Sponsored

Help deciding on 2 door or 4 door Rubicon

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
While the 4D is certainly capable off-road, I still feel the best flexibility in most situations is to be found in the 2D.

If most of your driving is going to be on-road, the 4D has much better road manners and is much less bouncy than the 2D.

Ultimately it depends upon your use case, but should I get another Wrangler someday it will be a 2D.
Sponsored

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
For the life of me I can't figure out what makes a two door more "fun" than a four door. Since a four door can get to 95% of the places a two door can while hauling triple the cargo I can only assume the lack of storage space and more bouncy unstable ride at highway speeds are the "fun" part.

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
For the life of me I can't figure out what makes a two door more "fun" than a four door.
it’s a two door thing. You wouldn’t understand.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
For the life of me I can't figure out what makes a two door more "fun" than a four door.
For me it’s that the 4D is huge and less maneuverable.

That may be an issue off-road and has consequences in real life too. For example, my FJ barely fits in my garage; the additional length of a 4D means it would not and I would need to keep it outside.

Pogoda

First Name
Rob & Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins; 2001 Ram 2500 5.9 diesel
Similar dilemma, except trying to decide between 2 door Rubi and Gladiator Rubi. We have a truck (Ram) for towing and hauling. We hunt and spend a lot of time in mts camping. 2 door would help us to get inbto places we can't get into too well with full size truck. BUT if we go with Gladiator we could still haul small camp trailer and get benefit of shorter wheelbase than truck, and Rubi benefits. Thoughts?

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Similar dilemma, except trying to decide between 2 door Rubi and Gladiator Rubi. We have a truck (Ram) for towing and hauling. We hunt and spend a lot of time in mts camping. 2 door would help us to get inbto places we can't get into too well with full size truck. BUT if we go with Gladiator we could still haul small camp trailer and get benefit of shorter wheelbase than truck, and Rubi benefits. Thoughts?
Isn't the RAM only 10" longer than the Gladiator? If that's the case, keep the RAM and get the 2 door. Or, just get the 2 door AND the Gladiator:like:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve owned several Rubicons and Saharas, in 2 and 4 doors: my favorites were the 2-door Rubicons for the trail, and the 4-door Saharas for winter driving.

When I was shopping for a JL this time around, I was looking at either a 2-door Rubicon or a 4-door Sahara. I ended up going with the 4-door Sahara mostly because my other vehicle is a Fiat 124 Spider roadster, so the Jeep has to fulfill the role of primary household vehicle, including trips to Lowe’s, Home Depot, to the nursery, and ferrying family and guests around.

Only thing I can advise anyone debating between the two is, consider what role will the JL be playing in your household fleet: Will it be the primary vehicle? Will it be a secondary vehicle? Will it be a third vehicle? The further down the line, the more you can move away from a 4-door and into a 2-door.

Hope this helps.

Pogoda

First Name
Rob & Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins; 2001 Ram 2500 5.9 diesel
You nailed the problem. I want BOTH. Thinking 2 door now and in a few years the Glad.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
All Wranglers have an incredibly high 'cool factor' and both 2/4 door models are quite capable off road, but for me it was always just two doors...Hardest thing was choosing the color, Bikini. (Wanted Hydro Blue but not yet available on JL's) The '2 vs 4 door' decision might have been much harder if the JL was to be my daily driver, however I have a Ram Longhorn for this-love that truck! So, my JLR (when she arrives) will be my '4xFUN' rig!

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Long time lurker here, but now ready to get a new JL Rubicon, my only dilemma now is that I cannot decide between a 2 door or 4 door. Currently I have a JK Unlimited and like all the room and being able to throw stuff in the back easily and some times carrying extra people and gear too. I had a 2001 TJ which I loved, but not a lot of cargo room. I won’t be hauling the family all the time (we have a Grand Cherokee for the family vehicle). I just don’t want to regret getting a 2 door instead of a 4 door. Has anyone here bought the 2 door but wished they opted for the 4 door?
The way I read this means you will be a happy with the 2d . I've got the 2 door and I have absolutely no regrets .Mind you I do not have kids or dogs. And by the way if Steve McQueen would be riding in a Jeep you can bet your bottom dollar it would be a 2door with the soft top .

Sponsored

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
DSC_3615.jpeg
DSC_3587.jpeg
DSC_3581.jpeg
Let me give you my two sense since we do not know more about your needs. Is it a family SUV or is it a you and a buddy or grand kid getting some one on one time Jeeping. You need to figure the stage of life now and then add 5 years of what it will look like down the road. I do have a removable back seat and only use it for the third or forth person... Dog and go with seat or not.

In my 30's I would take my TJ with no top and put all the 6 neighborhood kids and go Jeeping (pre seatbelts). But in my current stage of life I do a lot of one on one time with buddies or kids (grand kids).

So to all say to yourself, How do I want to use this Jeep for others as I get my joy in using it to help others make a memory.

Just go and enjoy Jeeping.

Last edited:

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is an old thread but it was resurrected so here you go:

Four door:

+more room for stuff and people
+more stability, both on the highway and in certain situations off-road (steep inclines/declines)
+larger aftermarket support
+can tow more
-less maneuverable
-harder to park, though still very easy compared to many other vehicles
-slightly worse gas mileage
-more doors to take off and store
-heavier
-slightly slower
-worse breakover angle
-more common; less exclusivity
-more expensive equivalent parts on the aftermarket, generally speaking (like if you wanted to get half doors, you’d have to buy twice as many)

I never need to carry 3 or more people around and I never run out of room for stuff, so #1 isn’t a concern for me. I find the 2-door’s stability perfectly fine, so #2 also isn’t a concern for me. And I don’t need the most massive selection of stuff to choose from on the aftermarket, so #3 isn’t a concern for me. So I got a 2-door. Haven’t had the back seat in the jeep since day 1.

Edit: forgot it can tow more. But I don’t tow, so there you go.

Edit2: it may help to point out that this is vehicle #2 in my family, consisting of me, my wife and our airedale. Her car is a 4Runner which seats up to 7, can tow more than a JLU, and is better on road trips. So if I need to do any of those things we’ll take her car. Best of both worlds, short of her getting a JLU, but she ain’t down for that.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
The four door is just way too large for me. I’ve made measurements and it wouldn’t even fit in my garage without a lot of rearranging.

Really it’s up to individual preference but it would be hard for me to drive a vehicle that large regularly.
Really?? Your FJ Cruiser length is ONLY a couple of inches different than the length of a 4-door JL!

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Really?? Your FJ Cruiser length is ONLY a couple of inches different than the length of a 4-door JL!
Yes - those extra inches were the difference between fitting in my garage and not.

My FJ fits with about 2" to spare.
Sponsored