Sponsored

Anyone Running the JL/JT Dana Ultimate 44?

Remmy

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon, 2017 F250 6.7, 2018 Expedition
Trying to find some feedback on what this axle is capable of. My buddy and I have been beating on the Stock Rubicon M210 with 37/38s and so far they've been holding up. I'm contemplating this upgrade and running the KM3 39X13.5s for this next summer.

I realize the benefits of going straight to 60s but I'm just not willing/able to drop that kind of money right now, I also like the appeal of saving so much weight staying with the Dana 44s.

I'm thinking 4.88 gears are enough (with the 8-Speed) considering durability of the ring gear...

Any info or feedback is appreciated.
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Trying to find some feedback on what this axle is capable of. My buddy and I have been beating on the Stock Rubicon M210 with 37/38s and so far they've been holding up. I'm contemplating this upgrade and running the KM3 39X13.5s for this next summer.

I realize the benefits of going straight to 60s but I'm just not willing/able to drop that kind of money right now, I also like the appeal of saving so much weight staying with the Dana 44s.

I'm thinking 4.88 gears are enough (with the 8-Speed) considering durability of the ring gear...

Not directly related but I have a buddy who's in the middle of the 1 ton swap from F250/F350's. Artec makes all the mount parts needed. He claims he will be into it for under $7,000 when done which includes complete rebuild of the 1 tons with upgraded axles and lockers. That is significantly cheaper over the 60 route.

Maybe a good winter project!

PS: I spent a couple years in Whitehorse Yukon and always a favorite going to Skagway and Haines Alaska. Beautiful area.

OP
OP
Remmy

Remmy

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon, 2017 F250 6.7, 2018 Expedition
I have contemplated the Superduty Axle route. If I can land some 05+ axles....

Alaska is a little brutal at the moment but I do like it here.

Thanks

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White

I have gone over and over this for a while. I have the $ for a one tons from dynatrac but I kept coming back to weight. I love the zippy motor on this thing and dont want to hamper that fun with mega weight.

I poured over quite a few forums with guys wheeling the snot out of 44's, many with stock shafts. Some broke them but when they went with hardened shafts that stopped until they went up to 40s. These guys claimed they wheeled them HARD too. Others that went 40s had no problems either but admitted they werent going nuts out there bagging on chit.

So given that I went with RCV's and Yukons shafts on stock 44s. I trussed the front axle, and when one is available I will do the rear as well. I wouldnt call myself a hard core wheeler, but I will be doing the Arizona trails, Rubicon, Moab, Hurricane, areas as well as heading up to Alaska.

I dont relentlessly wheel obstacles just to make it so likely my chances of breaking stuff will be hopefully non-existent on 37s.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I have the UD44 for the JL. I only run 37’s but it’s held up fine. The 1410 u joints are massive and everything is a lot bigger. The brackets, C’s etc.

I follow someone on Instagram names sage8JL who has the UD 44 and he runs 40’s. So far no issues.

I didn’t go prorock 44 because of the fact the axle shafts are totally custom. JK ring and pinion with JK inner shafts and JL outers. Good luck sourcing replacement shafts in a pinch. With the UD you’d be able to put in a stock JL Rubicon shaft. Which eventually you’ll be able to get from Napa etc.

Here’s a good comparison. Even tho the picture adds a bit extra size..you can still see all the extra material on the UD over stock 44.

A8D7DDB6-7092-40A9-A06D-269BDC2A79FE.jpeg

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I have the UD44 for the JL. I only run 37’s but it’s held up fine. The 1410 u joints are massive and everything is a lot bigger. The brackets, C’s etc.

I follow someone on Instagram names sage8JL who has the UD 44 and he runs 40’s. So far no issues.

I didn’t go prorock 44 because of the fact the axle shafts are totally custom. JK ring and pinion with JK inner shafts and JL outers. Good luck sourcing replacement shafts in a pinch. With the UD you’d be able to put in a stock JL Rubicon shaft. Which eventually you’ll be able to get from Napa etc.

Here’s a good comparison. Even tho the picture adds a bit extra size..you can still see all the extra material on the UD over stock 44.

A8D7DDB6-7092-40A9-A06D-269BDC2A79FE.jpeg
To me it was never a question of what's stronger. Of course a ProRock or UD44 or Rockjock is going to be stronger but does one need the strength when guys seem to be wailing on their stock 44s? For some yes for sure.if no other reason than reassurance. Nothing wrong with that.

BTW I thought the dynatrac 44 was sold so that you could put all your stuff from your stock unit to the ProRock.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
To me it was never a question of what's stronger. Of course a ProRock or UD44 or Rockjock is going to be stronger but does one need the strength when guys seem to be wailing on their stock 44s? For some yes for sure.if no other reason than reassurance. Nothing wrong with that.

BTW I thought the dynatrac 44 was sold so that you could put all your stuff from your stock unit to the ProRock.
Unfortunately not the JL prorock 44

Further the inner shafts are not even Jk inners (due to JL axle width) They are custom length with Jk 32 splines for the jk ring and pinion. Lol. frankenstein shafts

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Jeep JLUS, '23 2500 Duramax, 23’ RAM 1500
Occupation
Operator Maintenance Technician III
Not directly related but I have a buddy who's in the middle of the 1 ton swap from F250/F350's. Artec makes all the mount parts needed. He claims he will be into it for under $7,000 when done which includes complete rebuild of the 1 tons with upgraded axles and lockers. That is significantly cheaper over the 60 route.

Maybe a good winter project!

PS: I spent a couple years in Whitehorse Yukon and always a favorite going to Skagway and Haines Alaska. Beautiful area.
Wait…u can throw those Axles in a JL???
Sponsored