Sponsored

Daily Driver- Wrangler JL 2019-yes or no.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Great money in that...and part time to keep you busy, heck yeah.
It'll help me transition to full retirement, pay for a few big ticket items, and help them with a plane perception problem.
Sponsored

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUS (Granite Crystal)
Occupation
CPA
If the Wrangler had better gas mileage, it would be my dedicated DD. But because driving it 25-30 minutes to work on a week-daily basis means I have to fill up about once a week, I prefer to alternate between the Wrangler and my wife's Sonata. But I wholeheartedly agree: perhaps it's just that they "redesigned" it for 2018-current. Perhaps pre-2018 Wranglers wouldn't be nearly as amenable to a DD role. But this is my first Wrangler and I absolutely LOVE it. Haven't even had the chance to enjoy the top off yet because I just got it and live in New England. I'd gladly never drive anything else if the thing was more fuel efficient.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just rolled 10K miles. Freaking love my JLUR as my DD. I've had 3 other wranglers (YJ, TJ, JK) and various full-size trucks. Seriously love this thing. Kind of obsessed with it. Has all the features I loved of my trucks. But all the things everyone wants in a Jeep. Around town or road trips, I have zero issues with driving every day.

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
My Sahara is my daily driver. This one replaced a JK and I had 2 Cherokees before that.
This one has the best ride, power, and options of all of them so far.

IMG_0042.jpeg

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I decided to write this post for those people that are trying to decide on purchasing a JLU having not owned a Wrangler before. I've had a lot of new vehicles over the years. Not because I'm wealthy, I'm not, but because I'm obsessed with Cars, Trucks, SUV's etc. I traded in a 2012 Min Countryman for a Range Rover Evoque. Traded in the Evoque for a Kia Sorrento SXL-V6. Traded in a 12 Corvette Grand Sport as part of the Range Rover trade. I'm naming those few vehicles so I can give you an idea of how I can compare my 2019 Wrangler JLU to other daily drivers. Consumer Reports states that the Wrangler's wind noise makes it only good for around town jaunts. That is OBSURD. Let me just say, the Wrangler JL does have some extra wind noise due to the flat windshield. However, it is by no means "loud". You hear it, but I have no problem having discussions in my Jeep on the highway in any way. Overall, the Jeep is relatively quiet, it really is, just that windshield noise can be a little annoying but not bad. The ride is a bit stiff over bumpy side roads, but no worse in my opinion then my Mini, or even a Honda CRV. It isn't really that bad. The steering I find quick and pretty accurate, and I can turn it around fairly sharp turns with complete stability and grip. My Sorrento wasn't much better. I can honestly say that I LOVE driving my Jeep. I really love it. I bet excited every time I drive it and often look for reasons to get in and go for even a short ride even when I have no reason to go anywhere. I have owned a new 84 Jeep CJ7- that was rough. I learned to drive in my dad's very old 1944 Willy's. That was VERY rough. My 90, 92, 95, 97 TJ, Wranglers were all loved and at the time I thought they drove pretty well, but I was in my 20's and 30's so I didn't expect much. My 87 Suzuki Samurai- I loved it, but actually got whiplash over the George Washington Bridge in NY over a bad pothole. Im not exaggerating- it was brutal. So, can I recommend the JL as a daily driver?. COMPLETELY. The V6 is strong and the 8spd tranny is near perfect. Mine is a Sahara with everything - literally accept the color matched top. 12K miles and not a single issue, not even a rattle. Not one. For those of you wondering if you can see it as your dally driver, go for it. You will love it. Enjoy, God Bless.
Yep. All the reviews compare it to luxury SUVs due to the price tag on a new Wrangler being so high. Sure it's louder than a high-end SUV, but I have to say that the very first thing I noticed about the 2 door hard top when I test drove it was how quiet it was compared to the Subaru Forester I traded in when I bought the Jeep. I actually mentioned it to the sales guy during the test drive.

Sponsored

Harleexl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe Sting Gray
Occupation
Automotive
Yes. I love driving it daily despite some little things like a bit of play in the steering and some wind noise. 35 miles each way for work, 22-26mpg typical fuel economy with 2.0 turbo etorque JLU Sport.
I've had a WK Grand Cherokee and a KL Cherokee. Both are smoother and quieter with tight steering, but they didn't make me want to go drive around for no reason like the JL does...

znakos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I see people in Socal that DD topless CJs and everything up to a loaded JLU hardtop. It's about your attitude, not creature comforts. People used to DD horses. Some of my favorite times on a horse were in the worst weather. Life is about experiences. That guy in the suit that always had a Beemer for a DD will never remember any experience in it.

I have DD a crewcab 4x4 pickup for many years now. I bought the JLUR a year ago as part of my retirement plan to do more hunting. I didn't retire as planned yet, and the JLUR was a wandering beast that was a chore to keep on the road. So, it didn't get much driving. I did some DD to and from my job 25 miles away. But it was work to keep it straight and I never really enjoyed it. I only put 6000 miles on it around LA in a year. I'm a 25-28k annual driver. I tried, but it sucked. My wife drove it one time in a year, part of the drive home from the purchase. Never again.

