Sponsored

Looks like Edelbrock is getting closer to production.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
While I understand the anomosity toward CARB by younger generations than I, I am probably still alive and relatively healthy because of them. So, I'm more onboard with them now than ever before in my life. When I came to the LA basin in 1968, I was 12 years old. The air was so polluted, you couldn't see more than 5-6 miles and you could literally taste the air. All my family looked like we were crying. Our eyes burned like hell. Ronald Reagan had just given CARB their launch and given them a lot of power. There were about 10 million people in the greater LA basin. Today, there are twice as many people and more than twice the number of vehicles, since now families are more likely to have mulitiple vehicles than back then. We had smog alerts for days when it was unhealthy to go outside.

Today, the air is much safer. Don't take it for granted. CARB is definitely worth the cost and inconvenience.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
While I understand the anomosity toward CARB by younger generations than I, I am probably still alive and relatively healthy because of them. So, I'm more onboard with them now than ever before in my life. When I came to the LA basin in 1968, I was 12 years old. The air was so polluted, you couldn't see more than 5-6 miles and you could literally taste the air. All my family looked like we were crying. Our eyes burned like hell. Ronald Reagan had just given CARB their launch and given them a lot of power. There were about 10 million people in the greater LA basin. Today, there are twice as many people and more than twice the number of vehicles, since now families are more likely to have mulitiple vehicles than back then. We had smog alerts for days when it was unhealthy to go outside.

Today, the air is much safer. Don't take it for granted. CARB is definitely worth the cost and inconvenience.
And you think CARB fixed all that, oh boy. I have some swampland in Florida to sell you.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Same old story from car parts pedlers selling their trinkets. You want the money in your pocket now, but could care less about complying with regulations or what it does to people in the long haul.

LateBraking

First Name
Y'all a cult.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon

As someone who back when I was younger working in LA versus going into LA today and actually being able to see the sky instead of a grease orange layer in the air in the morning, I agree that technology has come a long way in helping to improve air quality.

That said, some of CARB's policies just make no sense. Federal vehicle emissions and corporate average fuel economy standards I would argue do more of the sensible heavy lifting.

Same example I used before: why does it matter if people pay fees to CARB to get a catalytic converter roster'd for use in CA? If it meets emissions standards, it should fly. Meanwhile, the rest of the nation benefits from those technologies. People paying a tax to get it rostered on CARB's good boy list doesn't change the efficiency of the catalytic converter. It just raises prices on our end and reduces innovative variety. CA has a lot of inefficient bureaucracy.

At any rate, you don't see me not complying. I play along and comply. Two of my cars are legally exempt from emissions, and the rest get smog checks every other year when BAR sends me the letter to go get smogged.

Derailing thread from Edelbrock danger, steering back on to topic.

@LateBraking and a non Kalifornia KARB swap would be about?
Engine swap? No idea. I'm in Kommiefornia and it's not legal to do a swap that doesn't comply, which makes it irrelevant to me and therefore I haven't cared to look.

I've asked other manufacturers if they'll CARB-certiify, but rather than say yes or no, they've outright ignored me.

So really, it's Edelbrock or bust for me.

If you meant the non-CARB super kit from Edelbrock, I imagine it's in the $6k range. I didn't ask them the price of the non-CA kit, but their JK kit for non-CA use is around that price range. Then you'll need a tune, which ranges from $400-1200 generally, depending on the tuner.

I'd just wait for the Edelbrock kit with tune. 3 years/36k mile warranty is nice.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
Stock engine is 11.3:1 compression and thats pretty high for FI and would limit how much boost can be run. Edelbrock is a reputable company and will play it conservative. That's still 25% power gain which is nothing to sneeze at on a NA engine.
Yea if static CR is really that high theres not much room for boost at all... 85 horse is nothing. You’d be better served just removing weight...

ScubaSigGuy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JlUR, 2018 Raptor, 2018 GT350R, 2015 BMW 1200GS Adventure
Yea if static CR is really that high theres not much room for boost at all... 85 horse is nothing. You’d be better served just removing weight...
If my math is correct, you would have to drop more than 1,000 lbs (from 4485lbs to 3455lbs) from a stock JLUR to equal the same approximate change in power to weight ratio as adding 85HP. I'm sure that's oversimplifying things slightly, but not by much.

