Sponsored

K&N filters (and other brands of the same type of filter)

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
I've been using a K&N filter on my cars for a long time, so I don't drive a lot of kilometers a year.

But I just read it, I share it here, https://moto.lexp.net/mw/index.php?title=ISO_5011_Duramax_Air_Filter_Test_Report&setlang=en

and I will immediately remove my (brand new) K&N and replace my original filter.

The K&N is the worst (or any other filter of this type), it lets a lot of dust pass through compared to a simple original filter.

Basically the K&N (or any other filter of this type) lets MORE air pass through yes, because it filters nothing (and in addition it clogs much faster also in case of dust)

On the K&N website they explain that they do a lot of tests, but do not show the results!

It's hard reality ?

ADD ...I also read a comment in a French forum (but without a link made available to the information source of a K&N video) where it seems that "K&N" explain that their filters are not good in tests (test benches), but that with the vibrations of an engine, they really filter!

What to think ?
Sponsored

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
I like S&B and AFE better than K&N. I also prefer a cleanable dry filter.

OP
OP
SwissSteph

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for your message. But what about the very poor filtration and the very poor resistance to clogging of this type of filter (type "K&N or others)

Where to find "dry" filters ?

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AFE Power makes a good dry filter. As far as clogging goes, they won't clog any worse or faster than a paper filter. The air passages in K&N allow too much particulate through for my liking. Another reason why I like a dry filter is that the weave is usually tighter as they don't rely on oils as part of the filter media. Now, don't get one and hope for a performance gain. Get one because it is reusable. It will pay for itself after two cleanings. To clean, I just use a 10:1 dilution of simple green and let it soak for about 10-15 minutes, then use tap water from the sink to rinse it out.

SKU# 31-10280

https://afepower.com/afe-power-31-10280-magnum-flow-pro-dry-s-air-filter

OP
OP
SwissSteph

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the link :like:

....I have placed my order

Sponsored

OP
OP
SwissSteph

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for your comments and help, I look forward to receiving my order from my AFE filter.

Thank you, Jeff for the link, I should receive my filter quickly even if I'm in Europe (I set the price for that).

@Jeff... my English is not at all good (I translate with Google) and I don't understand your explanation "To clean, I just use a 10:1 dilution of simple green" is it a special product sold by "AFE" or a simple dishwashing product?

Steph

OP
OP
SwissSteph

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
:like:

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for your comments and help, I look forward to receiving my order from my AFE filter.

Thank you, Jeff for the link, I should receive my filter quickly even if I'm in Europe (I set the price for that).

@Jeff... my English is not at all good (I translate with Google) and I don't understand your explanation "To clean, I just use a 10:1 dilution of simple green" is it a special product sold by "AFE" or a simple dishwashing product?

Steph

Simple green.. ;-)

https://simplegreen.com/products/all-purpose-cleaner/

OP
OP
SwissSteph

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the link, I don't know... yet :)

Sponsored

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2020 2.2 Diesel Punk'n RHD
Very disappointing- I’ve read quite a lot good reviews and ordered 2 filters from K&N - for the Jeep and BMW from eBay. Now it looks like I will have to sell them/throw away because if these tests results :((( and I also didn’t pay attention to the fact that one needs oil to clean them - certainly dry reusable filter is more convenient, e.g. the one from AFE ... too bad

OP
OP
SwissSteph

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My only question about the K&Ns is that on a comment I read (in French) it was said that K&N would have made a video explaining that they did not understand why their filters were bad in the "fixed tests" and good in use, their conclusion is that the engine vibrations, make the texture of the filters vibrate and so they would filter very well afterwards.
I don't have a link to this famous K&N video, unfortunately.

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Very disappointing- I’ve read quite a lot good reviews and ordered 2 filters from K&N - for the Jeep and BMW from eBay. Now it looks like I will have to sell them/throw away because if these tests results :((( and I also didn’t pay attention to the fact that one needs oil to clean them - certainly dry reusable filter is more convenient, e.g. the one from AFE ... too bad
You selling your K&N filters? how much shipped to 11229?

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2020 2.2 Diesel Punk'n RHD
You selling your K&N filters? how much shipped to 11229?
Hey Ricky, I reside in Cyprus, not the US. And anyway I have already returned them to the seller - thanks to eBay return policy. Got the AFE filter from Quadratec finally - looks really cool. I would clean it after wheeling in a dusty environment and install OEM filter temporary while AFE is getting dry :)
Sponsored