Will there ever be a 5-6 piece hardtop?

These_go211

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door Wrangler JL
Just wondering what you all think about this. I currently own (and love) my 2 door JL soft top. I live in San Diego so the top is off a lot. But I do love the functionality of easy on and off. What has put me off getting a hard top is that I would either need to get a winch system to help get the top off and then it would be hanging from my garage when not in use, or, I’d need to get another adult (as my wife would not be a help with this) to help me take the top off and then would need help to get it back on. In the future, It seems like it would be a very cool hard top design to have the normal 2 piece setup over the front seats, then have a 2 piece top over the back seats, then maybe 2 side pieces and then a back piece. Very modular and one person could then easily take on/off the pieces, and storage would be much easier. I’m envious of the Gladiator owners who look like they have this type of setup. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
My first Jeep was a hard top, it was for a 2 door. I only got it because I was worried about safety. I took it off just once because it was such a pain. It’s so heavy and you have to have a place to store it. It was also really loud. Told myself I’d never get a hard top again.

This time I got the premium sunrider soft top for another 2 door. I love it! Windows are so easy to take on and off and It’s quieter. Not gonna worry about safety of a soft top anymore just gonna enjoy life and ride around with the top down or safari mode all day. BUT if it came in several easy to remove pieces then maybe.

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Where do we have proof that the Bronco will have a removable top? All I've seen are guesses and "we think".

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
Where do we have proof that the Bronco will have a removable top? All I've seen are guesses and "we think".
Proof is hard to come by. Ford takes data security very seriously. I work for a supplier of automotive interiors, I only ever see the parts we make, and nothing else for any given vehicle. And even at that, everything is confidential. Compartmentalization: No one can spill all the secrets if no one has them all.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I was part of a Jeep Wrangler focus group last night. About three hours long with Jeep manufactor employees and they wanted to know about how to make the hard top and soft top better. A modular hard top was discussed at length. The biggest complaint about the hard top from all of us owners was that it took multiple people to take it off and then of course where to store it. It was talked that if the side and rear windows came off like they do on the one touch and then it was just the top piece, it could be easiely placed up against a wall out of the way.

The soft top was got alot of love. The though of making the top of it clear like a panoramic roof was kind of cool.

Sponsored

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Ford has confirmed that the Bronco will have a removable top and doors. Furthermore, they have confirmed that there will be a storage system built into the rear for the doors. I really hope this is a feature Jeep is watching, and finds a way to incorporate in future models.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I was part of a Jeep Wrangler focus group last night. About three hours long with Jeep manufactor employees and they wanted to know about how to make the hard top and soft top better. A modular hard top was discussed at length. The biggest complaint about the hard top from all of us owners was that it took multiple people to take it off and then of course where to store it. It was talked that if the side and rear windows came off like they do on the one touch and then it was just the top piece, it could be easiely placed up against a wall out of the way.

The soft top was got alot of love. The though of making the top of it clear like a panoramic roof was kind of cool.
Hmm, the clear top would be kinda cool. But my first thought is all the scratches:( Still, a really cool idea:like:

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Ford has confirmed that the Bronco will have a removable top and doors. Furthermore, they have confirmed that there will be a storage system built into the rear for the doors. I really hope this is a feature Jeep is watching, and finds a way to incorporate in future models.
Hmm, that would be interesting. But I'm a "I'll believe it when I see it" kind of person. Remember those donut doors at the JL reveal? Come on Jeep! We need those and the half doors again:like:

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I think the winch idea is not conversed enough. I had the same issues- not enough adult help, didn’t think I could store it, etc. I finally just said F it and got the Racor lift. Took an hour to install and it has been a god send. 5 minutes to take the top off, stores right on it, and I use the top to put stuff like folding chairs and such. I have a smaller garage and it still works. Sometimes the thought is worse than the solution.

B25CE014-22F9-4E25-ACFA-6D5C8E840E0D.jpeg

26122C2C-05FB-45A1-8994-AA7A28BBCCD6.jpeg

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2006 LJ, 2006 Wrangler Pickup
These photos show a factory JK 2dr hardtop converted to modular. The sides, rear and roof are all separate parts. This was a DIY conversion, and the same thing could be done with a factory JL hardtop.

ModularTopSlider_zpsytscfp6r.jpg

The parts off the Jeep:

StoringModularTop_zpsbqiahyqt.jpg

Most of the parts store easily, here's the rear panel with liftgate under a single bed.

RearPanelUnderSingleBed_zpsgwy9nmdp.jpg

Roll-up soft sides can be installed in place of the hard sides, they're shown here rolled up:

SoftSidesDoneRolledUp_zpsviozqcdb.jpg

Step-by-step instructions for the conversion are here: https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...g-a-factory-jk-jku-hardtop-to-modular.160775/
Sponsored