Sponsored

Jeep Wrangler 4xe will be name of PHEV Hybrid Electric model. Coming late 2020

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Exactly, it didn’t pan out. Moot point..
Exactly what?

I don't know how the electric rates work in Florida, but if there is time-of-use/tiered structure or demand charges there could be more to it than what your buddy is letting on.
Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly what?

I don't know how the electric rates work in Florida, but if there is time-of-use/tiered structure or demand charges there could be more to it than what your buddy is letting on.
As in there was exactly no cost savings when using the home charging system.

Why would he lie?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Might not be worth it if you have really expensive electricity. But my Cousin does pay a lot less per mile with her Tesla than with her F-250.
If it's worth it in California (which happens to be where Tesla's are manufactured), it should be worth it in most other places. Florida included.

chart3.png

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
If it's worth it in California (which happens to be where Tesla's are manufactured), it should be worth it in most other places. Florida included.

chart3.png
probably so.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase

chart3.png
If you want one, go buy one. I’m not going to stop you nor do I care. I simply won’t purchase one based off of a friends experience, a friend whom I've known for 10 years. Results may vary. Go buy one.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You don't need a full-sized ICE. While obviously lighter and smaller, the Volt (1.5L 4) and the BMW i3 (0.65L 2-cylinder from a scooter) use small displacement engines to generate power for the electric motor. The 1.5L in the Volt gives it a total range of 420 miles (8.9 gallon fuel tank) and an MPGE of 106. So... no it's not double the cost for zero benefit. Especially since most of the time you're running on electric power only and using no gas at all.
Application is the issue. The Volt and i3 were passenger cars with little to no payload or work duty requirements. As such, either of those cars could be pushed down the road with a 60 hp 3-cylinder motor sufficiently. In the volt, at highway speed the electric motor actually turned off and a clutch connected the ICE directly to the wheels as that was more efficient then generating electricity. Plus, the Volt was sold at a pretty significant loss to GM.

In a truck or Jeep application, the load requirements are exponentially higher than a passenger car. Big tires, loaded down heavy, or towing, there are times we are at WOT asking for everything the little pentastar can supply. For instance, running 80mph down the highway requires double the horsepower and fuel as running at 50 mph. Just how big and heavy of a battery are you going to install to try to make up the difference? What happens when the battery runs out? Are you willing to drop your speed down to 50 instead of 80 until you get to your destination because that's all the horsepower your "range extender" makes?

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Some would say commuter/efficiency and short distance commercial are the majority or pretty darn close to the majority of vehicles on the road.
Which is exactly why a Tesla model 3 makes a great second vehicle. But you aren't going to save the planet buying 2nd vehicles...

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
If you want one, go buy one. I’m not going to stop you nor do I care. I simply won’t purchase one based off of a friends experience, a friend whom I've known for 10 years. Results may vary. Go buy one.
I'm having way to much trouble following this conversation. It's all over the place.