First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Retired Fire Chief
Appreciate the feedback. I planned on getting it back to about where it was before the tires. I know a lot of people say not much difference, but I have to give it a lot more throttle just to get going in 1st, before I could just ease out the clutch and go, or take off in 2nd. 4th and 5th have lost significant power, and yes I can stretch it out to higher RPM's, but tired of feeling like I'm pulling a load. And 6th is useless unless 75+.

I live right by the interstate and on it regularly. Re-gearing will restore some combined mileage, and get some power back. It's worth the build to feel some restored power and even some mileage. I'm averaging 17.3 since 33". I cant enjoy it if it drives weak. I love the 2.5" Teraflex lift I installed is everything they claim. A little stiffer as expected, but rides great. It threw a ESC code right after I installed it, but turned the collar on the drag link 1/2 a turn and re-centered the steering wheel, and the warning cleared immediately. I've never lifted anything and not needed an alignment afterwards until now. Their kit really corrects a lot of the geometry.
When I first got my JLU, I didn't like the way the steering felt squirrely. Found myself constantly adjusting with the steering wheel. After I installed the teraflex Stage 2, it's drives perfect. May be in part the tires are wider, but it steers 100% better.

As said in beginning post, I'm keeping 33" now so I can keep the Jeep in my garage. If I changed my mind and did 35", I'd just go with daily diver gear set for those now and when these wore out swap to the 35". But as of now, feeling I'm just going to roll the 33"s
Sponsored

Last edited:

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Appreciate the feedback. I planned on getting it back to about where it was before the tires. I know a lot of people say not much difference, but I have to give it a lot more throttle just to get going in 1st, before I could just ease out the clutch and go, or take off in 2nd. 4th and 5th have lost significant power, and yes I can stretch it out to higher RPM's, but tired of feeling like I'm pulling a load. And 6th is useless unless 75+.

I live right by the interstate and on it regularly. Re-gearing will restore some combined mileage, and get some power back. It's worth the build to feel some restored power and even some mileage. I'm averaging 17.3 since 33". I cant enjoy it if it drives weak. I love the 2.5" Teraflex lift I installed is everything they claim. A little stiffer as expected, but rides great. It threw a ESC code right after I installed it, but turned the collar on the drag link 1/2 a turn and re-centered the steering wheel, and the warning cleared immediately. I've never lifted anything and not needed an alignment afterwards until now. Their kit really corrects a lot of the geometry.
When I first got my JLU, I didn't like the way the steering felt squirrely. Found myself constantly adjusting with the steering wheel. After I installed the teraflex Stage 2, it's drives perfect. May be in part the tires are wider, but it steers 100% better.

As said in beginning post, I'm keeping 33" now so I can keep the Jeep in my garage. If I changed my mind and did 35", I'd just go with daily diver gear set for those now and when these wore out swap to the 35". But as of now, feeling I'm just going to roll the 33"s
This may be helpful...on my 6 speed JL daily driver, I had stock 3.45 gears with stock 31s for 6 months, rubi takeoff 33s for 3 months and 35s for 5 days. I found the 33s to be liveable for daily driving, but not the 35s. I swapped in jl rubi axles with 4.10 gearing and ran 35s for 9 months and switched to 37s 2 weeks ago. The 4.10 gearing powered the 35s fine in my opinion...had useable power in 6th at 70mph. With the 37s on beadlocks, the 4.10 gearing is weak as 6th gear is useless and 5th has a little pull at 70mph. It would definitely benefit from 4.88 gears.

For your situation running 33's, if you're set on regearing, I would recommend 4.10 gears bc they also work with 35s and are efficient on the hwy.

Boutch76

First Name
Yannick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL 2D Manual
I went 4.56 with 35's on 18 inch KMD Addict, extra weight with after market bumper, a winch and 70 pounds rock sliders for both. It feels and drive better now than it did stock. I also added ARB air lockers at the back. I drive a manual.

Last edited:
OP
OP
floridawolfman

floridawolfman

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Fire Chief
"For your situation running 33's, if you're set on regearing, I would recommend 4.10 gears bc they also work with 35s and are efficient on the hwy".

I agree. That was my conclusion also. I thought there would be a JL specific gear chart by now, but couldn't find any.

The 4.1 may put me slightly on the performance side of daily driver with 33", but I also have a 120lb HammerHead "Ravager" full width front bumper (120lbs) and a 1200 winch (80lbs), so 4.1 should be good. I'm sure if I swap to 35" later the 4.1 would be usable, but on the sluggish side again.

I got the Ravager bumper 50% off during an open box sale at Extreme Terrain. They used it for a photo shoot. Not one mark on it and the hardware was still in sealed bag. The winch sits low and doesn't obstruct air flow to radiator.

I really appreciate the comments.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Let us know what you do and how it works out! Every now and then I get to thinking about 4.56's and then I drive the Jeep and think, nah. BUT, when I put it in reverse to back up the driveway, I start thinking about it again. Lol!

