Mopar 5” and 7” LED Offroad lights

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Mine are mounted sideways so I can still fold the windshield. They light up the fender and the Rubicon logo, I'd imagine if mounted above the hood the glare will be high.

That's why they typically recommend putting a light with a spot/driving pattern on the cowl as they're a narrower beam pattern.
Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
is there any reason the 5" mopar light won't mount on the baja designs A-pillar mount? Its so much smaller and less conspicuous than the mopar mount. I get the versatility of the mopar mount and still being able to lower the windshield, but I'll never use that.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
is there any reason the 5" mopar light won't mount on the baja designs A-pillar mount? Its so much smaller and less conspicuous than the mopar mount. I get the versatility of the mopar mount and still being able to lower the windshield, but I'll never use that.
Can't imagine there being any issue with that. I kinda like the Mopar mount though. Beefy.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I finally tested out my off road lights. Very nice jump in light that the camera really didn’t capture well. They really light up a large area ahead and to the sides of the Jeep.

440C9EE0-5445-4EEB-9863-87B881786EDA.jpeg

F2AB01FE-2AC1-447C-8FF0-771389AE1A81.jpeg

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Can't imagine there being any issue with that. I kinda like the Mopar mount though. Beefy.
I saw one in person last week and I don't hate it. Definitely beefy. So is the light though. So much bigger than the BD squadrons everyone is doing. I'm torn. The dilemma continues.

Sponsored

m453w

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
upload_2019-12-12_12-23-27.jpeg
For the same reasons you mentioned, I went with the KC Hilites A-Pillar mounting brackets. I think the look is much better than the Mopar brackets - although you do have the windshield limitation you noted. I used them for the 5 inch Mopar lites. easy install, the brackets are well built and look great.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

For the same reasons you mentioned, I went with the KC Hilites A-Pillar mounting brackets. I think the look is much better than the Mopar brackets - although you do have the windshield limitation you noted. I used them for the 5 inch Mopar lites. easy install, the brackets are well built and look great.

I get the slight whistle reported by others for my pillar lights. It isn't all that loud but it is there. Do those less intrusive mounts reduce that at all? How's your highway drive with those?

m453w

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I get the slight whistle reported by others for my pillar lights. It isn't all that loud but it is there. Do those less intrusive mounts reduce that at all? How's your highway drive with those?
I haven’t noticed any whistling from the KC mount and 5 in Mopar lite combo. I’ve run at low to 65 mph speeds. The KC mounts don’t have a lot of structure to create whistling. With mounts like the Mopar mounts, you have more flat surface with perforations that can contribute to whistling, IMO.

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE
I haven’t noticed any whistling from the KC mount and 5 in Mopar lite combo. I’ve run at low to 65 mph speeds. The KC mounts don’t have a lot of structure to create whistling. With mounts like the Mopar mounts, you have more flat surface with perforations that can contribute to whistling, IMO.
I have both a 5” (which are not 5”) on my pillars and 7” (which are not 7”) on my front guard bar And have no whistling whatsoever been on for almost 2 years

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I have both a 5” (which are not 5”) on my pillars and 7” (which are not 7”) on my front guard bar And have no whistling whatsoever been on for almost 2 years
So "whistling" is a bit strong. You don't hear them at all eh?

Sponsored

aegiscpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I am about to wire up my lights, got a couple of questions that the forum members might be able to assist me with... Anyone have experience using the waterproof solder style connectors? (Could not get a photo to post, but a basic GOOGLE search will yield the pictures) These are available in many different quantities on AMAZON. Really like the idea of a self sealing connector that also "solders" the connection. Wondering if anyone has used these instead of the traditional crimp style connectors?

Second question... any reason why I could not use a Male to Female Blade type connector or a Male to Female Snap connector for wiring to the aux switches? I am thinking of putting the Female end on the AUX wire and a Male connector on the device I am wiring it to, that way in the future I could "unplug" the wires and re-configure my connections... Your thoughts?

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am about to wire up my lights, got a couple of questions that the forum members might be able to assist me with... Anyone have experience using the waterproof solder style connectors? (Could not get a photo to post, but a basic GOOGLE search will yield the pictures) These are available in many different quantities on AMAZON. Really like the idea of a self sealing connector that also "solders" the connection. Wondering if anyone has used these instead of the traditional crimp style connectors?

Second question... any reason why I could not use a Male to Female Blade type connector or a Male to Female Snap connector for wiring to the aux switches? I am thinking of putting the Female end on the AUX wire and a Male connector on the device I am wiring it to, that way in the future I could "unplug" the wires and re-configure my connections... Your thoughts?

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have use the butt splice connectors that are waterproof and they work fine. The self soldering ones (heat up) work just as well. I’d like to connect with that you can just take apart makes it easy if you want to switch things around.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
So I bite the bullet and bought Mopar 7 inch lights, one question I have:

Regardless how much I tighten them, I can always push the lights tilting back and forth, is it by design like this? I would like to set an angle and forget about it. It seems the lights are not loose but can always swivel when push harder.

20200411_220553.jpg

FulThrotl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
So I bite the bullet and bought Mopar 7 inch lights, one question I have:

Regardless how much I tighten them, I can always push the lights tilting back and forth, is it by design like this? I would like to set an angle and forget about it. It seems the lights are not loose but can always swivel when push harder.

20200411_220553.jpg
well, if you take a look at the baja designs mount, it's two bolts on each side.
one is a pivot, and one is to keep things from rotating around the pivot.
it appears you only have a single pivot bolt. no matter how much you tighten
something like that up, it'll move when you push it.

it's just a limitation of the design.
Sponsored