Sponsored

Jeep Wrangler 4xe will be name of PHEV Hybrid Electric model. Coming late 2020

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
One factor not yet discussed is weight, specifically the fact that a plug in hybrid will be over 6000 GVWR. That will make it eligible for a Section 179 deduction which is a huge incentive for any business owner who will be able to write off the entire purchase price of the vehicle in year 1.

I have been waiting for the hybrid for exactly that reason - the tax benefit will likely be worth $15,000 - $20,000 to me, depending on the cost of the vehicle and our tax rate. That is before the plug in credit from the feds.

FWIW, the diesel qualifies as well.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
One factor not yet discussed is weight, specifically the fact that a plug in hybrid will be over 6000 GVWR. That will make it eligible for a Section 179 deduction which is a huge incentive for any business owner who will be able to write off the entire purchase price of the vehicle in year 1.

I have been waiting for the hybrid for exactly that reason - the tax benefit will likely be worth $15,000 - $20,000 to me, depending on the cost of the vehicle and our tax rate. That is before the plug in credit from the feds.

FWIW, the diesel qualifies as well.
Blank the incentive...if I wanted an incentive I'd buy a Prius

Last edited:

Sponsored

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
Not a fair comparison....start with the weight differences of those vehicles to a JLUR.
That's why I stated "While obviously lighter and smaller...". I agree the Wrangler would need a larger ICE to charge the battery system. But nothing like a 3.0L V6 or Hemi.

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Application is the issue. The Volt and i3 were passenger cars with little to no payload or work duty requirements. As such, either of those cars could be pushed down the road with a 60 hp 3-cylinder motor sufficiently. In the volt, at highway speed the electric motor actually turned off and a clutch connected the ICE directly to the wheels as that was more efficient then generating electricity. Plus, the Volt was sold at a pretty significant loss to GM.

In a truck or Jeep application, the load requirements are exponentially higher than a passenger car. Big tires, loaded down heavy, or towing, there are times we are at WOT asking for everything the little pentastar can supply. For instance, running 80mph down the highway requires double the horsepower and fuel as running at 50 mph. Just how big and heavy of a battery are you going to install to try to make up the difference? What happens when the battery runs out? Are you willing to drop your speed down to 50 instead of 80 until you get to your destination because that's all the horsepower your "range extender" makes?
Your arguments make a lot of sense from a physics standpoint. Obviously (or maybe not) Jeep's engineers must have asked the same questions and faced the same issues, and come up with a solution that offers some benefit beyond what is already available; if not superior, why bother with the development costs? I'll wait to see the specs before I decide whether it's worth it to our particular family situation.

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My buddy has a Tesla and says it’s terrible for trips, repair times are terrible and loss of value is equally as bad. He said he would never recommend one. I drove it and it’s nice but it seems like they put the cart before the horse, infrastructure for support in terms of repairs and charging stations just aren’t there. He got the home charger and said his electricity bill tripled.
I think charging costs really depend on individual situations. We put solar on our home 3 years ago. Initially it had a 7-year payoff period but with rising electricity rates in CA it's down to 4.5, so we are 1.5 years away from "free electricity". Last year, even with charging our Volt November/December our total electricity bill for the year was $61. YMMV.

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blank the incentive...if I wanted an incentive I'd buy a Prius
This may be the most ignorant post I've read on here.

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Application is the issue. The Volt and i3 were passenger cars with little to no payload or work duty requirements. As such, either of those cars could be pushed down the road with a 60 hp 3-cylinder motor sufficiently. In the volt, at highway speed the electric motor actually turned off and a clutch connected the ICE directly to the wheels as that was more efficient then generating electricity. Plus, the Volt was sold at a pretty significant loss to GM.

In a truck or Jeep application, the load requirements are exponentially higher than a passenger car. Big tires, loaded down heavy, or towing, there are times we are at WOT asking for everything the little pentastar can supply. For instance, running 80mph down the highway requires double the horsepower and fuel as running at 50 mph. Just how big and heavy of a battery are you going to install to try to make up the difference? What happens when the battery runs out? Are you willing to drop your speed down to 50 instead of 80 until you get to your destination because that's all the horsepower your "range extender" makes?
Well said. A small ICE engine only works for passenger vehicles that aren't expected to be modified or to go off road.

I'm only a buyer if it comes with a normal engine and the EV power as well. I would prefer the 3.6 + the EV, but I would settle for the 4 pot and the EV.

I do, however, regret giving up the 6 speed. I have some other cars for that though.

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Hate to burst anyone’s granola-filled bubbles, and dreams of silently creeping through the wilderness and becoming one with Mother Gaia, but when running in electric-only mode the new wrangler will likely have to make an obnoxious artificial noise. See the article below on requirements for traveling below 18 mph:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/28/17059694/hybrid-ev-car-noise-nhtsa-nissan?_gl=1*os8wb1*

On the plus side, maybe future Tazers will let you turn it off or at the very least replace whatever sound FCA installs with a loop of “Kumbaya”

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Hate to burst anyone’s granola-filled bubbles, and dreams of silently creeping through the wilderness and becoming one with Mother Gaia, but when running in electric-only mode the new wrangler will likely have to make an obnoxious artificial noise. See the article below on requirements for traveling below 18 mph:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/28/17059694/hybrid-ev-car-noise-nhtsa-nissan?_gl=1*os8wb1*

On the plus side, maybe future Tazers will let you turn it off or at the very least replace whatever sound FCA installs with a loop of “Kumbaya”
And somehow my cousin's Tesla Model 3 is creepily quiet. Maybe she found a way to turn it off, who knows.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I think charging costs really depend on individual situations. We put solar on our home 3 years ago. Initially it had a 7-year payoff period but with rising electricity rates in CA it's down to 4.5, so we are 1.5 years away from "free electricity". Last year, even with charging our Volt November/December our total electricity bill for the year was $61. YMMV.
Noce you guys went solar! That really reduces your bill. I need to tell my buddy to do this haha

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Yep...federal mandate is annoying as shit on our RAV4 Hybrid.
Oh wow, it’s annoying? I was under the impression that for cars where it was already implemented, you don’t really hear it from inside the car unless you roll the windows down. Is that when it annoys you, or also even with the windows rolled up?

And somehow my cousin's Tesla Model 3 is creepily quiet. Maybe she found a way to turn it off, who knows.
The mandate doesn’t take full effect until late 2020.

Or, you know, unplug the speaker. Super complicated, I know.
It may be simple, it may not. It depends on how jeep engineers hide or embed the speaker. Try disabling the internal speaker on an old PC- the one that provides system errors during POST- not necessarily easy unless you know where to look on the motherboard. On a Jeep it may be as simple as pulling a fuse... but then again, maybe not. Maybe you’ll have an error message on the dash every time you start the jeep when it’s disabled (which a Tazer might be needed to clear).

Further, it introduces a moral and possibly legal dilemma. Say it ends up being a complicated process to disable the speaker, so you decide to leave it off permanently. Then, on the off chance you strike a pedestrian, possibly a blind one (or more likely a person buried in his or her cell phone)- you can no longer say, “sorry, my Jeep is built this way; it’s silent.” You’re responsible for modifying your jeep to be less safe than it was when purchased.
Sponsored