Sponsored

JLUR DRL and Rear defrost Inop

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I just checked my rear window defroster, not working not lighting up at all. I thought maybe outside temp could be the factor. It was currently 34° when I tried it. The light did not come on. I will keep researching before I take it to dealer. I want to know the answer before I go there, so my JLUR isn't a guinny pig and they are tearing shit up that they don't have to. I looked quickly in the hard manual (while at a stop light) rear window defrost) is not in there... They talk about the front defroster, and it says "if the front defroster is inoperable contact dealer" that sounds odd.... But anyway, I'll keep digging around for info about the rear defroster......probably an eazy fix, no panic yet. Of course it's going to snow here tonight
Page 71 & 76.

Have you checked to see if the wire is plugged into the rear window?

Wonder if you can check voltage with a voltmeter at the rear connector.

How would you test the side view mirrors?

Could be as simple as a fuse or relay problem.

Also wondering if Jeep has to program it at the factory for the hardtop option and they forgot.
Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Not sure, my guess is the fix will solve both issues mirrors and defrost. The connection on the window seems a little wonky, so I'm at dealer now, I told him to see what he can find out through his channels and or ask the service department and I'll keep monitoring the forum. It's probably something easy. I just don't want the service department tearing my rig up.....

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
After reading this post, I checked to see if my rear window defroster was working. It was not. When I popped the back window open, I found the wire has become detached from the window. It appeared to be soldered connection that has failed. The light on the switch was working and the connection had power, but the solder joint had failed.

IMG_3969.jpg

Last edited:

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I'm with service manager now......ill update.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police Officer
Ok, they put it on the computer real quick to check the codes, it did throw what looks like an electronic related code. I noticed, with the service serial manager watching, that each of those contacts that are attached to the rear window did move a bit, they would rotate up and down. If that is a solder piece (as the last post shows) should they move at all? Unless that black boot is supposed to pull off showing the connection itself? Not sure. But I'll have to get a meter on that and see if it's getting juice, if not my guess is it's the actual soldering connection itself or its a connection issue on the dash side.. I'll post that code later, out of bricked right now that's where the paper is. I've not had time to rule out fuse or relay yet....

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
After reading this post, I checked to see if my rear window defroster was working. It was not. When I popped the back window open, I found the wire has become detached from the window. It appeared to be soldered connection that has failed. The light on the switch was working and the connection had power, but the solder joint had failed.

IMG_3969.jpg
Yikes! thanks for sharing. Hopefully the weather cooperates before it gets fixed.

Jeep needs some help in the QC department.

qual·i·ty con·trol
ˈkwälədē kənˈtrōl/
noun
noun: quality control
  1. a system of maintaining standards in manufactured products by testing a sample of the output against the specification.

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Jeep needs some help in the QC department.
That's an understatement!

Loose wiring connections, bad solder joints, noisy/leaking hard tops, etc. can all be attributed to bad workmanship.

I'm praying my JLUR enters the line on a Monday morning.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55

IMG_3969.jpg
That's an easy fix for the dealership service department. They have a little kit that they use. Tech will have it fixed in less then 10 min.. Had same thing happen to one my JK's.

Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police Officer
We need to keep this thread alive. I haven't had the opportunity to check if it's hot back there at the rear window yet. My meter sucks! Anyone get anywhere on this yet?

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I’m taking mine to the dealer on Saturday to have it soldered. Your issue appears to be different. Mine connection will actual spark when I connect the two soldered ends together. Thus I’m certain I have power. I’ll ask my dealer if they are aware of similar issues to yours on Saturday. Farrish in Fairfax runs a bunch of Jeeps through their shop.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
snipe:
I’m taking mine to the dealer on Saturday to have it soldered.
They don't solder it, they actually glue it....

Jeep dealership will repair the terminal that has come loose using the Mopar® Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit. Part number: 04549275AB.

The kit contains conductive epoxy- "air curable silver coating" which they will use to fasten that terminal back to the window.

This kit can be used to quickly and easily repair rear glass heating grid lines, bus bars, terminals and pigtail wires.

Last edited:
OP
OP
claytonM80

claytonM80

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Heavy Truck Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, they put it on the computer real quick to check the codes, it did throw what looks like an electronic related code. I noticed, with the service serial manager watching, that each of those contacts that are attached to the rear window did move a bit, they would rotate up and down. If that is a solder piece (as the last post shows) should they move at all? Unless that black boot is supposed to pull off showing the connection itself? Not sure. But I'll have to get a meter on that and see if it's getting juice, if not my guess is it's the actual soldering connection itself or its a connection issue on the dash side.. I'll post that code later, out of bricked right now that's where the paper is. I've not had time to rule out fuse or relay yet....
So did they ultimately “do” anything? And did it work? I’d love to be able to point my dealer in the right direction.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police Officer
No, I wasn't leaving it there (just stopped by on my way to work) and he said they could test the line to see if it's getting power at the defroster. I'll borrow a restricted and do that. I like you want to know the problem before I take it to them....
Sponsored