Most people are adding weight by modifying their Jeep, and even if the increase was just enough to compensate for the added weight it would be worth it for me, however the math shows that it will do more than compensate for the weight gain.

Adding 85HP is nothing to sneeze at for a Jeep. Wranglers aren't made to be race cars, and I would think that modest increase would keep the drivetrain reliable for years to come.

OP
OP
Hydroboy35th

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I have to politely disagree. An 85HP gain is definitely noticeable, that’s almost 1/3 of the stock horsepower. And while I’ll agree that weight is the enemy especially in the race car world I have removed my backseat & spare tire (and I have a 2dr) I don’t feel like it made a huge difference in fact it made the ride a lot stiffer because I’m light/empty.

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
If my math is correct, you would have to drop more than 1,000 lbs (from 4485lbs to 3455lbs) from a stock JLUR to equal the same approximate change in power to weight ratio as adding 85HP. I'm sure that's oversimplifying things slightly, but not by much.

Most people are adding weight by modifying their Jeep, and even if the increase was just enough to compensate for the added weight it would be worth it for me, however the math shows that it will do more than compensate for the weight gain.

Adding 85HP is nothing to sneeze at for a Jeep. Wranglers aren't made to be race cars, and I would think that modest increase would keep the drivetrain reliable for years to come.
Lol yr arguing that 5-8 k for 85 horse is a good play... how about that math?

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
I have to politely disagree. An 85HP gain is definitely noticeable, that’s almost 1/3 of the stock horsepower. And while I’ll agree that weight is the enemy especially in the race car world I have removed my backseat & spare tire (and I have a 2dr) I don’t feel like it made a huge difference in fact it made the ride a lot stiffer because I’m light/empty.
once again the statement i made is completely mis taken on here. Yr talking about company's who are marketing a 5 thousand dollar upgrade that boosts an engine thats already at 11.3 :1 CR. If you think 85 horsepower is good then ok buy it. But anyone who comes from that world would look at that and scratch their head.

Sponsored

ScubaSigGuy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JlUR, 2018 Raptor, 2018 GT350R, 2015 BMW 1200GS Adventure
Lol yr arguing that 5-8 k for 85 horse is a good play... how about that math?

Actually I’m not arguing anything, I just pointed out the error in your statement about being better off cutting weight. Since when has making sense of the money spent been a major part of Jeep ownership? I could make your same statement about an endless number of much less useful (in my opinion) upgrades. You spend your money the way you want to and I won’t judge you. Try it sometime!

OP
OP
Hydroboy35th

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Peak power means next to nothing in a Jeep used on the trail. What would be really nice is a 50 lb/ft boost between 1 and 2,000 rpm for those of us with a manual transmission
This is a roots style blower so power will come on sooner than later in the RPM range. Have you tried a set of gears? I re-geared my manual with 4.88’s (35in tires) and I love it.

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
Actually I’m not arguing anything, I just pointed out the error in your statement about being better off cutting weight. Since when has making sense of the money spent been a major part of Jeep ownership? I could make your same statement about an endless number of much less useful (in my opinion) upgrades. You spend your money the way you want to and I won’t judge you. Try it sometime!
Its not about judging at all. Its common sense from an engineering stand point. And you picked a little factoid out of what i said with weight and over shot it. In the racing community is quite common to favor aero and removing weight over increasing engine size weight boost and stress etc. starting to sound like you work for one of these companies. I’d rather put 5.13’s in than get 85 horse from $8,000.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
This is a roots style blower so power will come on sooner than later in the RPM range. Have you tried a set of gears? I re-geared my manual with 4.88’s (35in tires) and I love it.
I've considered running 5.13s. I'm on 37s on the stock 4.10 gears and it's very nice on the street. However, it certainly struggled to maintain speed on steep climbs and it's not the easiest motor to rush a downshift with
Sponsored