Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
I've read all 5300+ posts in this thread (as well as all the other steering threads), and I do not recall seeing a (subjective) wandering causal report like this before... a guy/gal fighting death wobble had the steering box replaced and stated:

"August 8 2019 drop off at dealership for death wobble this time a steering box which seemed to help the death wobble, but caused it to wander all over the road."

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steering-damper-steering-box-and-track-bars.39059/
Sponsored

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
Dropped mine off @ the dealer on Monday for the second time trying to fix an issue unrelated to all the steering/wandering stuff. For a loaner, they gave me a JKU Rubicon that I drove for two days...first time back in a JK since selling my old one last fall. I realized quickly that I didn't miss hardly anything else about the JK (compared to the JL), but damn the steering/stability of that JK was so solid on the road. My JL hasn't seemed like it is as bad as many in this thread, but the steering/stability of the JK really stood out after driving the JL for a year. Sigh.

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Dont Randomly buy stuff!

Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth and watch for play. If its not moving there you dont need it other than to make it stronger.
I haven't done this ye
Dropped mine off @ the dealer on Monday for the second time trying to fix an issue unrelated to all the steering/wandering stuff. For a loaner, they gave me a JKU Rubicon that I drove for two days...first time back in a JK since selling my old one last fall. I realized quickly that I didn't miss hardly anything else about the JK (compared to the JL), but damn the steering/stability of that JK was so solid on the road. My JL hasn't seemed like it is as bad as many in this thread, but the steering/stability of the JK really stood out after driving the JL for a year. Sigh.
i'm with you here! Sold my 2014 JKUR2 years ago. The steering is the only thing that is better on my JK. I really can't believe how crappy the steering is. I've had it to the dealer 3 times for it already. 1st time, they replaced the steering box (but there were no revisions to that box at the time, so I got the same revision from the 2018s), then the steering stabilizer recall and replacement trackbar (the latest). It's there again as I write this to try to get them to do more and maybe give me the newer steering box but I asked them to actually try diagnosing the problem rather than just putting in the new steering box but I'm not hopeful there. They seem to just want to look at TSBs and such and replace things without any problem solving.

Now here's the part that makes me sad... I have a 2019 JLUS as a loaner and it too has play in the steering (also more than my old JKUR) but it doesn't wander, at least. Either I got another one with faulty steering, which I guess is possible, or this is just going to be how it is.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Anyone here ever come across a company that sells non-rubber (poly?) bushings for the JL steering components? I would think that his would be a minimal investment for the trial and error process to see if things tighten up a bit??

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
Good bye. Sounds like your mind was made up and weren’t that loyal anyways. For far less money you COULD have fixed it. Enjoy your Taco. I am sure when getting passed on the trail you will regret it
Oh you found a solution to getting s&#t on every time you take your brand new $45K plus vehicle to the dealer for a problem that they won't admit that the vehicle has? How much did that cost?

In my opinion a brand new vehicle that has a problem shouldn't cost anything to fix. you should take it in and the warranty should take care of that. Then you say "wow they sure did fix this jeep, I'll be loyal to them since they treat me so well." So I'm really interested in how you fixed that.

It sounds like you're suggesting that expecting Jeep to fix this mess is unreasonable and you think that everyone with a steering issue should just spend a few thousand more dollars guessing what would fix their problem. Then they should install the parts that they guessed and hope that it fixed the issue of Jeep not wanting to repair known issues under warranty.

Sponsored

CherryWrangler

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude
Dropped mine off with the dealer today again, this is my 4th time and i hope they resolve the steering issues. I know you guys have heard this tonnes of times, but the wrangler sport they gave me as a rental drives soooo much better, man i am loving it.

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
I still don't know why someone can't take a JL with NO Steering Issues and one with Noticeable Steering Issues and fully inspect them both and see what the differences are in parts and software....maybe even a few different JLs (with and without issues) to fully "diagnose" what the issue(s) is/are ......I guess unless there are some good and some faulty steering boxes out there and it's more of an internal components issue....at least we'd know that it is definitely the steering box or some specific part (drag link, tie rod, etc)..

I know I'm not the first to think of this.....Someone earlier mentioned it. I think there was a removed Steering Box that was going to be inspected after that person installed a PSC Upgrade.....Did that ever get done ?

