USB Charging Port not shutting off

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
So the manual says the USB ports will shut off an hour after the Jeep has been shut down. When I got into my Jeep today the earbud I kept in the USB port was lit up, so it was still charging. This was 14 hours after I shut down my Jeep last night. Does anyone else notice this? Isn’t it draining my battery charging for 14 hours??
Sponsored

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So the manual says the USB ports will shut off an hour after the Jeep has been shut down. When I got into my Jeep today the earbud I kept in the USB port was lit up, so it was still charging. This was 14 hours after I shut down my Jeep last night. Does anyone else notice this? Isn’t it draining my battery charging for 14 hours??
Are you using one of the ports on the dash or the one in the console or the ones behind the console?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I believe they do shut off after 60 mins when not in use but if something is left plugged into them it keeps charging and using power from the battery to do this

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@Jennalee one test you can do fairly easy is to take the USB cover and flip it up so you can see the ports then start your Jeep for just a minute and then shut it down and leave the Jeep and set a timer on your phone for 60 mins and after the timer goes off go out and without unlocking it observe thru the window to see if the port is still lit and it shouldn’t be, obliviously don’t have anything plugged into the ports for the test

OP
OP
Jennalee

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Jennalee one test you can do fairly easy is to take the USB cover and flip it up so you can see the ports then start your Jeep for just a minute and then shut it down and leave the Jeep and set a timer on your phone for 60 mins and after the timer goes off go out and without unlocking it observe thru the window to see if the port is still lit and it shouldn’t be, obliviously don’t have anything plugged into the ports for the test
Good idea! Taking it to the dealer tomorrow for a broken passenger seat. Was going to have them look at the USB port, not that they know anything :swear:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Good idea! Taking it to the dealer tomorrow for a broken passenger seat. Was going to have them look at the USB port, not that they know anything :swear:
You can ask the dealer to do this but you are better off doing it yourself is to check to ensure all the fuses are fully seated... this is a very easy task and no tools needed, lots of us here found lots of fuses not fully seated and that to can cause issues

OP
OP
Jennalee

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can ask the dealer to do this but you are better off doing it yourself is to check to ensure all the fuses are fully seated... this is a very easy task and no tools needed, lots of us here found lots of fuses not fully seated and that to can cause issues
Oh yes I did that already when I was having problems with my display screen :headbang: Guess I really have to try to remember not to leave anything in the port.

mreloc

First Name
ME
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Altitude; VWGTI
Sorry to derail - but what happened to your passenger seat so soon?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jennalee

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to derail - but what happened to your passenger seat so soon?
I noticed from the beginning that the passenger side didn’t pull forward as much as the driver side to let passengers in. I rarely fold the seats up as I normally don’t have more than one passenger. This past Saturday when my passenger tried to get in the back, the latch to fold the seat up broke and the back of the seat would move freely and wouldn’t lock into position. Actually I wasn’t shocked since I have been reading here that the seats in the JL break easily.

Dropped it off at the dealer and unfortunately he said it could take over a week to fix because they have to take the whole seat out.

As far as the USB port goes, the advisor told me his Cherokee does the same thing. When he leaves his tablet in the USB port it charges the entire time it’s plugged in, all night. So I guess that IS normal.

mreloc

First Name
ME
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Altitude; VWGTI
I noticed from the beginning that the passenger side didn’t pull forward as much as the driver side to let passengers in. I rarely fold the seats up as I normally don’t have more than one passenger. This past Saturday when my passenger tried to get in the back, the latch to fold the seat up broke and the back of the seat would move freely and wouldn’t lock into position. Actually I wasn’t shocked since I have been reading here that the seats in the JL break easily.

Dropped it off at the dealer and unfortunately he said it could take over a week to fix because they have to take the whole seat out.

As far as the USB port goes, the advisor told me his Cherokee does the same thing. When he leaves his tablet in the USB port it charges the entire time it’s plugged in, all night. So I guess that IS normal.
Well hopefully our jeeps’ teething problems are soon resolved :)

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase

Well hopefully our jeeps’ teething problems are soon resolved :)
This is why I hate dealer service .... they can’t seem to do anything in a day, I’m sure they have a list of vehicles to work on but seriously a week.... they should have maybe spent day 1/2 day to determine what’s needed then let you have the vehicle until a needed part arrives then take another 1/2 day addressing it.

And just an FYI on the USB port ... I tested mine yesterday and it takes right at 60 mins to shut down but when I left my phone plugged in it stayed powered up until I unplugged it and it was several hours.

OP
OP
Jennalee

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is why I hate dealer service .... they can’t seem to do anything in a day, I’m sure they have a list of vehicles to work on but seriously a week.... they should have maybe spent day 1/2 day to determine what’s needed then let you have the vehicle until a needed part arrives then take another 1/2 day addressing it.
I told the service advisor I’d like to pick it up once diagnosed and bring it home while they waited for parts to come in and were ready to get to work. He said that was fine but I don’t trust them to actually call me to pick it up so I’ll bug them today. I really miss my Jeep! :(

And just an FYI on the USB port ... I tested mine yesterday and it takes right at 60 mins to shut down but when I left my phone plugged in it stayed powered up until I unplugged it and it was several hours.
Wow thanks for checking that! Guess we really need to make sure everything is unplugged from now on. :facepalm:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I told the service advisor I’d like to pick it up once diagnosed and bring it home while they waited for parts to come in and were ready to get to work. He said that was fine but I don’t trust them to actually call me to pick it up so I’ll bug them today. I really miss my Jeep! :(

Wow thanks for checking that! Guess we really need to make sure everything is unplugged from now on. :facepalm:
If you left a phone on tablet plugged in overnight it’s doubtful it would draw enough from the battery and I think and not 100 % sure I believe it would shut it down automatically if the battery gets to low but I can’t be sure
Sponsored