Sponsored

Shattered the rear glass of my hard top. RIP.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
That’s what I would do. As far as the wires and doggies, I would wrap them and afix them to where the dog wouldn’t notice or take interest. This really sucks...horrible situation.
Just unplug wires as if top was off. And ya, I really feel for op :(

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
I can't help you with the window but you are better off building a hoist your self. Attached is a picture of one I built for my JKU rubicon. You can find some more pictures and details on JK forum i think. Basiclly it works like this, Build a hanging shelf four chains supporting a 1/2inch thick plywood. I made mine rigid by doing the bottom of the perimeter with 2x4s. Use chains and adjustable links at all our corner to connect the hanging shelf. (Use eye bolts and quick links to connect the top and bottom of the hanging shelf) . Be sure that the chains are connected to rafters not to dry wall if your garage is finished find the wood frame work to connect not the dry wall.

Then secure a boat winch to the floor. Make sure the hanging shelf is large enough so your top fits on it easily. When not in use you can disconnect the shelf .

Once you have the right height ( make it higher than your hood by 3 inches) swing it out of the way by disconnecting one side withthe quicklinks

On the end of the winch use four ropes run through a 2 x4 to attached to straps. and a single eye bolt through th emiddle that attaches through the 2x4 which spreads out the ropes straps. Straps srpead the weight of the top out better than rope. Run one strap through one side and one through the other buckle tham so they are secure then attach the ropes to the straps and adjust as needed sot he top lifs horizontally. A bit of trial and error. Next be sure your hanging shelf is higher than the level of the the tub. Take off the front parts of the top. Back the jeep in double check you height secure the straps through the top front to back. un bolt and lift it off using the winch, lock the winch off.
Pull the jeep out, swingthe shelf back and connect the other side using the quick links lower the roof back on to the hanging shelf. Maintain a little tension on the winch so the roof is supported by the winch and the shelf. Put the front parts of the of the top and anythingelse you need on the shelf inside the rest of the top. If you have the height right and the shelf is far enough back in your garage you can then pull in forward and the shelf will sit above your hood, This allows for wasted spaced in garage to be used for storage. I used to take the entire harfd and soft top off simultaeously and and store them that way.

IMG_5149.JPG
Can you share more pictures? I'm struggling to totally understand

OP
OP
Strifeborn

Strifeborn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Tech Sales
Can you purchase another factory top from Jeep and then sell yours once it its fixed? It's a costly solution but, it sounds like you will be waiting for a while.
I had the same thought but evidently they aren’t available from Jeep with the glass. It has to be ordered separately and installed with it lol. Insane right?

Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Installed a cheap hoist (Classic mistake, you get what you pay for) over the weekend and when we went to lift the hard top the rear glass inexplicably shattered into 10,000 pieces all over my JLU and Garage. Took us a few hours to clean up and fortunately nobody was hurt.

Now I have no idea what I am going to do, Geico is covering the replacement but Jeep is saying that the part isn't available anywhere in the country and there is no ETA on manufacturing. Because the glass includes the heating element, the rear wiper, etc. it's a specific piece of glass that needs to come from Jeep. To make things even worse Jeep doesn't have Soft tops available and my dealership is telling me that if we order a hard top it does not come with the rear glass (Supposedly you still need to order this part separately and have it installed, which just seems so dumb). Additionally because the JL is so new there are zero aftermarket options available.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Years ago I was traveling from Denver to Chicago, stopped for the night in Omaha, and had my car (Geo Storm) broken into. They broke the driver side window and back hatch window. Holiday weekend and no place to get it fixed, and wanted out of Omaha pronto.

My solution was to cut a piece of plexiglas from the hardware store for the driver window, and then used a piece of thin plywood for the back. The side plexiglas worked great, and you could not even tell it was not glass from 5 or so feet away. The plywood of course was opaque, so I had to rely on the side mirrors. But maybe you can find a large enough piece of plexiglas for the Jeep rear window. It should get you by for a while until the regular glass can be sourced.

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
Sorry to read this OP, makes me scared about mine now lol
Probably gonna have it tinted so the film adds some «tolerance» and would take some of the heat in case some minor twist happens... and hold the pieces in case it’d break lol

OP
OP
Strifeborn

Strifeborn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Tech Sales
if you were closer i would loan you my soft or hard top. maybe your local jeep club has someone that got a dual top?
I’m one of two people in it with a JL so far, great idea though!!

Smooth9883

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLRU & 2018 WK2 Trailhawk
Watch this video. Very similar except he uses 2x4s with hooks on them instead of straps. It’s pretty nifty.
Lol this is awesome! Do you have any pictures of how you connect the top pieces? The rest looks really straight forward.

To the OP: out of curiosity, what stress did you put on the window if it was open? Did something get tweaked the wrong way?

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

this “magical tweak = glass explosion” thing is riveting. need a structural engineer /architect to give his .02 on wtf is going on. i’m just gonna blame aliens for now

Sponsored

Smooth9883

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLRU & 2018 WK2 Trailhawk
this “magical tweak = glass explosion” thing is riveting. need a structural engineer /architect to give his .02 on wtf is going on. i’m just gonna blame aliens for now
Could have been the swamp gasses reflecting the light from the moon based on the absorption of martian radiation. Just saying it could be.

dmeyerrph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Firecracker Red
I never had any problems with the Lange Hoist-a-top for my TJ and JK. Was it that brand?

Forgettable1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I've been pretty rough on my JK top. Just use ratchet straps connected to screw eyes in the ceiling. How exactly did you have the hoist connected ? what was happening when the glass broke?
Sponsored

Last edited: