First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
The ZR2 diesel power and fuel economy is poor. But there are aftermarket upgrades. They also come with 31” tires. Seriously 31s? A friend has a ZR2 and I went to Uwharrie. I was in my Grand Cherokee diesel (33” 2.5 lift). They both did great. It had rained the night before and the mud made each trail a notch harder. I got a lot of comments like “wow the Grand Cherokee made it”. The ZR2 would have done better with bigger tires and more aggressive driving. It was brand new so he wasn’t hitting the obstacles very hard. I don’t blame him,I wouldn’t want to trash a new truck either. We are putting a lift on the ZR2 after Christmas. My point is the ZR2 was a very close second for my purchase. Jeep shouldn’t jerk us around too much, there are options. Plus the extra $10000 will make a lot of upgrades.
I saw where a Colorado pulling a trailer 100 pounds over the rated specs and the frame bent in the middle. I think it will be worth the wait and hassle. I don't like how all this is going down, but it wouldn't make me ever change my mind. I think you made th right move and if you ever sell it, you will really be glad you went Wrangler!
Sponsored

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
The ZR2 diesel power and fuel economy is poor. But there are aftermarket upgrades. They also come with 31” tires. Seriously 31s? A friend has a ZR2 and I went to Uwharrie. I was in my Grand Cherokee diesel (33” 2.5 lift). They both did great. It had rained the night before and the mud made each trail a notch harder. I got a lot of comments like “wow the Grand Cherokee made it”. The ZR2 would have done better with bigger tires and more aggressive driving. It was brand new so he wasn’t hitting the obstacles very hard. I don’t blame him,I wouldn’t want to trash a new truck either. We are putting a lift on the ZR2 after Christmas. My point is the ZR2 was a very close second for my purchase. Jeep shouldn’t jerk us around too much, there are options. Plus the extra $10000 will make a lot of upgrades.
I also considered a ZR2 for a while but couldn’t justify the limits of approach, departure, breakover, and water fording depth. Even if you modify the rig enough to take 35s, the subsequent wheel articulation doesn’t match a JLU on 37s and you’re left with the same 2 less inches of ground clearance, 4 less inches of fording depth and not-even-the-same-ballpark approach and departure angles. For some folks, their use case doesn’t require such capability which is totally understandable and the ZR2 starts to make a lot of sense. I’ve already found the limits of each of those variables on trail with my JLUR so could never consider backtracking to a ZR2. YMMV.

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
Will the week of the 16th bring some diesel answers to those of us waiting?

FCA, how bout it?

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

FCA, how bout it?
I’ll take some good news please. Would make for a good birthday present for me on the 16th :champagne:

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

FCA, how bout it?
Better yet, Monday is the preferred EPA fuel economy release day...if those numbers drop tomorrow, the acceleration of production will be immediate.

WarShark

First Name
Liu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys Ecodiesel
Vehicle Showcase
At this point I feel it’s more realistic that Santa will magically fit a JLU down a chimmey I don’t have. FCA is so good at misleading and lying it’s almost like they trying to run for office as a politician

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
Better yet, Monday is the preferred EPA fuel economy release day...if those numbers drop tomorrow, the acceleration of production will be immediate.
I am checking in the morning before I head to the doctors for my pre-op visit. This would brighten my day!

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
how about a link to where you check?

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Frostbit

First Name