If the new JL is too pricey

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
The more videos and info I watch and read about on the JL, the more it justifies the price increase. For those saying that FCA is just greedy or complaining why the JL is more than the JK are simply naive.

Granted some features like the proximity keyless entry or the head liners should be standard (ok, destination fee does suck...lol) but there are allot of upgrades inside and out to warrant the bump in price.
Sponsored

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
One article I read on that Roxor said it will start at $15.5k and can double with options.

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
A modest increase in a technologically advanced and more capable Jeep? Along with inflation and a vehicle that has one of the top resale value? Don’t get me wrong, a price bump is always a b!tch. But when you look at what you’re getting incoming vs outgoing, you can see why they’re bumping it. You’re not going to get a JL for JK money. The JK was ancient.
That exactly !
The JK is pretty much ancient when you look at the interior. The JK is the one that was overpriced for what it was offering at the time, and yet no one complains or complained... Optionnal airbags ?!
So they used that price as their base since it sold so well, added lots of features to make it a vehicle that belongs to its era, a better onroad AND offroad vehicle, adjusted the price, and this is where we’re at now.
And as long as when we went to check Wranglers out 2 years ago with my obsessed about wranglers wife, I felt like I was being robbed paying 40K (Canadian) for a JKUS, I feel that in today’s market, the 50K (discounted) I’m paying for the JLUS is more justified.
The JL is expensive because the base they started with (JK price) was very expensive; but in all logic why wouldn’t they make a newer, better vehicle, launched 10 years later, more expensive ?!

automaton

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
I was looking into buying an old CJ for $1200 and completely rebuilding it with new, high quality components. Thought it would bee a fun father-son project. Crate motor, new 6 speed manual tranny, Atlas t-case, Dynatrac axles, drive lines, 4 link suspension, disc brakes, upolstry, paint, gauges, all the nickel and dime stuff....

Can't do it under $50k, and it wouln't be as good on the street as a JL.
I have to agree. I priced out a JK specced to what I wanted, and modified with higher fenders, mild lift, some bigger tires, and some other convenience and capability mods, and It was going to be as much or more than the JL Rubicon we ended up buying, while losing the warranty (probably) and driving much worse on the road (definitely), which I have to admit is where nearly every Jeep (certainly mine) spends 99.9% of it's miles.

The JL represented a very significant boost in all the areas that counted in my estimation. Most vehicles add $1000-2000 at each new generation while staying roughly the same grade of machine. I see a big step up in quality, all around, on the JL, so I don't think the price hike is the big deal that people like to pitch it as.

Additionally, with the wife as the secondary driver, I have to walk a fine line between convenience/comfort and capability/coolness, lol.

Sponsored

Snerf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Interesting thread, but essentially moot. This board exists to deliver space monkey eyeballs to sponsors & advertisers. JL owners (in possession and/or firm order) are their target audience since they're the only ones in position to purchase an actual JL after-market product and/or service. They care about non-owners only to the extent that they are (serious) potential buyers or (enthusiastic) aspirants. Along with actual owners, these kinds of non-owners may provide sufficient 'network exposure' to reach secondary markets.

However, what the board owner/administrator/moderator(s), sponsors & advertisers definitely do not want are non-owner complainers and trolls. This type of social media cancer has a two-fold effect:

1. It drives conversations away from positive, open dialogue about interests, uses, desires & upgrades that lead to potential after-market sales.

2. It substitutes those threads with ones such as this where actual JL owners are mocked, disparaged, criticized or otherwise treated with disdain. (For example, they are "not core".) The end result, of course, being that actual JL owners stop visiting and go somewhere else to share their passion and interests.

My prediction: future threads along the lines of complaints about pricing, etc from non-owners will be locked, removed and the OPs warned/banned.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Interesting thread, but essentially moot. This board exists to deliver space monkey eyeballs to sponsors & advertisers. JL owners (in possession and/or firm order) are their target audience since they're the only ones in position to purchase an actual JL after-market product and/or service. They care about non-owners only to the extent that they are (serious) potential buyers or (enthusiastic) aspirants. Along with actual owners, these kinds of non-owners may provide sufficient 'network exposure' to reach secondary markets.

