me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
When attempting to install the wiring harness for my Rockslide Engineering Step Sliders, and having a manual transmission JL, I was quick to discover the instructions call for wiring through a blank that is installed to cover the clutch pedal feed-through. Obviously if you own a manual transmission JL, this will not work, and there are only a few discussions on the internet offering a solution. RSE doesn't even offer a solution, but hopefully will "officially" in the near future. So - here is what I did with thanks to some others that shared their findings and solutions...
First, I didn't want to have to do this ever again, so rather than just feed the RSE wires through, I fed 8 Gauge Wire through and installed a 6-position fuse block. Now I'm good for the RSE steps and an additional 5 power additions for future interior improvements.
Parts:
6' of both red and black 8 gauge automotive wire (good for the 100A max capacity of the fuse block)
4 - 1/4" round wire connectors for 8 gauge wire
1 - JOYHO 6-Way Fuse Block W/Negative Bus - ATC/ATO Fuse Box with Ground, LED Light Indication & Protection Cover, Bolt Connect Terminals (Amazon Prime same day delivery if you are in a hurry!)
4 - sheet metal screws
1 - Coat Hanger
Electrical Tape as needed

Procedure:
The basic procedure is to run the wires through the boot of the main electrical harness located inside the passenger side fender. It’s easily accessible by just removing the two lower fender liner press-fittings and folding the fender liner up and out of the way. If you support the front axle on a jack stand and remove the right front tire it makes accessibility much easier.
Attach the wires to the coat hanger leaving about 6" of coat hanger exposed to poke through the rubber boot. Wrap the wires together into a 2-wire bundle with electrical tape to give them a nice finished appearance one everything is done (do this now, as it will be much more difficult if not impossible once the wires have been installed!)
From inside the jeep in the upper passenger footwell, slide the coat hanger between the wire harness and the rubber boot being careful not to drive it toward the wire bundle. The boot has two walls. The wall on the inside of the jeep you can pull back a bit and not poke through it, but rather run along side it. Once through this area, you will hit the outside rubber wall of the boot which is taped into the wire harness and thus must be poked through. To ensure you are poking through the rubber boot and not into wires, look into the fender well and you will see where the coat hanger is applying pressure. Once it is confirmed that you are pressing against the boot, just keep pushing until it breaks through (I did it by myself, but having someone push from inside while observing and pulling from the fender side would be easier and faster). Once through the rubber membrane with the coat hanger, grab the coat hanger with a pair of pliers and fish the wires through. Once you have the wires, they route easily between the fender and battery into the engine compartment.

Cut the wires to length, attach the round wire connectors to each end of the 4 wires, then connect the ends to the battery posts and fuse block posts. Use sheet metal screws to attach the fuse block to the passenger footwell.

Now you have a nice, professional looking fuse block installed inside your manual transmission jeep for up to 6 accessories. The fuse block mentioned above can handle up to 30A in each slot and up to 100A total.

Hope this helps! Happy Jeeping!
Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I faced this same challenge, "real" () Jeeps don't have a blank clutch plug for convenient wire routing. I pulled the carpet back and drilled through the floor pan behind my clutch pedal. It's fairly convenient to run cables from here up behind the dash and likewise right to the frame. I had to pass a camera connection so I drilled out a 1/2" hole and then filled it with rtv. Works sufficiently not only to seal up the hole but also to reduce chances of corrosion and keep the wire from getting cut.

2019-09-28 19.32.47.jpg

rangejt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I faced this same challenge, "real" () Jeeps don't have a blank clutch plug for convenient wire routing. I pulled the carpet back and drilled through the floor pan behind my clutch pedal. It's fairly convenient to run cables from here up behind the dash and likewise right to the frame. I had to pass a camera connection so I drilled out a 1/2" hole and then filled it with rtv. Works sufficiently not only to seal up the hole but also to reduce chances of corrosion and keep the wire from getting cut.

2019-09-28 19.32.47.jpg
Just encountered this same issue yesterday, I bought the Rough Country ML-6 lower dash mount controller for my lights I am going to put on and of course the instructions are for an automatic transmission. Got the grommets and sealant ready for later today to get the hole drilled. Thanks for the info!

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I just ran into this. Spent the whole day installing and.... fuck.

Wonder if I can use one of my Aux Switches in the passenger side. Solids the wires there.

OP
OP
me109stock

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you want the item in your cabin to be controlled by the AUX switch then yes, you can use that. For my steps I wanted them powered all the time directly to the battery so that wasn't an option. If it was for a radio or something, you could use the AUX switch and probably get away with it. I believe the AUX switches can be programmed to keep the same setting when power is restored to them as when the power (ignition) was shut off. Not sure if they can be programmed to send power when the ignition is off. There are You-Tube videos on how to program those switches.

Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Where in gods name is the aux bundle for the interior.

OP
OP
me109stock

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Behind the passenger side kick panel on 2018 JLs and possibly 2019 JLs, behind the passenger dash near the center console for later 2019 and 2020 JLs. There are some other threads on this forum with more information on the AUX Switch wiring. You can also do a You Tube search (there are many out there on the Aux Switches). They will tell you where they are located for sure - I'm going off my memory from the ones I watched. You'll need to You Tube it anyway to find out how to program them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
me109stock

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just ran into this. Spent the whole day installing and.... fuck.

Wonder if I can use one of my Aux Switches in the passenger side. Solids the wires there.
What are you installing?

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Interior AUX bundle is on the passengers side footwell. I have heard differing accounts, but if AUX was installed from factory, then there should be a “battery” wire in that bundle. There is a thread on this forum that details which wires are which.

OP
OP
me109stock

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I believe behind the passenger side kick panel. Do a You Tube search (there are many out there on the Aux Switches). They will tell you where they are located for sure - I'm going off my memory from the ones I watched. You'll need to You Tube it anyway to find out how to program them.
Yep - Driver side kick panel... Here's a link:
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...BAgFEAE&biw=1035&bih=927#imgrc=iVdnV639FYFXfM

Sponsored

OP
OP
me109stock

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Interior AUX bundle is on the passengers side footwell. I have heard differing accounts, but if AUX was installed from factory, then there should be a “battery” wire in that bundle. There is a thread on this forum that details which wires are which.
Yes - there is a RED wire in the wire bundle for the AUX Controllers if you ordered it factory (not sure about if you added it later). It is not very heavy gauge though and I couldn't find an Amp rating anywhere that I looked. I would guess it's probably good for 15-20A. It isn't as thick as the 40A AUX wires.

Last edited:

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I feel like I’ve looked everywhere. Do I have to remove the outboard kick panel? I did but still can’t find it.

trying to install rock slide engineering step slides. I have a manual and they don’t tell you your firewall pass through is taken up by the clutch assembly so I’m hoping to use the aux switched on the interior but I’ve tore that thing apart and can’t seem to find them.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I found many bundles of wires but none have a free end.

I think I need a break. Getting frustrated.

OP
OP
me109stock

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I feel like I’ve looked everywhere. Do I have to remove the outboard kick panel? I did but still can’t find it.

trying to install rock slide engineering step slides. I have a manual and they don’t tell you your firewall pass through is taken up by the clutch assembly so I’m hoping to use the aux switched on the interior but I’ve tore that thing apart and can’t seem to find them.
Here is a picture pulled from the internet:
2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-auxiliary-switches-jpg-jpg.jpg
Sponsored