I read all the stuff on this forum and finally decided to attempt a fix with aftermarket parts. I fixed the steering recently and WOW! I really enjoy it around town. It's easy to park and make u-turns, easy to see over most sedans in traffic, and is acceptably quiet with the hardtop and the noise cancelling technology.Alpine system. I DD a lot now. But I'm gonna stop DD to work in a month.................retiring finally.
Care to share the exact after market parts and what you believe really helped fix your steering issue? There are quite a few of us on here having the same exact issue and no luck/help from the dealer...

KDoc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Jeep Cherokee Unlimited 2015 Diesel, 2019 JL Overland ( Sahara in USA)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I decided to write this post for those people that are trying to decide on purchasing a JLU having not owned a Wrangler before. I've had a lot of new vehicles over the years. Not because I'm wealthy, I'm not, but because I'm obsessed with Cars, Trucks, SUV's etc. I traded in a 2012 Min Countryman for a Range Rover Evoque. Traded in the Evoque for a Kia Sorrento SXL-V6. Traded in a 12 Corvette Grand Sport as part of the Range Rover trade. I'm naming those few vehicles so I can give you an idea of how I can compare my 2019 Wrangler JLU to other daily drivers. Consumer Reports states that the Wrangler's wind noise makes it only good for around town jaunts. That is OBSURD. Let me just say, the Wrangler JL does have some extra wind noise due to the flat windshield. However, it is by no means "loud". You hear it, but I have no problem having discussions in my Jeep on the highway in any way. Overall, the Jeep is relatively quiet, it really is, just that windshield noise can be a little annoying but not bad. The ride is a bit stiff over bumpy side roads, but no worse in my opinion then my Mini, or even a Honda CRV. It isn't really that bad. The steering I find quick and pretty accurate, and I can turn it around fairly sharp turns with complete stability and grip. My Sorrento wasn't much better. I can honestly say that I LOVE driving my Jeep. I really love it. I bet excited every time I drive it and often look for reasons to get in and go for even a short ride even when I have no reason to go anywhere. I have owned a new 84 Jeep CJ7- that was rough. I learned to drive in my dad's very old 1944 Willy's. That was VERY rough. My 90, 92, 95, 97 TJ, Wranglers were all loved and at the time I thought they drove pretty well, but I was in my 20's and 30's so I didn't expect much. My 87 Suzuki Samurai- I loved it, but actually got whiplash over the George Washington Bridge in NY over a bad pothole. Im not exaggerating- it was brutal. So, can I recommend the JL as a daily driver?. COMPLETELY. The V6 is strong and the 8spd tranny is near perfect. Mine is a Sahara with everything - literally accept the color matched top. 12K miles and not a single issue, not even a rattle. Not one. For those of you wondering if you can see it as your dally driver, go for it. You will love it. Enjoy, God Bless.
Well said , I fully agree as I too have had a large variety and a lot of cars over my life ( now 62) . The JL brings a smile every time I hope in it .... Thanks Jeep !!!

xtraham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited
Love my JL as a DD. However, on a long trip, 4 hours is about all my back can take without a break, I wish the seats were just a tad better. Then again, at 64 years of age, my back does best in a recliner!

Sponsored

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
My JL is my only car. I love driving it especially now that I have the soft top. Gas is more expensive but so worth it. The Jeep is nice and comfortable for my DD, I am proud to be a mall crawler.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Love my JL as a DD. However, on a long trip, 4 hours is about all my back can take without a break, I wish the seats were just a tad better. Then again, at 64 years of age, my back does best in a recliner!
I'm 51 y/o and have had a neck injury (weight lifting, which has given me grief since my 20s) though for me the upright seat and lots of head room are actually good for my back, but the damn headrest are just so far forward it makes my neck sore on longer trips.

I work from home now so DDing the Wrangler is a no brainer since my "daily commute" is up the hill to run the dogs. For that the Wrangler is a natural fit.

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If the Wrangler had better gas mileage, it would be my dedicated DD. But because driving it 25-30 minutes to work on a week-daily basis means I have to fill up about once a week, I prefer to alternate between the Wrangler and my wife's Sonata. But I wholeheartedly agree: perhaps it's just that they "redesigned" it for 2018-current. Perhaps pre-2018 Wranglers wouldn't be nearly as amenable to a DD role. But this is my first Wrangler and I absolutely LOVE it. Haven't even had the chance to enjoy the top off yet because I just got it and live in New England. I'd gladly never drive anything else if the thing was more fuel efficient.
Hello David if only my JLR could have my wife’s hybrid sonata engine now that would be a DD dream

7C1FB041-1899-42A9-A801-5D3CA0CE4A47.jpeg

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUS (Granite Crystal)
Occupation
CPA
Hello David if only my JLR could have my wife’s hybrid sonata engine now that would be a DD dream

7C1FB041-1899-42A9-A801-5D3CA0CE4A47.jpeg
I bet. I love the 2.0 w/ Turbo on the Sahara, but would definitely be more efficient to have the Sonata’s engine haha

n2jeep

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
My 2cents:

Drive mine daily 50miles per day for work, some hwy some country roads and no major complaints. That's with the mopar 2" lift kit and 20x10s w/ 35s. My wife has a 2019 Honda Passport, I had not rode or drove the Honda in around 2weeks and we took it out a few nights a go. I must admit, it drives like a Cadillac compared to my Jeep. But i'm used to daily driving lifted 4x4 trucks that I had in the past, so its not much different with the Wrangler.
Sponsored