Sponsored

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
Let us know what you do and how it works out! Every now and then I get to thinking about 4.56's and then I drive the Jeep and think, nah. BUT, when I put it in reverse to back up the driveway, I start thinking about it again. Lol!
Isn't this reverse in manual a joke ! Its fine for the mall crawlers, and the always in 4 low crowd. Its the worse thing ever for a woods rider who doesn't need to be in low range.

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
Isn't this reverse in manual a joke ! Its fine for the mall crawlers, and the always in 4 low crowd. Its the worse thing ever for a woods rider who doesn't need to be in low range.
I have to stay very focused on when to rev my engine as I back into my garage. There's just the tiniest lip where the floor meets the driveway. If I hit it without giving it gas I stall.

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
I have a Rubicon with the 6-speed, I put on 315/70/17 K02's after about a month of owning the Jeep. After taking a few trips I do not like the 4:10s and will at some point regear. Gears 1-5 are not a problem. 1st gear is low enough that you barely need any throttle to get going. It is pretty flat on Long Island so I don't notice it around town. But when driving a Jeep with the aerodynamics of a cynderblock 6th gear is pretty much useless. I can't imagine how this would feel with 3:45s. Even when I am able to use 6th gear, I get better fuel economy in 5th gear unless it's dead flat. Doing the math for getting back to a stock final drive ratio I fall in below a 4:56. (New size divided by Old size times current gear ratio,) So adding in for rotational mass I will probably go 4:88s. That is where I probably should be in case I ever decide to go 37s. Then I would probably want 5:13s and than 40's and then...

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
It is horrible, especially with my boat/trailer, which is light. Even unladen it is bad. I have no clue why they went so tall with it, as it has zero to do with CAFE.

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
It is horrible, especially with my boat/trailer, which is light. Even unladen it is bad. I have no clue why they went so tall with it, as it has zero to do with CAFE.
I want a 8 speed manual with a true granny low, granny low reverse, a taller overdrive, and a engine with some low end torque and factory 4.88s. And alot less electronic garbage like hood closed sensors.

Wishful thinking, i know. I do love this jeep but it could be so much more.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have the same setup as you have now.

I personally would not invest in re-gearing. I just shift higher in the RPM range and I feel like I have good power. 6th gear is mostly ornamental at this point, though.
This.

You can get the same applied torque to the wheels by simply using a lower gear. Yes, you lose a gear (6th), but that same ratio is found in 5th. No benefit to regearing other than a bit more torque applied in first gear

OP
OP
floridawolfman

floridawolfman

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Fire Chief
"You can get the same applied torque to the wheels by simply using a lower gear. Yes, you lose a gear (6th), but that same ratio is found in 5th. No benefit to regearing other than a bit more torque applied in first gear"

Champion 4x4
If you do a lot of highway driving on small to mid sized tires, it may be practical to regear to a taller setup to increase your top speed and fuel economy. If you are planning on doing a lot of off-roading or are only upgrading to a larger set of tires, you should probably install shorter gears.

When larger tires are installed, you have several things working against you: the diameter of the tire, rotational mass, rolling resistance, and the added weight of the tires. The diameter of your tires directly affects how hard your drivetrain has to work in order to move the vehicle, what you need to keep in mind is the axle is going to be turning your wheels. The axle shafts are just over an inch in diameter, and they have to turn whatever tires are on your Wrangler. This means that with a 30 inch tire you need to apply 30 times more force to the axle in order to turn the wheel. By regearing to a shorter gear, you will increase the amount of force that is being sent to the axle, this allows your Jeep to move the tires with less of a strain on the engine.

I'm re-gearing to get my jeep back close to it's original performance, reduce strain on the engine, trans, and axles, and get some mileage back. It drives like a slug. I'm doing mostly hwy miles and some city, low off-road. I need my overdrive restored and less work on the engine to improve mileage even if slightly. This is my last Jeep until I die, and don't want to drive it in its present state. I had planned on re-gearing when I did lift and tires so just need to get it done and enjoy driving it again.

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
My stock JLUR 6-Speed has 285 (33") tires and came from the factory with 4.10 gearing - it works fine for me. 6th Gear is only good on the flat freeway though purely for MPG numbers.

OP
OP
floridawolfman

floridawolfman

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Fire Chief
My stock JLUR 6-Speed has 285 (33") tires and came from the factory with 4.10 gearing - it works fine for me. 6th Gear is only good on the flat freeway though purely for MPG numbers.
Unfortunately my JLU had 275 and 3.45 overall gearing. Putting 285's on feels more like 150hp than a Pentastar 3.6
Florida is flat, and I live right by the interstate.

Rockywoolf

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon
5.13 installed on my JLUR rolling 37s on my manual 3.6. Perfect gearing. Just need to adjust cpu. Only way to go. I also replaced front axle shafts eliminating s
Sponsored