Sponsored

Is there truth to this?

DrDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Beetle 2003, Sahara 4 door Silver 2020
https://suzukigrandvitara.com/should-you-warm-up-your-car-when-its-cold/

Hey Jeepers is there truth to this article? Cold weather starting? I have a 2003 VW Beetle as well and was told when purchased-put the keys in wait 2-5 minutes and go, which I’ve done in cold weather. Just a few months ago I changed out the factory installed spark plugs-mechanic was amazed they were still original- but I digress...I’m not mechanical in ANY way, so don’t even know if the plugs have to do with it. Anywho...what do all sages say about the Jeep and cold, northeast winters? Thanks in advance
Sponsored

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
https://suzukigrandvitara.com/should-you-warm-up-your-car-when-its-cold/

Hey Jeepers is there truth to this article? Cold weather starting? I have a 2003 VW Beetle as well and was told when purchased-put the keys in wait 2-5 minutes and go, which I’ve done in cold weather. Just a few months ago I changed out the factory installed spark plugs-mechanic was amazed they were still original- but I digress...I’m not mechanical in ANY way, so don’t even know if the plugs have to do with it. Anywho...what do all sages say about the Jeep and cold, northeast winters? Thanks in advance
Ok, I can see the argument of that article. BUT, with DI the fuel timing is so precise that fuel can be injected so that it doesn't "wash away" oil on the cylinder walls. And furthermore, many modern engine have piston oil nozzles to cool and lube pistons which some of that oil undoubtedly gets on the cylinder walls.

IMO I believe its a bigger issue to environmentalists than it is to an engines overall longevity.

I am not trying to debate one way or the other. When its real cold, 0* or less, I idle my vehicles for at least 5 min whether its good for them or not I dont care, I want my seats warmed. Most other times I do not idle because gas isn't free.

Germansheperd

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2019 HD FLHXS, 2018 Taurus, 2008 Mustang GT, 1994 Z28
Its never a bad idea to let any vehicle idle a couple minutes in the cold before taking off.

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Grew up in Canada, I've seen it down to -42F. I could idle my 1992 Saturn SL2 for an hour and it still wouldn't warm up the cab, as there wasn't enough heat being generated.

I always started the engine, took the time to remove snow or ice, adjusted things, and got on the road and drove moderately until the engine was at operating temperature. It warms up the engine quicker with a load versus no load. I've never destroyed an engine, ever (my ex-g/f, that's another story :D )

JP18

Sponsored

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
Idling the Jeep to "warm up the engine" is bad advice. At idle, it will take longer to bring the engine up to operating temperature than it would by driving it at 2000-3000 rpm. So by idling the engine in the cold, all your doing is letting it run colder, longer. And its operating a cold engine that is the most detrimental.

Germansheperd

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2019 HD FLHXS, 2018 Taurus, 2008 Mustang GT, 1994 Z28
Nope, never. Why are Democrats against fossil fuels when their children (Kerry, Pelosi, Biden) all work for Ukrainian gas and oil companies?- Kinda along those lines.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Start engine, maybe let idle for 30 seconds to ensure oil is flowing well, then go. MOST importantly, take it easy on the skinny pedal until the oil is up to temp, about 180 degrees. Don't fire it up after a night if 0 degrees and immediately go for your best quarter mile time!

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Nope, never. Why are Democrats against fossil fuels when their children (Kerry, Pelosi, Biden) all work for Ukrainian gas and oil companies?- Kinda along those lines.
Way to make it political. /s

Sponsored

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I would say from start to D is usually under 20 seconds. If it’s well below zero I will allow for about a minute of warm up, but that’s mostly for butt warmers more than worrying about an engine.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I live in eastern Canada where it gets cold and humid...i usually let it idle until i can see through the windshield, then i go. So a couple of minutes, i guess

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Once I started owning cars that were fuel-injected I did not warm them up very long. As mentioned before, an engine under load gets up to operating temperature faster, so best practice is to start the vehicle, use the defrosters to help clear the windows if there's frost on them, and get rolling at moderate speeds with easy throttle inputs until it's up to operating temperature.
Sponsored