NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I used that on an old VW Bug that I had in my younger days. It was useful to get the vehicle out of the way if it vapor locked also.
Just tried that in my JL and it kept telling me to press the clutch. I tried it in 2H and 4L.

This looks like a capability that the stupid push-button start/stop has taken away from us. From what I've heard, it was a feature that was sometimes used by people to restart their vehicles while off-roading on steep terrain.
Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I personally don’t want the remote start but it’s not a big deal in a manual transmission. I had BMW with the system and it would only start if left in neutral. And you would only use it with your car in the garage or your own driveway or the parking lot at work. If any of them were not flat, I wouldn’t leave the car in neutral. The way that one worked was interesting, you had to press the button in the fob BEFORE you left the car, with the engine running and the car in neutral parking brake engaged. Then you would turn car off, leave and lock. Then, and only if you had done the previous sequence, you could remote start the car. If for any reason, for example you unlock the door remotely, the auto start was disabled. No issues ever.

rob28

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2dr Willys. 2021.
T
I personally don’t want the remote start but it’s not a big deal in a manual transmission. I had BMW with the system and it would only start if left in neutral. And you would only use it with your car in the garage or your own driveway or the parking lot at work. If any of them were not flat, I wouldn’t leave the car in neutral. The way that one worked was interesting, you had to press the button in the fob BEFORE you left the car, with the engine running and the car in neutral parking brake engaged. Then you would turn car off, leave and lock. Then, and only if you had done the previous sequence, you could remote start the car. If for any reason, for example you unlock the door remotely, the auto start was disabled. No issues ever.
This is why it’s so frustrating. The engineering know how is there to make this safe and fool proof but it seems they couldn’t be arsed to bother making it work on the manual.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I too would like remote start on a manual. Let me know if you guys figure something out. Also very disappointed to know it won't start without the clutch in. As NavyVet mentioned I have used this restart my Jeep while off-roading on steep terrain. (also when my clutch went out and I wanted to get it to the shop without a tow).

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I too would like remote start on a manual. Let me know if you guys figure something out. Also very disappointed to know it won't start without the clutch in. As NavyVet mentioned I have used this restart my Jeep while off-roading on steep terrain. (also when my clutch went out and I wanted to get it to the shop without a tow).
Agree. My FJ Cruiser has a switch to bypass the need to push the clutch. I may try to use one of the auxiliary switches to do just that.

Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Viper's system will allow remote start on a manual transmission. There is a "process" you have to go through before it will actually engage, and it will work from quite a distance away. If you've changed your mind and wish to have an aftermarket product, see if you have a Viper authorized installer in your area. Definitely worth a look. Happy Hunting!

https://www.viper.com/car/remotestart/product/4806v/viper-led-2-way-remote-start-system

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
T

This is why it’s so frustrating. The engineering know how is there to make this safe and fool proof but it seems they couldn’t be arsed to bother making it work on the manual.
I imagine it has much less to do with engineering than it does legal liability. I'm guessing the legal eagles and the bean counters in whatever Jeep calls their risk management department would throw cold water on this, hard.

MoparTH

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray Rubicon Unlimited
I've always used the Fortin remote start modules and will probably install one on my JL at some point. The JL manuals should be a safer install because of the ESS system, the Aisin transmission definitely has a neutral safety switch built in for the ESS, which the remote start could be tied into.

the_webers_inc

First Name
T. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 6spd, 2011 Subaru Forester X Premium 5spd
Viper's system will allow remote start on a manual transmission. There is a "process" you have to go through before it will actually engage, and it will work from quite a distance away. If you've changed your mind and wish to have an aftermarket product, see if you have a Viper authorized installer in your area. Definitely worth a look. Happy Hunting!

https://www.viper.com/car/remotestart/product/4806v/viper-led-2-way-remote-start-system
I had the Viper 4806v on my Subaru Legacy 5spd & will most likely add one to the Jeep at some point. Great system & not hard to get used to "arming" it.

Sir Harriet

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ Wrangler, 2018 JL Sahara 4 Door
These are my thoughts too. I know it's a bit scary hence why they are rarely offered, but I would love the added convenience even if I have to be extra vigilant about leaving the car in neutral to take full advantage of the cold weather package.

Hi there, I lived in Nunavut and had a manual jeep liberty with a remote start. It had a sequencing that you had to do when you turned it off at night, including having it in neutral with e brake engaged. Never had any problems with it in 5 years I had it. It IS doable, which is why when I bought my new JL, I went for a manual with no worries for getting a remote...only to be told that they have not made any yet that are compatible...had our first frost today ( now in Yukon) and ...gasp...had to go outside and start it myself. Now waiting for dealership to open up so can call and harass them to source me one asap!

Sponsored

CRZYCDN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL XR Unlimited
Last edited:

irayspot

First Name
Ray