2018DeathTrap

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sport unlimited
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Sport

History: locking steering wheel, death wobble, drifting, and the worst - turn the steering full left or full right and almost nothing happens - maybe 7 to 10 degrees change in direction of travel, in other words, I cannot even turn a corner.
All intermittent - you never know when the issues will strike
I guess the steering just can't make up it's mind on how it wants to kill me!

1) In for service for locking steering wheel, service department replaced dampener, result - steering still locks + other steering issues - not a good thing on the side of a mountain trail - also have death wobble and drifting although these are the minor issues

2) In for service now for: turn the steering wheel full left or full right, wheels/tires move about 7-10 degrees - can't turn a corner it just goes straight. Not good if it happens in an emergency.

I am not taking this Jeep in for service 10 times on the same item as others have done. Jeep is lucky that no one died in their Death Trap. (it appears, but don't know for sure if any deaths have taken place)

I have had all the steering issues reported and I have had it - I am not going to wait until someone is killed for FCA to step up to the plate and do what is right.
If i do not have a definitive answer and proof of a fix from the service department, they will need to buy the jeep back because they sold me a new vehicle that is not safe to drive and i can prove it, as well as, I can find thousands of witnesses with the same issues.

Bottom line: These JEEP's (and other models) are a potential DEATH TRAP and after more than a year of reported issues by 1,000's of owners for the steering system, it would appear that FCA does not value life as these issues are POSITIVELY LIFE THREATENING - and it would appear that FCA is trying to sweep this under the rug and protect their profits.

They certainly do not tell you of the issues they know they have when you buy it do they!

2018DeathTrap
Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hmmm. Have you modified your jeep in any way? Wheels? Lift? Etc?

According to physics, your steering wheel and tire rod can't disagree intermittently. Either has play or doesn't. Effort can be intermittent, but not actual relationship

OP
OP

2018DeathTrap

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi There Toycrusher,
As far as wheels and lift, yes guilty as charged, (4" & 35s) however, the issues have all happened before and after the mods.
But let me say, i am not over the top when i am off road, my intention is to have the clearance i need to get to where i am going to do back packing etc, not out for life threatening joy rides.

The locking steering wheel was on the side of a mountain smooth terrain trail, maybe a level "2" at the worst , started into a turn and the steering wheel locked up requiring me to mussel it into the turn and it broke free in the process (this was good i was driving because without mussel it was about 600 ft down the side of the mountain), another time simply turning into a driveway and so on.
As far as the "turn the wheel but jeep does not follow my path ??? i turned the steering wheel freely to what should have been a 45 degree turn but the jeep goes almost straight - maybe 10 degrees of movement - who knows, maybe the steering box is/was going.

My big issue is not so much the issue of the failures, things break (this i know, i am/was a jet engine mechanic for 20 years)
My issue is that if i go into the service department and am told there is no issue, but i can read of the 757 complaints specifically on steering to the NHTSA gov agency - https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/JEEP/WRANGLER/SUV/4WD%2520Later%2520Release#complaints - someone might not be on the up and up at the dealership service department,

The issues are happening on jeeps off the showroom floor without any mods and someone IS GOING TO DIE because of it, and its not going to be me or my family or anyone else on the road because of my jeep.

FCA simply needs to fix the problem, prove it is fixed, and i am good, however if they try this time to tell me there is no issue as they do for everyone else -
What can i do you ask...
I will start by having a Wrap done for the jeep. it will be of lemons with the largest sign i can legally mount on the top of the jeep listing the issues and the largest words - ASK YOUR SALESMAN and i will park the jeep across the street from the dealership. ya can't miss bright yellow!
Then i will reach out to the 757 complainants from the NHTSA and blog every blog site i can find, i can have my staff do this as well as other things needed to be the biggest pain in their ass i can possibly be until i am treated right.

If they cant fix it, no issue they can give my money back, trade me for a truck a car, don't really care, i just do not want my wife driving a death trap.

And i do love the jeep, it is a lot of fun, just dont want to die in it!

Thanks for the reply! and Happy New Year.

tom

OP
OP

2018DeathTrap

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Multicam,

i hope that is what they do, if they can't fix it, but i would really like it fixed, it is fun!

thanks!

Sponsored

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I have a 2 door Sport S, stock standard.

In the centre the steering is a bit loose. With the vehicle stationary, I had my wife turn the steering wheel while I watched from outside. The wheels turn a little. In other words it is designed for off roading. The turning circle is better than my wife's Mini Cooper!

To the OP, your Jeep is faulty. It doesnt mean all Jeeps are faulty.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse

History: locking steering wheel, death wobble, drifting, and the worst - turn the steering full left or full right and almost nothing happens - maybe 7 to 10 degrees change in direction of travel, in other words, I cannot even turn a corner.

1) In for service for locking steering wheel, service department replaced dampener, result - steering still locks + other steering issues - not a good thing on the side of a mountain trail - also have death wobble and drifting although these are the minor issues

2) In for service now for: turn the steering wheel full left or full right, wheels/tires move about 7-10 degrees - can't turn a corner it just goes straight. Not good if it happens in an emergency.

I am not taking this Jeep in for service 10 times on the same item as others have done. Jeep is lucky that no one died in their Death Trap. (it appears, but don't know for sure if any deaths have taken place)

I have had all the steering issues reported and I have had it - I am not going to wait until someone is killed for FCA to step up to the plate and do what is right.
If i do not have a definitive answer and proof of a fix from the service department, they will need to buy the jeep back because they sold me a new vehicle that is not safe to drive and i can prove it, as well as, I can find thousands of witnesses with the same issues.

Bottom line: These JEEP's (and other models) are a potential DEATH TRAP and after more than a year of reported issues by 1,000's of owners for the steering system, it would appear that FCA does not value life as these issues are POSITIVELY LIFE THREATENING - and it would appear that FCA is trying to sweep this under the rug and protect their profits.

They certainly do not tell you of the issues they know they have when you buy it do they!

2018DeathTrap

F4A53817-DC68-4AB9-85A2-3941A02B0703.jpeg

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Also, like said above, not all Jeeps are Death Traps! A little over exaggeration there. Just like any mechanical equipment, it breaks. Yours is broken. Get it fixed or get a Kia. If it's truly as you say, and not a drama llama, it will be replaced/repaired.

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Apparently someone on the nhtsa site is claiming a death due to related issues.....

Annotation 2020-01-02 114855.jpg

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

2018DeathTrap
It is best you get a buy-back and go get something else. A Jeep JL will never drive and steer as well as something with rack and pinion and modern IRS. This is the compromise we accept to get a competent off road vehicle.

It is true that FCA has some quality issues but even when those are addressed it still won't steer like a Honda, so no point going to the frustration to get those issues resolved to still be unhappy. Get a buy back and move on, life's too short to drive something you hate.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Definitely sounds like you're losing power steering. But with 400,000 of these Jeeps sold, 757 complaints is not quite that significant

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Let's see...Tom makes a new account yesterday with the name 2018 Death Trap and the post has several things that don't pass the sniff test. It's a 2018 that has been modified with a 4" lift and 35s but wants Jeep to buy it back?!? Steering locks unexpectedly but OP continues to drive it and wheel it. Says Jeep replaced the steering damper to fix steering lock??? OP is a 20 yr jet engine mechanic but can't crawl under the Jeep and conduct basic mechanical troubleshooting. If the wheels only turn 7-10 degrees with a full steering wheel turn, then the failure would be blatantly obvious with even a cursory inspection.
A lot reference to risk of death.....lol @GreyFox for "drama llama".

Oh, and it's muscle....
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.