Can’t seat the synthetic rope in my WARN winch

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
I’m hoping that somebody here can give me some advice. I’m installing my WARN 10-S winch and I’m trying to get the synthetic rope on to the spool. I followed the instructions and watchEd the videos online but I can’t get the puck to sit inside the diameter of the spool no matter how hard I try.

What you see below is what I’m able to achieve. Any advice is much appreciated. I’m hoping that somebody here can give me some advice.
8FA062F8-246D-42BA-84CF-C9156C5836A7.jpeg
Sponsored

hrhnick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I know it its not super helpful, but other than getting the nuts back on the bumper, getting the syn rope started was the hardest part of the winch install for me. I just remember having to ask my dad for help, a mallet, and a LOT of pulling with all my might, which was quite the workout and I hit the gym daily!!!

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
I'm actually in the same boat on a warn I installed in my Ram a month ago and haven't had time to screw with. Pretty sure that the only solution is tension. Spool it out, hook it up with an anchor and try to give it a little tug with reverse. Need to tension the rope anyway.

That's my plan anyway, happy to hear of other solutions

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Spool it out so you can pull it straight by hand instead of having to pull around the spool. After you’ve done the best you can, I used a small block of wood against the rope/wedge and tapped it a couple times with a hammer. It didn’t take much.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Mine was the same way. Just keep working at it with a few different angles. It will finally slide in. It’s a pain.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ChimpanZed

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Thanks for the advice, all. It really is a pain in the ass. The more I researched, the more it seems that almost everyone has had a tough time with it.

I found that the puck was catching on the flashing in the drum so I took the eges off of it. I was able to seat it better, and then use a screwdriver and a hammer to drive it in, but there was still some rope outside the drum diameter. I then let out all of the line, hooking to my father-in-law's vehicle, then backed up in 4 low until the line went tight and stretched a bit. I did that a few more times until the point of diminishing returns. I pulled enough to get my father-in-law's BMW 5 series to start to skid. How the hell anyone is supposed to pull that that tight by hand is laughable.

noreserve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1999 TJ Sport
I feel your pain. I have the Zeon 10-S as well. I installed the synthetic rope/puck while the winch was just out of the box, so nothing in the way. I read the instructions and used the flimsy zip tie they include. I used paracord, screwdrivers, mallets - you name it. It was major pain the ass. Warn really should revisit this part of the installation. I am guessing that they simply need to increase the slot diameter a bit because it isn't an isolated installation problem. I see them gloss over that part of the installation and that doesn't help. Speaking of Warn and clearance issues, have you installed their winch plate for the metal Rubicon bumper on the JL? :) The rope/puck and their winch plate were a couple of the more frustrating installations I've done in the last year or two that simply didn't have to be that way. A bit more clearance and attention to detail would have prevented problems.

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
I’m hoping that somebody here can give me some advice. I’m installing my WARN 10-S winch and I’m trying to get the synthetic rope on to the spool. I followed the instructions and watchEd the videos online but I can’t get the puck to sit inside the diameter of the spool no matter how hard I try.

What you see below is what I’m able to achieve. Any advice is much appreciated. I’m hoping that somebody here can give me some advice.
i can’t even get the rope through, any tips? Tried the wire they sent and it snapped

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I lubed the channel with dawn dish soap and also rubbed the detergent on the last 10 inches of line. As I was pulling through I misted it’s with water and just kept pulling. I did have to brace both feet on the front of the winch rope and I had the line wrapped around my waist.

jbozz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

[/QUOT

Sponsored

2stoned

First Name
Sten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sj413, sx4
Easy solution:
Make the rope thinner.
Tapercut one of the strands out, pull it out a few weaves and tug it back in.
Just far enough back to enable you to wriggle it into place.
You really do not need the full strength of the rope at the anchor point anyway.

Last edited:

hawgwld

First Name
Hawgwld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I know it its not super helpful, but other than getting the nuts back on the bumper, getting the syn rope started was the hardest part of the winch install for me. I just remember having to ask my dad for help, a mallet, and a LOT of pulling with all my might, which was quite the workout and I hit the gym daily!!!
I have one nut I can’t get back in on 8 bumper nuts. How’d you do it?

OP
OP
ChimpanZed

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
I have one nut I can’t get back in on 8 bumper nuts. How’d you do it?
I recall that the most difficult was the inner, lower, driver-side nut. As I recall I used a shallow, thin-walled 3/8 drive socket with the right length of multiple extensions and swivels to make it work. It was a bitch. I had to use an old-time style torque wrench (with the needle on the gauge) to confirm torques it to spec.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Did mine a year ago, and can confirm it was a royal pain in the ass. Yes, I also wrapped the winch line around my waist to pull on it, and ended up using a screw driver and hammer on the puck to finish seating it. No wonder the winch doesn't come with the line preinstalled from the factory.

Macgyver

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
This part of the install not only wears you out physically it is downright mentally defeating —something seemingly so simple makes you feel like an idiot as you rewatch the video for the 10th time. As far as swearing at something this tops them all! I have never been so frustrated at something in my entire life.
Sponsored