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I still don't know why someone can't take a JL with NO Steering Issues and one with Noticeable Steering Issues and fully inspect them both and see what the differences are in parts and software....maybe even a few different JLs (with and without issues) to fully "diagnose" what the issue(s) is/are ......I guess unless there are some good and some faulty steering boxes out there and it's more of an internal components issue....at least we'd know that it is definitely the steering box or some specific part (drag link, tie rod, etc)..

I know I'm not the first to think of this.....Someone earlier mentioned it. I think there was a removed Steering Box that was going to be inspected after that person installed a PSC Upgrade.....Did that ever get done ?
The problem is that none of these dealers will even try anything out of the box. If it doesn't say to do it in a manual or a bulletin or a code, then they just do not spend time on it. People with good steering aren't interested and people with bad steering are screwed. There isn't a place to get a good one and a bad one together at the same time.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I have to imagine FCA engineers would be doing this. My only guess is the fix is too expensive.

Sponsored

powelld353

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
Occupation
General idiot, know nothing
Vehicle Showcase
It's the steering gear box, they get cheap Chinese made parts and they're crap. Typical Fiat quality (or lack there of). The fix is too expensive and they won't do it. When someone dies then there will be some sort of fix.

CherryWrangler

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude
Getting it back after dropping off to the dealer the 4th time. Same story as before. 2020 model year. There are no recalls and everything is upto the spec.

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
So if it comes down to the Steering Gear Box, and some work great, while others are terrible, it ends up being a quality control for some defective parts internally ? So, its basically hit or miss ?....Although I have also read that some of the JLs start out with NO issues at all and after about 5000 miles (I may be incorrect on the mileage) they then start to have issues...

I'd also be interested if someone had a service manager at some dealership that was willing to update the new AE box and if it doesn't fix the issue, try another (different AE Box) and keep trying different ones, until they locate an AE Box with NO issues....IF THAT takes care of ALL steering issues, and nothing else is changed, there is the proof .....THEN maybe the internal parts could be examined and corrected/updated so that the newest ones have NO faulty parts internally.

It does seem that there are or at least were some issues with the initial quality of the track bars/bushings.... I think all current assembly line JLs have THOSE parts upgraded which helps isolate the issue.....

With 2 JLs that are fresh off the assembly line, SAME vehicle (model/options, etc) with ALL the current TSBs and newest model (upgraded) parts from the recalls, If one has NO steering issues and the other is terrible, I'd love to see JUST the Steering Gear Boxes SWAPPED and then drive them again......

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So if it comes down to the Steering Gear Box, and some work great, while others are terrible, it ends up being a quality control for some defective parts internally ? So, its basically hit or miss ?....Although I have also read that some of the JLs start out with NO issues at all and after about 5000 miles (I may be incorrect on the mileage) they then start to have issues...

I'd also be interested if someone had a service manager at some dealership that was willing to update the new AE box and if it doesn't fix the issue, try another (different AE Box) and keep trying different ones, until they locate an AE Box with NO issues....IF THAT takes care of ALL steering issues, and nothing else is changed, there is the proof .....THEN maybe the internal parts could be examined and corrected/updated so that the newest ones have NO faulty parts internally.

It does seem that there are or at least were some issues with the initial quality of the track bars/bushings.... I think all current assembly line JLs have THOSE parts upgraded which helps isolate the issue.....

With 2 JLs that are fresh off the assembly line, SAME vehicle (model/options, etc) with ALL the current TSBs and newest model (upgraded) parts from the recalls, If one has NO steering issues and the other is terrible, I'd love to see JUST the Steering Gear Boxes SWAPPED and then drive them again......
Yes, but again these dealers have zero interest in troubleshooting a problem that FCA is telling them to deny. There are a ton of troubleshooting techniques but if FCA tells the dealer to deny the problem then they know they won't get paid for doing any work or troubleshooting.

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
You may very well be (unfortunately) correct....

I can't see FCA allowing this to continue.....I don't mean to sound naive....It seems that they are well aware of the issue and it continues to persist.....HOWEVER, I would think that at some point they will get to a point where (AT LEAST) the newest models have been upgraded and NONE of the new assembly line models have any issues with the steering when they roll off the line and even many miles down the road....

I still have faith !
Sponsored