First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
With your 4.10 gears do you see 8th gear a reasonable amount. I ask because you said barely adequate. Just wondering. If I’m gonna do it I’m probably looking at 4.56
Consider 4.88s , im on 35s with 6 speed. Im at 15.9 after 8000 miles.
Thats with several hours a day offroad and running 24 psi .
Sponsored

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
I am in jersey I used lukoil not sure how that’s rates What would your suggestion for brand be
Lukoil was terrible in my GTI. I like BP, Shell, Sinclair or Costco are what seems to work best for me in my Tacoma.

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Cherokee, 93 Wrangler, 19 Wrangler
With your 4.10 gears do you see 8th gear a reasonable amount. I ask because you said barely adequate. Just wondering. If I’m gonna do it I’m probably looking at 4.56
Only on flat ground, below 60mph, and no headwind. On inclines, with headwind, and over 60mph it prefers 7th gear. I have noticed the tuning on this engine seems to keep the fuel consumption down more than previous rigs at higher RPM. In other words, the 250 rpm more that you will be pulling at highway speeds with 4.88 vs 4.56 probably wont hurt fuel mileage much at all. But getting there will be noticeably easier.

I've had my rig for about 6 months and am not done with it. I'd like at least 37's, if not 38's, and will probably end up with 5.13 gears. With the current 35's, I wish I had 4.56's. The V6 loves to rev.

OP
OP
TheAnimal

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
Don't read too much into the smart-assed comments. I can be smart-assed too but, hey, it's still the Christmas season. Anyway, these guys that you say are giving you crap are also giving you the biggest reason for your dog-shit mpg so don't just totally dismiss them. Your biggest issue is undoubtedly the gears. The other stuff (re-calibrating the speedo for the tire size, playing with shift points, waiting for the Jeep to "learn", etc...) may show some minor improvements but you are very unlikely to see a dramatic difference until the gear change. You are just at a huge disadvantage right now trying to turn a much larger diameter tire with all of the extra weight and rolling resistance with those stock gears. Just enjoy the Jeep until you can get the gears and then worry about the gas mileage of a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick.
I had a jk since 2015. So I already had a “ brick with wheels”. I don’t expect something unreasonable for gas millage. I just guess it was a surprise to me with the 35s. I appreciate your comment. I’m ok for now I just thought something was wrong with it it’s a 18 left over so I started thinking but I do love it. I drive a work van all week I’m
Not really that worried about gas millage but I was concerned ya know. I’m good I really love driving it and I’m about to undercoat her with fluid film to try and avoid the ugly rust the underbody gets. For now I’m happy to have it and with the lift and 35s. I’ll get to the gears but gonna be a little bit to drop 2k Goin to go at the headlights fogs and taillights this week I’m ordering S-V.4 leds for headlights ... morimoto Xbox fogs and have t picked the tail lights yet but I prefer the sport taillights over the rubi sonill just change the bulbs. And merry Christmas to you. I’m gonna be fine lol

OP
OP
TheAnimal

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
Lukoil was terrible in my GTI. I like BP, Shell, Sinclair or Costco are what seems to work best for me in my Tacoma.
Never thought about Costco. By me the lines are huge but I have a shell and I believe a bp. She’ll used to be my go to but they are on the highway and prices are more. I’ll probly go back there and they don’t have a problem with me pumping my own gas.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TheAnimal

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
Only on flat ground, below 60mph, and no headwind. On inclines, with headwind, and over 60mph it prefers 7th gear. I have noticed the tuning on this engine seems to keep the fuel consumption down more than previous rigs at higher RPM. In other words, the 250 rpm more that you will be pulling at highway speeds with 4.88 vs 4.56 probably wont hurt fuel mileage much at all. But getting there will be noticeably easier.

I've had my rig for about 6 months and am not done with it. I'd like at least 37's, if not 38's, and will probably end up with 5.13 gears. With the current 35's, I wish I had 4.56's. The V6 loves to rev.
One thing I can say is I do notice a huge difference in the transmission from my jk and I know it’s different but man it is nice to drive Can’t wait to actually get her out and take a trip anywhere just out of town lol.

364pipeguy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon / 1971 CJ-6
Occupation
retired Steamfitter
Hi all
I get 18 around town and 20 hwy in my 19 JLUR but remember heaver and wider tires mean more rolling resistance so lower MPG, also the 345s are a high gear ratio for 35 tires.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

this 100% comes down to just a couple things. A) 3.45 gears and the 6 speed blows.> ( i have a 6speed sport on rubi wheels and 33" tires. on flat hwy i run about 17 and city is far worse.) B) 35's are much heavier to get moving than the sport 31.5" tires that come stock This is how they get the " better mileage" C) how you are driving effects MPG massively. try keeping 60-65 mph and shifting at 3K rpm. you will get some improvement. if you want to be back up in the 17-20 MPG you will have to re-gear. IMO 4.56 would be great for 35" tires if your offroading alot and it will help you since our sports dont come with a 4 to 1 transfercase. but if you see way more hwy 4.10.s would do you a solid.. I plan on picking up a set of take off Rubicon axles with 4.10 gears and lockers. Its the cheapest way to get wider and a stronger axle set with bigger brakes for about the price of a re-gear with a locker. should bring your MPG back to up to Manufacturing numbers

