new owner - keeping black fenders black

shum2007

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma
new wrangler owner - keeping black fenders black... so this may be a dumb ? for some of you guys...

drum roll... how do you keep the black fenders black, or what do you use after wash?
Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
new wrangler owner - keeping black fenders black... so this may be a dumb ? for some of you guys...

drum roll... how do you keep the black fenders black, or what do you use after wash?
I have a feeling there is not too much to really make a huge difference. On my Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, it had the black lip around the fenders, I thought they looked good after 6 months until I replaced 1 of them due to some Battle scars from Moab, then I realized how much they faded. I asked my car regularly and applied a maguires protectant to the black plastic parts. They still faded. It is nothing like the old ones where they would wash out completely, but if you ever replace 1 with new the others will really show that they are older.

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
Heat , use a soldering torch..Apply enough heat to get them back to black but not too much.. works great

Sponsored

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
yes, a heat gun will work.. I suggest watching a couple you tube video on the process.. it works great.. you can remove scratches on the plastic and also remove the oxidation turning them black again...I used the technique on both my JK’s and it works great

Sponsored

Jkohler

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl rubicon 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 ram 3500
IMG_0198.JPG
This has worked out well so far. I put it on my dads 17 jk fenders as well as the rest of the black. It works well so far

nstone97

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JK Sport - 2009 Chevy Avalanche
Occupation
Project Manager / Engineer
+1 on 303 Protectant

nstone97

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JK Sport - 2009 Chevy Avalanche
Occupation
Project Manager / Engineer
yes, a heat gun will work.. I suggest watching a couple you tube video on the process.. it works great.. you can remove scratches on the plastic and also remove the oxidation turning them black again...I used the technique on both my JK’s and it works great
I’ve read a couple of other forum post stating that this is not a good idea. Heating the plastic draws the oils within the material to the surface, temporarily restoring the color but permanently reducing flexibility. The result is a fender that may look good for a while but is more brittle and prone to cracking.

I believe your best bet is to do berry thing you can to prevent the discoloration in the first place, or keep it to a minimum with a UV protectant.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
303 + 3

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
F2A083D9-EBCC-4672-BF67-E66BE4B07501.jpeg
This is what you are looking for and will save you tons of time after you apply it. It’s a coating that last way longer then anything already listed. I will be applying this in the coming weeks once all this rain clears so it has time to cure.
Sponsored