Please Explain... Mopar Swing Gate Reinforcement

Andras

First Name
Andras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover LR4, Jeep Wrangler JL
It is a Mopar Swing Gate Reinforcement. No where does it say that it is a Swing Gate Hinge Reinforcement. This item was designed to reinforce the crappy metal that is used to skin the swing gate that an oversize tire may damage due to movement while under power, off-roading, and just plain old opening and closing of the swing gate.

Now is it worth it? I think so for that very reason. I don't want to have to worry about hanging a 37" tire with aftermarket rims on my tailgate and then having a warranty claim for damaged door skin be denied due to not upgrading to the kit and excessive weight on the gate. The only issue I have with the kit is that you have to buy the Oversize Spare Tire Carrier Modification Kit also. It should come as one seeing as how it it is required for both to be able to use one or the other. Just BS if you ask me.

https://moparonlineparts.com/jeep-wrangler-swing-gate-hinge-reinforcement-p-8357.html
Funny, on jeep's website in the build options it's called "Hinge-Gate Reinforcement by Mopar" ...
Sponsored

Amric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 TJ Rubicon, 2018 JL Rubicon
Had mine on for a year now and no sign of any sag or movement of any kind.

37*12.5*17 with 4.5ā€ backspacing.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Now, it would be great if someone can explain why this darn thing is so expensive!!! It's a piece of aluminum! $600+ seems excessive. Add another $200+ for the Mopar riser.......WOW.
'Tis but a Jeep thing, my friend. You should see some of the overpriced interior accessories.

Sponsored

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
How? I think I need a diagram :) How does adding weight to the brackets, makes anything stronger? The stress on the hinges are the same. The stress on the tire holder is the same. The forces on the brackets are vertical and to some degree horizontal due to the tire weight pulling on the tailgate. The reinforcement doesn't reinforces the connection between the spare tire studs and the tailgate, nor does it take any forces away from the hinges... so how does it make anything stronger? Still curious... :)
Well I know Jeep use CAE quite extensively and this discussion wont have a logical end unless Jeep is willing to share their CAE models and the safety factors in their analysis..

Suffice to say dynamic loads are distributed through the entire structure with 3 points of concentration at the hinge and latch.. I purchased it knowing and trusting a 4:1 failure factor which most commercial companies use (structure class 101) and as somebody already said it takes the warranty concern off the table.

But I know my loads are higher than most cause my 37" Method bead locks and Maxxis weigh 110lbs and I like to bounce off rocks in the Sierras.. I added a touch point with my hitch, so when close my tail gate the tire lifts up on to the hitch about 1/8".. just a little more insurance to get the weight off the hinges and latch.. So far so good 22k miles, lots of hard core trails under our belt, not issues to date.. And I really like the antenna mount and I did not have to due a lot research for other after market stuff... it just works and it was simple to install with a little lock tight for safety..

hope that helps..

TC

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting Ridge Grapers 285/75/17 with 27lb wheels. Any need for reinforcement at all with this? I figure 92lbs for the combo, 4.5 back spacing on wheel.

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
We are going to have the TeraFlex adjustable tire carrier mount that was debuted at SEMA available at some point next month. (February 2019). It will bolt up to the Mopar tail gate reinforcement. It is fully adjustable, comes with quick release third brake light mount and a 6042 aluminum extended HD backup camera mount so that those big spare tires wont block your view.
I have the HD alpha tire carrier, Iā€™m just waiting on the hinge/tailgate reinforcement piece to come out (I had both on my JK) - will the Teraflex piece be different to the Mopar though? I recall the JK versions being identical.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
I'm getting Ridge Grapers 285/75/17 with 27lb wheels. Any need for reinforcement at all with this? I figure 92lbs for the combo, 4.5 back spacing on wheel.
It really depends on your wheelin habits.. if you like speed and intend bounce off things or tend to bottom out now and then, I would suggest the upgrade to be safe.. there are folks on this forum that have seen ripples in the skin of the tail gate due to stresses.. Jeep would not have made the reinforcement kit if it was not needed.

my 2 cents..

TC

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
This option is no longer showing up on Jeeps build and price site...

Sorry, it is no longer showing up on the 2-door site (except for Recon which has it standard) but is on the 4-door site...Those of us with the 2-door JL's (the Jeep that started it all) sure don't the same love...

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I ordered my JLUR with the Mopar reinforcement. I understand what it is and what it is supposed to do. I have not bought the Mopar spare tire mount as Iā€™m waiting to see what the offering from Teraflex will be. My reasoning is the Mopar mount doesnā€™t seem to be adjustable. The Teraflex seems promising, but thereā€™s very little info on it except for a video from SEMA. Paired together these may prove to be a viable option as I donā€™t want a bumper mounted carrier due to limited space in the garage. Seriously, I only have about 6 inches to play with so this affects my front bumper and spare tire carrier choices.
Is your garage as tight as it looks?

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Is your garage as tight as it looks?
Sure is LOL. Iā€™ve since removed the Mopar reinforcement and installed the Ace stand alone spare tire carrier and itā€™s even tighter now. I actually ease forward until I bump the front wall. That way I know the overhead door will close. Frustrates the hell out of me. The previous owners of the house used some garage space to extend a bedroom. I keep saying Iā€™m going to claim that space back for garage, but the wife has veto power.

Jsmeltz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I'm waiting on a Sahara which I had built. My first Jeep. I ordered the hinge gate reinforcement not really knowing what it was. When I clicked on "More Information", it just brought up a picture of the rear of the vehicle with no other information. In my mind, since the tailgate would be opened and closed about a hundred times per year, it was something that would "Beef Up" the hinges and make the gate stronger. Well now I can see that I was wrong. For $675, I tried to pull it off the order, but the unit was well in D1 at gateline and the FCA rep wouldn't or couldn't do it. Oh well! You live and learn! Hopefully it does stiffen up the gate sheet metal. I got the Bright White and I think it looks cooler then the plain gate, but that's about it for the price I paid. Anyway, can't wait until I get this Jeep....

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'm waiting on a Sahara which I had built. My first Jeep. I ordered the hinge gate reinforcement not really knowing what it was. When I clicked on "More Information", it just brought up a picture of the rear of the vehicle with no other information. In my mind, since the tailgate would be opened and closed about a hundred times per year, it was something that would "Beef Up" the hinges and make the gate stronger. Well now I can see that I was wrong. For $675, I tried to pull it off the order, but the unit was well in D1 at gateline and the FCA rep wouldn't or couldn't do it. Oh well! You live and learn! Hopefully it does stiffen up the gate sheet metal. I got the Bright White and I think it looks cooler then the plain gate, but that's about it for the price I paid. Anyway, can't wait until I get this Jeep....
Youā€™ll be happy with it. The hinges NEVER break. If anything itā€™s the tailgate rivets. Look at the Teraflex tire relocation bracket to compliment it. It is very trick.
Sponsored