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
this 100% comes down to just a couple things. A) 3.45 gears and the 6 speed blows.> ( i have a 6speed sport on rubi wheels and 33" tires. on flat hwy i run about 17 and city is far worse.) B) 35's are much heavier to get moving than the sport 31.5" tires that come stock This is how they get the " better mileage" C) how you are driving effects MPG massively. try keeping 60-65 mph and shifting at 3K rpm. you will get some improvement. if you want to be back up in the 17-20 MPG you will have to re-gear. IMO 4.56 would be great for 35" tires if your offroading alot
Spot on. I have a 2020 JLUR with 4.10 gears, manual trans, Toyo MT 35x12.5r17's (re-calibrated with Tazer JL Mini) and live in the rocky mountains. I'm up/down thousands of feet daily (ear popping) and have to get the little 3.6l SINGING between 3.5-5k rpm to engine brake and climb. Some 4.88's (or 5.13's perhaps) are on the menu. If you you're a living at sea level on flat land I'm sure the 4.10's are fine. Why they put what feels like a sports car engine in a jeep I don't know. I get ~15-16 driving in town with this setup.

Coder

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Did the dealer recalibrate the speedometer to account for the 35's if not the mileage may be off?

OP
OP
TheAnimal

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
this 100% comes down to just a couple things. A) 3.45 gears and the 6 speed blows.> ( i have a 6speed sport on rubi wheels and 33" tires. on flat hwy i run about 17 and city is far worse.) B) 35's are much heavier to get moving than the sport 31.5" tires that come stock This is how they get the " better mileage" C) how you are driving effects MPG massively. try keeping 60-65 mph and shifting at 3K rpm. you will get some improvement. if you want to be back up in the 17-20 MPG you will have to re-gear. IMO 4.56 would be great for 35" tires if your offroading alot and it will help you since our sports dont come with a 4 to 1 transfercase. but if you see way more hwy 4.10.s would do you a solid.. I plan on picking up a set of take off Rubicon axles with 4.10 gears and lockers. Its the cheapest way to get wider and a stronger axle set with bigger brakes for about the price of a re-gear with a locker. should bring your MPG back to up to Manufacturing numbers
Eventually I may deal with the axels and I would be fine with rubi take offs. However I have the 8 speed and compared to my jk auto it’s so nice. I’ll see how she goes .... what are people paying for rubi takenoff axels? Any idea

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Seems that 37's and 35's get close to the same gas mileage when they are both heavy MT's on a lifted rubi. I'm running 37's (Nitto Trail Grapplers) on 17" beadlocks so it's a heavy setup (~60 lb increase per corner) and I'm getting 14-16 depending on driving.

Honestly pretty happy overall. I could run a set of 35" KO2s for daily on stock wheels and I'm sure my mileage would go up to the 17-19 range. But that's less fun and more money. Turbo 4 seems just fine power wise -- doesn't really use 8th gear on the highway but I don't drive it really often over 65-70 anyway. So doesn't seem worth the ~$1500-$2k it would cost.

I'll end up trading this in on a diesel at some point so not looking to dump money into this one. Only things that will transfer easily. And outside of running some lighter weight 40's in Moab, it will pretty much never see larger than 37's for more than a week a year. I was concerned about the 37's when I first had them on but once I got them properly road force balanced and switched to EVO plush 3.5" springs, it rides softer than stock but still does fine off road.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Eventually I may deal with the axels and I would be fine with rubi take offs. However I have the 8 speed and compared to my jk auto it’s so nice. I’ll see how she goes .... what are people paying for rubi takenoff axels? Any idea
Between $3k and $4k depending on condition and if they come with brakes, etc. For me I would just trade the vehicle in though (if you can do the labor yourself to swap mods over) as the Rubi vin will hold value better assuming you don't go nuts on options. The Rubicon is $7000 more on the JLU (MSRP anyway) but you get a lot with it. However, one thing is for sure -- JL's are not holding value as well as JK's, already.

- Axles
- Tcase
- Fenders
- Bumpers (though most go after market)
- Hood (if you want it).
- etc

If you swap just the axles and tcase in, after cost of labor and flashing, you will be ahead with the Rubicon. Only thing that complicates it are mods already done and trade value discrepancies. So for instance, I could get my same deal I got before (~13% off MSRP) and with trading my '19 in for a new one with a diesel I'd have to come out of pocket around $4,000. But I had the highest optioned one you could buy, leased it, put no money down, and it's less than a year into the lease (just hit 10k miles).
Sponsored