Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
For reference, here are the much more powerful Tesla motors in the D series. Anything under the JL would be the size of the Rear Drive unit or smaller most likely.

Model-X-dual-drive.jpg
If FCA partnered with Tesla it would be a pretty cool setup, but since this Wrangler PHEV is being developed in house, I don't think FCA has the tech at that level yet.
Sponsored

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
I've built 4x4 electric rigs with quad motors. A differential with a locker is far superior. Under high load, like lifting wheels caddy-corner, it ends up functioning like a rig with open diffs, the wheels in the air spin like crazy and there isn't enough torque to get the wheels with traction moving, at least not in a slow controlled manner like you would want when wheeling. A single motor and traditional t-case and driveline is the preferred solution for slow speed crawling
You don't present any technical details so while I respect your experience, I doubt that a purpose-built electric 4WD system designed from the ground up for traction and off-roading would function in a similar manner. Software or new hardware can replicate the function of all kinds of diffs. With power available at each wheel, it is simply a manner of designing a system to deploy it properly.

The Renegade's eAWD system is apparently capable of indepenent wheel power delivery similar to a limited-slip diff.

From what we've seen out of Rivian for example they are building extremely capable off-road machines, with precision torque delivery to each wheel as well.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Problem is, you would need a full sized ICE
With some battery capacity, I don't think you would need a full sized ICE. The ICE would just need enough power for the overall average load. The ICE could also be highly efficient in comparison, as it would only have to target one specific RPM (like a portable generator).

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beat up old VW Passat
Electric motors are great, but we've known that for like a century (electric automobiles were invented around the same time as ICE ones were). Its the batteries and charging solutions that suck. While we have made some improvements in the last few decades, they still suck compared to the energy density of liquid fuels, and that is highly unlikely to change in the next couple decades either.

Electric works great for commuter/efficiency vehicles, and short distance commercial vehicles, but its awful for pretty much anything else. Batteries (ie energy storage) are heavy as hell per unit of work, and "fast" charging has major thermodynamic limitations.

Maybe next year when we all live on space stations it will be a good solution for my flying car. :turkey:

Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Electric works great for commuter/efficiency vehicles, and short distance commercial vehicles, but its awful for pretty much anything else.
Some would say commuter/efficiency and short distance commercial are the majority or pretty darn close to the majority of vehicles on the road.

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
Problem is, you would need a full sized ICE, along with fuel system, exhaust system, cooling, etc just to provide the needed power to the EV motor. Then you would need your EV motor, controller, drivetrain, cooling, battery, etc to actually power the Jeep. In the end, you have 2x the cost for zero benefit as they gas engine is more efficient powering the wheels directly than it is generating, converting, storing, converting, and powering and electric motor.
You don't need a full-sized ICE. While obviously lighter and smaller, the Volt (1.5L 4) and the BMW i3 (0.65L 2-cylinder from a scooter) use small displacement engines to generate power for the electric motor. The 1.5L in the Volt gives it a total range of 420 miles (8.9 gallon fuel tank) and an MPGE of 106. So... no it's not double the cost for zero benefit. Especially since most of the time you're running on electric power only and using no gas at all.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
For reference, here are the much more powerful Tesla motors in the D series. Anything under the JL would be the size of the Rear Drive unit or smaller most likely.

Model-X-dual-drive.jpg
My buddy has a Tesla and says it’s terrible for trips, repair times are terrible and loss of value is equally as bad. He said he would never recommend one. I drove it and it’s nice but it seems like they put the cart before the horse, infrastructure for support in terms of repairs and charging stations just aren’t there. He got the home charger and said his electricity bill tripled.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly, it didn’t pan out. Moot point..
Might not be worth it if you have really expensive electricity. But my Cousin does pay a lot less per mile with her Tesla than with her F-250.
Sponsored