed a claim in Chrysler's customer service website, and they contacted me saying they are reviewing my case. I will update the post when I get response from dealership or Chrysler.
You have the 3.6 or 2.0?

Did you order or buy off the lot? It's very common for batteries to drain down while sitting on dealer lots. A brand new battery can be damaged if run down and drained enough. Jumping and charging will not fix a battery that has been drained. Many times a new healthy battery is the fix.

All kinds of things can go wrong if the charging system and batteries are not 100%. Could very well all be related to the batteries and charging system. A huge percentage of warranty claims are due to the 3.6 ESS battery or main battery. It's rare but I think there are a couple of owners who had the 48V battery replaced.

Last edited:
OP
OP

jjjstc

First Name
JJJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You have the 3.6 or 2.0? Could very well all be related to the batteries and charging system. A huge percentage of warranty claims are due to the 3.6 ESS battery or main battery. All kinds of things can go wrong if they charging system and batteries are not 100%.
It is 2.0.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
It is 2.0.
It's way too early to say you have a lemon. A lemon is usually a vehicle that has been out of service for 30 days or more. And/Or multiple attempts to make repairs failed, usually 3 attempts. The legal definition varies by State.

I totally get your frustration. FCA can do better. We buy new cars because we expect them to be problem free. Rightfully so. It's never a good feeling to have issues right off the bat. Good news is you have a new car warranty. Something simple like a bad battery or bad ground can trigger multiple malfunctions. Give your dealer a chance. The dealer should be able to diagnose the problem. Hopefully they find the issue quickly and parts are available. In the mean time hopefully they put you in a loaner.

Last edited: