Sponsored

Shattered the rear glass of my hard top. RIP.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Geez, it pains me to read about a shattered rear window, especially when replacement is not available.
Sorry you have to deal with this.

Nothing to do with this incidence of hardtop rear window glass breakage, but for those that do not know, it is a major no no to ride around with the hardtop's rear window in the open position.

Sure, you see people doing it, but over the years it has been reported....forum posts ... saying the window exploded/shattered when someone was driving down the road with the rear window raised. Raised just for the hell of it, raised so the 2x4's they bought at Lowe's could stick out, etc..

If the open rear window lets say tweaks/twists just a little bit, it is prone to shattering...... this is not exclusive to the Jeep Wrangler. Applies to most any vehicle with a rear window / hatch type window that can be left open while driving. Best bet, don't do it..
Sponsored

Last edited:

uudog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Geez, it pains me to read about a shattered rear window, especially when replacement is not available.
Sorry you have to deal with this.

Nothing to do with this incidence of hardtop rear window glass breakage, but for those that do not know, it is a major no no to ride around with the hardtop's rear window in the open position.

Sure, you see people doing it but over the years it has been reported....forum posts ... saying the window exploded/shattered when someone was driving down the road with the rear window raised. Raised just for the hell of it, raised so the 2x4's they bought at Lowe's could stick out, etc..

If the open rear window lets say tweaks/twists just a little bit, it is prone to shattering...... this is not exclusive to the Jeep Wrangler. Applies to most any vehicle with a rear window / hatch type window that can be left open while driving. Best bet, don't do it..
I was just wondering that today. I see other SUV's with the back glass open (dog in back, etc.) I was wondering if you can do the same with the Wrangler hard tops, but I see that you shouldn't.

Thanks for the tip!

OP, I am sorry that your glass shattered. Once replaced, I am sure you will be hesitant with using a hoist again (as would anyone). Good luck with the replacement.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I can't help you with the window but you are better off building a hoist your self. Attached is a picture of one I built for my JKU rubicon. You can find some more pictures and details on JK forum i think. Basiclly it works like this, Build a hanging shelf four chains supporting a 1/2inch thick plywood. I made mine rigid by doing the bottom of the perimeter with 2x4s. Use chains and adjustable links at all our corner to connect the hanging shelf. (Use eye bolts and quick links to connect the top and bottom of the hanging shelf) . Be sure that the chains are connected to rafters not to dry wall if your garage is finished find the wood frame work to connect not the dry wall.

Then secure a boat winch to the floor. Make sure the hanging shelf is large enough so your top fits on it easily. When not in use you can disconnect the shelf .

Once you have the right height ( make it higher than your hood by 3 inches) swing it out of the way by disconnecting one side withthe quicklinks

On the end of the winch use four ropes run through a 2 x4 to attached to straps. and a single eye bolt through th emiddle that attaches through the 2x4 which spreads out the ropes straps. Straps srpead the weight of the top out better than rope. Run one strap through one side and one through the other buckle tham so they are secure then attach the ropes to the straps and adjust as needed sot he top lifs horizontally. A bit of trial and error. Next be sure your hanging shelf is higher than the level of the the tub. Take off the front parts of the top. Back the jeep in double check you height secure the straps through the top front to back. un bolt and lift it off using the winch, lock the winch off.
Pull the jeep out, swingthe shelf back and connect the other side using the quick links lower the roof back on to the hanging shelf. Maintain a little tension on the winch so the roof is supported by the winch and the shelf. Put the front parts of the of the top and anythingelse you need on the shelf inside the rest of the top. If you have the height right and the shelf is far enough back in your garage you can then pull in forward and the shelf will sit above your hood, This allows for wasted spaced in garage to be used for storage. I used to take the entire harfd and soft top off simultaeously and and store them that way.

IMG_5149.JPG

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
snipe:
I was just wondering that today. I see other SUV's with the back glass open (dog in back, etc.) I was wondering if you can do the same with the Wrangler hard tops, but I see that you shouldn't.
Thanks for the tip!
Like I said you will see lots of guys/gals riding around with that back window on the hardtop open. Indeed, they get away with doing same until.. until, and then it is to late. Hit the right bump, etc. and the window tweaks and it shatters. So, can you get away's with it.. maybe. Just like people get a way with J walking, walking on thin ice, pissing out in public and such..

Sponsored

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
I would drive with The hardtop on and afix some type of temporary clear plastic to the back for now with Gorilla tape. Far from
Ideal but functional.
That’s what I would do. As far as the wires and doggies, I would wrap them and afix them to where the dog wouldn’t notice or take interest. This really sucks...horrible situation.

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
Better start a Visqueen Club :cwl::cwl::handsinair::handsinair:

goracers

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I can't help you with the window but you are better off building a hoist your self. Attached is a picture of one I built for my JKU rubicon. You can find some more pictures and details on JK forum i think. Basiclly it works like this, Build a hanging shelf four chains supporting a 1/2inch thick plywood. I made mine rigid by doing the bottom of the perimeter with 2x4s. Use chains and adjustable links at all our corner to connect the hanging shelf. (Use eye bolts and quick links to connect the top and bottom of the hanging shelf) . Be sure that the chains are connected to rafters not to dry wall if your garage is finished find the wood frame work to connect not the dry wall.

Then secure a boat winch to the floor. Make sure the hanging shelf is large enough so your top fits on it easily. When not in use you can disconnect the shelf .

Once you have the right height ( make it higher than your hood by 3 inches) swing it out of the way by disconnecting one side withthe quicklinks

On the end of the winch use four ropes run through a 2 x4 to attached to straps. and a single eye bolt through th emiddle that attaches through the 2x4 which spreads out the ropes straps. Straps srpead the weight of the top out better than rope. Run one strap through one side and one through the other buckle tham so they are secure then attach the ropes to the straps and adjust as needed sot he top lifs horizontally. A bit of trial and error. Next be sure your hanging shelf is higher than the level of the the tub. Take off the front parts of the top. Back the jeep in double check you height secure the straps through the top front to back. un bolt and lift it off using the winch, lock the winch off.
Pull the jeep out, swingthe shelf back and connect the other side using the quick links lower the roof back on to the hanging shelf. Maintain a little tension on the winch so the roof is supported by the winch and the shelf. Put the front parts of the of the top and anythingelse you need on the shelf inside the rest of the top. If you have the height right and the shelf is far enough back in your garage you can then pull in forward and the shelf will sit above your hood, This allows for wasted spaced in garage to be used for storage. I used to take the entire harfd and soft top off simultaeously and and store them that way.

IMG_5149.JPG
Interesting. Why the shelf? I have a similar setup with the straps around the hardtop but no shelf below. Is it just extra safety so it will not fall?

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
Interesting. Why the shelf? I have a similar setup with the straps around the hardtop but no shelf below. Is it just extra safety so it will not fall?
I was wondering the same thing. Looks like a good place to put my beer?

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
It was open
Well that puts a monkey wrench in my setup. Now I'm going to be paranoid though I've used it on my LJ hard top for the last two years. The window stays open as I hoist my top to the ceiling.

Gotta find out how you tweaked yours to shatter it. Sorry for your loss. Hope a fix comes soon.

U.S. Marine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Joe, hate to read about your shattered rear window and it's even worse to read that the OEM replacement part is unavailable at this time. Call a auto salvage yard and have them input in their computer for a nationwide search for the rear window. There may be a JL that may have been in an accident that cracked the top but not the rear window. I think it maybe worth a shot, good luck with your current situation.

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
Joe, hate to read about your shattered rear window and it's even worse to read that the OEM replacement part is unavailable at this time. Call a auto salvage yard and have them input in their computer for a nationwide search for the rear window. There may be a JL that may have been in an accident that cracked the top but not the rear window. I think it maybe worth a shot, good luck with your current situation.
Great idea

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
That sounds like best, affordable remedy to get you by until glass is available
Sponsored