Sponsored

How much steering play does your JL have?

How much steering play does your JL have?

• Total voters

FFCars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Any vehicle driving down the road requires tiny amounts of steering input to track straight. I’ve had 2 lifted JKUR’s and they didn’t wear me out driving. My JLUR requires so much extra steering correction to go straight that it’s mentally tiresome.

At any speed, I can move my steering wheel about an inch either direction and my JLUR doesn’t change direction.

By the way, the dealer did find that my steering stabilizer shock was installed wrong at the factory and it was damaged. They replaced it, but I didn’t see any change. I told the dealer that I think the steering box lash doesn’t seem to be adjusted properly and I’d like for them to install a new box since they aren’t allowed to touch the adjustment screw. But the dealer (Ed Voyles in Marietta) said the way it drives is normal and they won’t replace the steering box. I’ve read all about this on the forum, but I wanted to do a poll to see if mine drives any different than yours.

I opened a JeepCare case and they said the next step is to take it to another dealer to see if they think it needs any other work. I want to see if I’m wasting my time. It could be just the way this model is designed. That might be the disappointing reality.

thanks!
Sponsored

rajinator3000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I also bought my jlu sport s from Ed voyles, and I have noticed that I do have a decent amount of steering play, but not an inch. I’ve driven both stock and lifted jku’s and honestly the steering play with both the jku and jlu for the non rubicon variants has been relatively the same for me. Sometimes it’s worse than others, but I do recognize at times that I have to have a decent amount of steering input, especially on the highway. I really hope Es voyles can come around to helping you out, and best of luck on fixing the problem.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
1/4” is not very much at all, but I voted 0-1/4” because as far as I can tell, my steering is fine. If I move the wheel left or right, even a little, the jeep moves. Haven’t measured it; I haven’t felt the need to. Hope your issues get sorted out.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
FFCars, You said you can move the steering wheel an inch in either direction and the Jeep doesn't change direction. That was about what I thought mine was doing. But I took it up on the highway and tried turning the wheel a little and holding it there. It did change direction, with a lag. It was like the steering wheel was hooked to the steering system with bungee cords.

My theory was that the trackbar was not holding the axle in place, and the steering system was pushing and pulling it around.

I bought a full set of Steer Smarts steering parts: tierod, draglink, trackbar, and a Falcon damper. However, as of this time, I've only replaced the trackbar with a SteerSmarts Yeti Pro trackbar. Changing the trackbar made a dramatic change in the steering. I believe the bushings in the trackbar were too soft and the bar itself was flexing.

Why do some have this symptom and others don't? I think there's a possibility the soft bushings are a quality control issue that may have simply been a manufacturing error in the rubber. Or it could be a design specification issue where the rubber spec doesn't adequately control the hardness.

Keep in mind there's a relationship between the trackbar stiffness and the stiffness of the steering damper. If you install a stiffer damper, more steering force pushes or pulls the axle from side to side, which can affect how the steering feels if the trackbar or its bushings are flexing.

If you decide you want to fix it on your nickel, I recommend checking the trackbar bushings while someone moves the steering wheel back and forth. I think you'll be surprised. Also look at the trackbar itself for flexing. If you decide to change things yourself, change one thing at a time and test it. Otherwise you'll never know for sure what fixed it. Currently, the most reported components with problems in the steering seem to be: steering box, intermediate shaft, and trackbar. As for the damper, it could introduce a spongy feel or reduce a spongy feel, depending on the stiffness characteristics.

Sponsored

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
I've owned short wheelbase Jeeps since 1974, including CJ's, YJ's, TJ's, JK's, and now this JLR. The JLR is by far the best driving short wheelbase Jeep I've ever owned. It doesn't drive like a big heavy car (thank goodness), but it is pretty much effortless to drive on the highway, I just have to rest one hand on the steering wheel, and I'm good.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
I've got about 9K miles on mine now. I have not really noticed any play in the steering. It actually seems very responsive.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon

Anyone who thinks the steering in the attached video is abnormal for a Jeep needs to sell there Wrangler and buy a Honda.

What you need to understand is there is no "void" in the column. When you turn the wheel the wheels do turn. But due to design it is perceived as though there is "play", when in fact there is no play.

....enough with the steering issue already.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I have about 1/2" of play and I'm good with it. This is after 4 dealership service visits for steering issues (including track bar TSB, v41 recall and power steering recalibration TSB).

I started at 2 to 3 inches of play, so I am very happy with 1/2".

Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase

Anyone who thinks the steering in the attached video is abnormal for a Jeep needs to sell there Wrangler and buy a Honda.

What you need to understand is there is no "void" in the column. When you turn the wheel the wheels do turn. But due to design it is perceived as though there is "play", when in fact there is no play.

....enough with the steering issue already.
Your steering is great!

This is how mine is now. However, this is only after several dealership warranty repairs.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
There's a correction you can make using, your front tires, that's not dependant on the LOAD RANGE !

If you lower the RUNNING AIR PRESSIURE to 28----32 psi, that will allow the front tire SIDEWALLS to allow the individual tires to accept the hiway irregularities/ WITHOUT TRANSMITTING THE MOVEMENT TO THE TIEROD and that will DECREASE THE STEERINGWHEEL PLAY !

It has made a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE in my JLR/JLU driving !

W.E.

JIMBO

OP
OP

FFCars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If you decide you want to fix it on your nickel, I recommend checking the trackbar bushings while someone moves the steering wheel back and forth. I think you'll be surprised. Also look at the trackbar itself for flexing. If you decide to change things yourself, change one thing at a time and test it. Otherwise you'll never know for sure what fixed it. Currently, the most reported components with problems in the steering seem to be: steering box, intermediate shaft, and trackbar. As for the damper, it could introduce a spongy feel or reduce a spongy feel, depending on the stiffness characteristics.
I think a track bar and fox 2 steering dampener is next for me. Thanks for your detailed post. It’s very helpful.

OP
OP

FFCars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I have about 1/2" of play and I'm good with it. This is after 4 dealership service visits for steering issues (including track bar TSB, v41 recall and power steering recalibration TSB).

I started at 2 to 3 inches of play, so I am very happy with 1/2".
What do you mean by steering recalibration?
Sponsored