However, what the board owner/administrator/moderator(s), sponsors & advertisers definitely do not want are non-owner complainers and trolls. This type of social media cancer has a two-fold effect:

1. It drives conversations away from positive, open dialogue about interests, uses, desires & upgrades that lead to potential after-market sales.

2. It substitutes those threads with ones such as this where actual JL owners are mocked, disparaged, criticized or otherwise treated with disdain. (For example, they are "not core".) The end result, of course, being that actual JL owners stop visiting and go somewhere else to share their passion and interests.

My prediction: future threads along the lines of complaints about pricing, etc from non-owners will be locked, removed and the OPs warned/banned.
Sounds more like you are trying to lay out a case (built on some questionable hyperbole and mischaracterization) for admin to ban forum members who discuss something you do not care to have discussed. Clearly the only two topics admin should ban on this site, are discussion of touch screen bezel size, and color of tow hooks. ;)

rodhotter

First Name
bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 chevy colorado 2001 audi TT 225Q
jeeps were overpriced IMO before + are even worse now!! i like many have to buy preowned, driving off the lot a new ride looses thousands in a few weeks!!!!

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
i am not really sure if they are overpriced. I wonder how much profit is in a vehicle anyway? I read somewhere that the first 3k of a vehicles price was cost for the employees who built it. I don't know how true that is because of automation. Anyway, I think that the amount of profit is less than we think it is.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
A modest increase in a technologically advanced and more capable Jeep? Along with inflation and a vehicle that has one of the top resale value? Don’t get me wrong, a price bump is always a b!tch. But when you look at what you’re getting incoming vs outgoing, you can see why they’re bumping it. You’re not going to get a JL for JK money. The JK was ancient.

Plus one has to wonder if or how much in CAFE and EPA penalties are built into the price tag for it's poor fuel economy or amount of exhaust emissions it puts out. While a Wrangler technically stands on it's own, there are plenty of SUV's in the same size category that beat it out for fuel economy and emissions.

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Plus one has to wonder if or how much in CAFE and EPA penalties are built into the price tag for it's poor fuel economy or amount of exhaust emissions it puts out. While a Wrangler technically stands on it's own, there are plenty of SUV's in the same size category that beat it out for fuel economy and emissions.
That would be an interesting one to know. With how brutal CAFE standards are for any manufacturer not exclusively building economy cars, I wouldn't be surprised if they have to constantly keep stepping up their game throughout the JL's lifespan.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pentastar is not offered by 2020, or a full hybrid or even full electric Wrangler hitting the scene by 2022.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
That would be an interesting one to know. With how brutal CAFE standards are for any manufacturer not exclusively building economy cars, I wouldn't be surprised if they have to constantly keep stepping up their game throughout the JL's lifespan.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pentastar is not offered by 2020, or a full hybrid or even full electric Wrangler hitting the scene by 2022.
They already announced a full hybrid for 2020.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.

Thanks for your opinion.

That's the great thing about America.

Everyone gets to have an opinion.

Thanks for playing.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They already announced a full hybrid for 2020.
If we're honest, it's here now, but I would wager it'll be a mere couple of years until you can no longer get a manual transmission Jeep Wrangler.

I think I'm gonna have some pride and duty to keep a stripped down one going. I'll try to never ever get the urge to sell lol.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i am not really sure if they are overpriced. I wonder how much profit is in a vehicle anyway? I read somewhere that the first 3k of a vehicles price was cost for the employees who built it. I don't know how true that is because of automation. Anyway, I think that the amount of profit is less than we think it is.
The Wrangler has a very high profit margin. It's the cash cow, golden goose for FCA. Demand is high, keeping prices high, and profit high.
Sponsored