First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aviation
I have been out of town for a few weeks and when I got back I jumped in my Jeep again. First thing I noticed was a sound that wasn't there before. It sounds like something is loose in the compartment in the rear and is moving around when I corner or stop and go. I checked but there's nothing there and I couldn't find anything that I missed that was loose in the vehicle. It sounds like plastic creaking or hitting plastic, (tka tka tka).

Last night my husband climbed in the back while I drove around to try and pin down the sound. He found that pushing on the rear window stopped the sound. So it seems the rear window is not sitting fast against the seal, or the seal is weak or loose so the movement of the car causes it to compress and release creating a sound...

Before I go ask a Jeep tech to hop in the back baggage area and go for a ride >:) , has anyone had anything like this before?
Sponsored

rockitfuel

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2 door, 2010 Smart Passion, 1979 Jeep CJ-7
I get dull thump sound I think you are talking about. Comes and goes on bumpy trails and bothers me. having the seals clean seems to help a bit

Gbart

First Name
Gord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Van
There is another thread somewhere about this. Put a liberal amount of liquid dish soap on all the rubber seals around the back window and see if that helps. I tried it and it helped mine. It lasts quite a while before the noises return.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I've been tracking down a similar noise too for months - I found it to be coming from the metal latch for the tailgate. I was able to replicate the noise by pulling down on/shaking the spare tire while the tailgate is closed. Applied some marine grease (what I had laying around) to all the seals around the windows and tailgate, and on the metal latch piece itself and it seems to have gone away for now.

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
I too hear a rattle, but my experience is that it is temperature related. On cold days it will rattle, on not cold days there is no noise. I attribute it to the mix of metal and fiberglass expanding/contracting at different temps. The noise may be the rear window and temp related. The window, to my observation, does not have any hard surface contact points. All seem to have a rubber layer between surfaces.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ASMSAS

ASMSAS

First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aviation
Thanks guys, I'll try lubing the rubber seal around the window and if that doesn't do it I'll look at the latch.

OP
OP
ASMSAS

ASMSAS

First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aviation
. Put a liberal amount of liquid dish soap on all the rubber seals around the back window and see if that helps. I tried it and it helped mine. It lasts quite a while before the noises return.
Do you mean to just wipe dish soap all along the seal and let it dry or rinse it off first?

Gbart

First Name
Gord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Van
Do you mean to just wipe dish soap all along the seal and let it dry or rinse it off first?
No rinsing. Just wipe it on so that the rubber looks nice and shiny and close everything up. It dries on its own but when you feel the rubber seals afterwards they almost have a silky feel to them. The result was immediate on mine.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have been out of town for a few weeks and when I got back I jumped in my Jeep again. First thing I noticed was a sound that wasn't there before. It sounds like something is loose in the compartment in the rear and is moving around when I corner or stop and go. I checked but there's nothing there and I couldn't find anything that I missed that was loose in the vehicle. It sounds like plastic creaking or hitting plastic, (tka tka tka).

Last night my husband climbed in the back while I drove around to try and pin down the sound. He found that pushing on the rear window stopped the sound. So it seems the rear window is not sitting fast against the seal, or the seal is weak or loose so the movement of the car causes it to compress and release creating a sound...

Before I go ask a Jeep tech to hop in the back baggage area and go for a ride >:) , has anyone had anything like this before?
I too hear a rattle, but my experience is that it is temperature related. On cold days it will rattle, on not cold days there is no noise. I attribute it to the mix of metal and fiberglass expanding/contracting at different temps. The noise may be the rear window and temp related. The window, to my observation, does not have any hard surface contact points. All seem to have a rubber layer between surfaces.
We certainly understand why this may be frustrating. Should you be unable to remedy this yourselves and decide to have our dealers take a look, please do not hesitate to reach out to us via PM for additional assistance.
Alex
JeepCares

jkmorrell

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Sahara

Yes! A LOT of us are having this chirping sound.
I found this thread yesterday, and there's a couple quick fixes in there!
Dig in:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/power-sky-removable-windows-squeaking-noises.25487/

Sponsored

OP
OP
ASMSAS

ASMSAS

First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aviation
I did not sue soap but I used a degreaser cleaner and wiped the whole rear door and rear window seals and I have not heard anthing the last 300 miles. If it comes back Iā€™ll try Sil-Glyde next.

So it was definitely the seal making noise.

Bones69

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I did not sue soap but I used a degreaser cleaner and wiped the whole rear door and rear window seals and I have not heard anthing the last 300 miles. If it comes back Iā€™ll try Sil-Glyde next.

So it was definitely the seal making noise.
Asmas, my seal is driving me nuts as well. Used dishwasher soap, but did not last. Before I pick up sil-glyde, did the degreaser do the trick? If so, which degreaser did you utilize? Appreciate the help.

Tiger1

First Name
Tiger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, 2016 BMW 435
Asmas, my seal is driving me nuts as well. Used dishwasher soap, but did not last. Before I pick up sil-glyde, did the degreaser do the trick? If so, which degreaser did you utilize? Appreciate the help.
I experienced the same thing. Climbed in back & had my wife drive & it was definitely the seal between the hardtop glass & gate. Sil-glyde eliminated the noise & has been quiet for about 4 weeks now.

https://www.amazon.com/AGS-SG8-Lubricant/dp/B000KXLR5E/ref=sr_1_2?crid=JSWFDO1256XZ&keywords=sil-glyde+lubricant&qid=1583337912&s=automotive&sprefix=sil-glyde,automotive,159&sr=1-2
Sponsored

Last edited: