MAGIC....Auto Start/Stop Disabled Itself

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
My 18 JLUR six speed has this issue too - regularly features the indicator warning about an error with AUTO Start / STOP.
I bought it used with about 3k miles on it, has featured this error ever since purchase.
The dealer once claimed to have fixed it, early on. But they didn't.
Last time I had it at the dealer and asked them to resolve, they told me that the cause was my cat-back exhaust / CAI. Which seems odd.
It sometimes works fine, other times does not. It has not grown worse or to my knowledge been a precursor to other issues.
I've learned to live with it, though I probably should care more.
Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
they found my Aux battery to be bad I would take it in and get it checked
You're right. I already have this issue on my list for the next service appointment. I am just trying the trickle charger to see if it resolves it temporarily. However, I suspect the aux battery is failing.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Let me make sure I have this straight. You are offering novels of advice on the start-stop system, but forgot to mention that you leave a device plugged in and drawing power 24/7... but then you discovered that if you hook up a trickle charger 24/7, everything is fine.

It could not be more clear that in YOUR case the dash cam is the problem.

Unplug your dash cam for a week and see if your start stop issues go away. If they don’t, you most likely have a bad battery just like the OP.

There is no reason to plug a vehicle into a trickle charger unless you are driving less than 30-60 mins a month.
Hi @flot

• Like I said first, the problem manifested itself before the installation of the dash camera. Had it not, I could certainly see your diagnostics suggestions as sound technique.
  • From what I've researched here many an owner has had similar issues that don't have any items knowingly drawing power from the rig when at rest, with the engine off.
  • Although I didn't mentioned, I did do testing like you suggested, that prevented the dash camera from operating when the rig was at rest and the problem didn't go away.
  • Next time I visit the dealer for another issue or scheduled maintenance I'll definitely have them look at the ESS system.
  • I don't consider this urgent because it is quite possible, even if swapping batteries solves the problem, that my use of a 24/7 dash camera--as you've alluded to-- necessitates the rig be hooked up to a trickle charger for ESS to work as soon as the engine's warmed up.
  • My failure to state the presence of my dash cam up front, an oversight, is also IMHO largely irrelevant because I wasn't trying to solve my issues so much as the presumptively dash camera-less OP's.
  • While there may be no reason to plug into a trickle charger for the normal user with no gear drawing power with the engine off, I've read here several people talking of the advantage of keeping the batteries topped off for maximum life. I don't know how true this is. Thoughts?

=-=-=-=-=-=

That said, do you or anyone out there know what voltage thresholds are required (assuming that's even the thing being tested) on either or both batteries for ESS to engage when all else that prevents it from doing so (like a cold engine, wheel turned, etc.) are not at issue?

I ask because I'm able to adjust at what voltage my dash camera shuts off when recording with the rig off.

Thanks.

snowtx1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
My Jeep was in the shop for 3 weeks to have this fixed. They finally replaced the aux battery and a module (I think). They had to get FCA involved as well. This was my 2nd repair, we'll see how long it lasts.

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Mine does this every so often, but the error goes away when I shut down and restart (like when I park, turn off the vehicle, and restart engine). Has done it several times. I'm to lazy to take it in for this, but probably will when I have them reflash my vehicle for an auxillary switch panel.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Mine does this every so often, but the error goes away when I shut down and restart (like when I park, turn off the vehicle, and restart engine). Has done it several times. I'm to lazy to take it in for this, but probably will when I have them reflash my vehicle for an auxillary switch panel.
Matt.

Before I put my rig on a trickle charger, many times my ESS system wouldn't engage, claiming the supplemental battery lacked adequate voltage.

But yesterday, for the first time I got a diagnostic light on the dash whose icon was the letter A (as in autostart)--just like the button to disengage ESS-- but with a slash through the icon.

I too had this problem disappear the next time I cold cranked the JL.

Is this the error you describe?

Thanks.

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Matt.

Before I put my rig on a trickle charger, many times my ESS system wouldn't engage, claiming the supplemental battery lacked adequate voltage.

But yesterday, for the first time I got a diagnostic light on the dash whose icon was the letter A (as in autostart)--just like the button to disengage ESS-- but with a slash through the icon.

I too had this problem disappear the next time I cold cranked the JL.

Is this the error you describe?

Thanks.
I have 2500 miles on mine. It started after my first long road trip. When I got back to town after three or four traffic signals it started back up without me taking the foot off the brake and gave me the error message I think it just says auto start stop unavailable, service needed. Something to that effect then a yellow or orange A! With the circle arrow around it appears. That all seems to reset after a shut down and restart. Then it happens every now and then but usually after driving more than 10 minutes and after several normal operation .

In a way, I was kind of hoping it would never work again. But then again knowing I have a feature that has an issue concerns me down the road. I have heard from some others that this is just a software update that needs done. I guess I will find out next time I take it in

thejill

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
This happened to me randomly a few weeks ago. I arrived at my destination, shut off the Jeep etc. When I went to leave, I fully expected the same message/error to appear, but it didn't. It hasn't come back since.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I have 2500 miles on mine. It started after my first long road trip. When I got back to town after three or four traffic signals it started back up without me taking the foot off the brake and gave me the error message I think it just says auto start stop unavailable, service needed. Something to that effect then a yellow or orange A! With the circle arrow around it appears. That all seems to reset after a shut down and restart. Then it happens every now and then but usually after driving more than 10 minutes and after several normal operation .

In a way, I was kind of hoping it would never work again. But then again knowing I have a feature that has an issue concerns me down the road. I have heard from some others that this is just a software update that needs done. I guess I will find out next time I take it in
My friend you may not like ESS and that is perfectly cool with me. But regardless you do want a working ESS/supplemental battery---at least on the 3.6L (I don't know the workings of the other JL engines yet.)

That supplemental battery MUST have power for the rig to even attempt a cold crank--even though that cold crank is energized by both batteries in parallel. To rephrase this, your main battery could have more than enough power to cold crank the rig (cold crank means not an crank after an ESS event) but if the ESS/supplemental battery's conked out, so is your rig.

There is a workaround to connect both batteries in parallel all the time so that the ESS supplemental battery isn't examined in isolation come crank time. Let me know if you want it. I'll see if I can find it.

Moral: you want ESS not engaging by your choice: because you disengaged it, NOT because your ESS battery is failing you.

: - )

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
My friend you may not like ESS and that is perfectly cool with me. But regardless you do want a working ESS/supplemental battery---at least on the 3.6L (I don't know the workings of the other JL engines yet.)

Yea , I doubt it's the battery, but I guess we will see. It happens very randomly

That supplemental battery MUST have power for the rig to even attempt a cold crank--even though that cold crank is energized by both batteries in parallel. To rephrase this, your main battery could have more than enough power to cold crank the rig (cold crank means not an crank after an ESS event) but if the ESS/supplemental battery's conked out, so is your rig.

There is a workaround to connect both batteries in parallel all the time so that the ESS supplemental battery isn't examined in isolation come crank time. Let me know if you want it. I'll see if I can find it.

Moral: you want ESS not engaging by your choice: because you disengaged it, NOT because your ESS battery is failing you.

: - )
Sponsored