Sponsored

Chipped Paint on hood. Best fix? How often to wax/detail vehicle?

wampeter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler • Sahara • I4 2.0L
Hey all. Have what is probably a very novice/simple question, but relatively new to the Jeep family and wasn’t sure the best way to handle an area of chipped paint to my 2018 JL Wrangler. Not sure exactly what happened, but assume that a pebble or something chipped a small piece of paint off of my hood (~3mm) right above the front grill (see attached photos). I’ve had the car a bit over a year and the paint job is definitely showing a little wear in general (in CO and in the mountains a bunch, rock salt in Winter, etc...).

Was curious how you all would go about getting this fixed to avoid any rusting and just so it stops annoying me whenever I look at it... Assume that the Jeep dealership/body shop will charge a crazy amount. Any easy at home kits to fill in a defect like this, or should I be contacting car detailers in the area? Will i need to go to the dealership to get the color matched appropriately?

Also, how often do you all wax/detail your vehicle?

Thanks in advance!

CBD6D79D-A88A-4058-B479-61F83E39E29A.jpeg

4F99ED02-5862-4FED-8936-BAFD1CFCE2F1.jpeg
Sponsored

KeithM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 06 Duramax, e39 Touring
Occupation
Software
I detail it whenever it isn’t perfectly clean :)

I’m using Sonax polymer net shield - applied when brand new and after a snowy / muddy Moab trip. I’ll probably do that twice a year. It helps water bead making my weekly washes easier. Cool thing about PNS is it’s good for plastics. I do a quick foam wash weekly. Use Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer when drying after leaf blower or quick drive. Aerospace 303 on tires weekly and the rest of plastics at least monthly. We’ll see how long I keep this up, but so far it has been easy and rewarding having a perfectly clean Jeep.

Sorry, I don’t have any advice on the chip. My BMW is chipped like crazy but it has an aluminum hood and it stays in sunny SoCal garaged so I don’t stress about it. I think the JLs hood is aluminum.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I apply Clear Paint protection Film to all of my cars because I hate stone chips. I have used Dr Color Chip when I do get them. They custom mix the paint for your specific paint code. Paint fills nice and clean, no blobs. It's pretty good.

https://www.drcolorchip.com

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
wampeter

wampeter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler • Sahara • I4 2.0L

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
From what I’ve read PDN is the color code for “Sting Grey” which is my vehicles color. Is Destroyer Grey another name for the same (color code is identical)?
Yes indeed:like: I haven't had to use mine yet. Been over a year :fingerscrossed:

IMG_20200106_130745425.jpg

Last edited:

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
Yea just prep area with a little rubbing alcohol to make sure its clean, then just dab a drop of the lacquer touch up paint and you should be good to go. I had a small rock chip near my door when I took delivery and touched it up. I read some touch up forums and a lot of them recommend not trying to use the clear coat part after the touch up. Its not necessary and usually makes it look worse.

Last edited:

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
I apply Clear Paint protection Film to all of my cars because I hate stone chips. I have used Dr Color Chip when I do get them. It's pretty good.

https://www.drcolorchip.com
Curious...Did you do partial PPF on your hood or whole hood? If the whole hood, how did your installer deal with the Rubicon decal lettering? I'm a big proponent of PPF, but only like doing full panels, since the edge line of partials bug me. I did the grill, windshield surround, and all four flares on my JLR, but skipped the hood because of the lettering and how PPF usually looks around the edges of decals.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Yes indeed:like: I haven't had to use mine yet. Been over a year :fingerscrossed:

IMG_20200106_130745425.jpg
OBVIOUSLY you and I are not working our Jeeps hard enough off-road yet ;)

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Hood is aluminum. It won’t rust, just touch it up if it cosmetically bothers you.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Curious...Did you do partial PPF on your hood or whole hood? If the whole hood, how did your installer deal with the Rubicon decal lettering? I'm a big proponent of PPF, but only like doing full panels, since the edge line of partials bug me. I did the grill, windshield surround, and all four flares on my JLR, but skipped the hood because of the lettering and how PPF usually looks around the edges of decals.
I did partial hood. The installer removed the Rubicon decals and applied new OEM decals over film. I also did windshield surround, grill, flares, door cups, door edges, door stills.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
mopar touch up paint pen and you are good to good. i've used a black sharpi with i had a black car.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mopar touch up paint pen and you are good to good. i've used a black sharpi with i had a black car.
That black Sharpie is invaluable for touching up scratches to the hard top also. And to black rims.