Sponsored

Rock Krawler 2.5 X-Factor? w/ Fox 2.0 3.5-4”?

suicideTone

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Got my 19 JLU Sport this Summer and pulling the trigger on Black Friday deals. To give you an idea of my weight: Artec Nighthawk bumper on the way and I’ll be adding a winch. I’m getting a rear tire carrier and bumper to fit 315s or 35s on new wheels after the lift. Already have Rock Hard Patriot sliders on. This is my DD but I hit some gnarly back roads on weekends and have gotten stuck plenty in deep snow and mud before this Jeep. Some off road, but no extreme crawling and in Summer, I drive 3 hours each way to go rafting on the other side of the Mountain every weekend.

I’m wanting a 2.5 lift and liking what I hear about the Rock Krawler. I read somewhere to go either Stock Mod or X-factor (all or nothing) to make life simple so as not to have different pieces not fit later upgrades. I don’t see going taller later, but is the X overkill with all the control arms or is the Stock mod plus shocks a good ride? I’ll probably be adding the Fox 2.0 shocks to either but I’ve also read I should buy longer then needed for that kit. Should I leave the shocks out of the kit and buy separate at 3.5-4” instead of the 2-3”? I also read something about shocks being tuned to lift kits but know nothing about lifts. I’ve read a ton the last few days and my head hurts. Thanks for any advice/suggestions.
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Got my 19 JLU Sport this Summer and pulling the trigger on Black Friday deals. To give you an idea of my weight: Artec Nighthawk bumper on the way and I’ll be adding a winch. I’m getting a rear tire carrier and bumper to fit 315s or 35s on new wheels after the lift. Already have Rock Hard Patriot sliders on. This is my DD but I hit some gnarly back roads on weekends and have gotten stuck plenty in deep snow and mud before this Jeep. Some off road, but no extreme crawling and in Summer, I drive 3 hours each way to go rafting on the other side of the Mountain every weekend.

I’m wanting a 2.5 lift and liking what I hear about the Rock Krawler. I read somewhere to go either Stock Mod or X-factor (all or nothing) to make life simple so as not to have different pieces not fit later upgrades. I don’t see going taller later, but is the X overkill with all the control arms or is the Stock mod plus shocks a good ride? I’ll probably be adding the Fox 2.0 shocks to either but I’ve also read I should buy longer then needed for that kit. Should I leave the shocks out of the kit and buy separate at 3.5-4” instead of the 2-3”? I also read something about shocks being tuned to lift kits but know nothing about lifts. I’ve read a ton the last few days and my head hurts. Thanks for any advice/suggestions.
Im running the 3.5” rk xfactor and the Highway ride is awesome. And off road the articulation/flexibility is phenomenal. If you did the 2.5 inch X factor and later wanted to go to 3.5” all you would have to change is the springs. The shocks are used for either kit. IMHO, it’s better to use shocks that are tuned to the springs.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

I'd go with the complete kit as it's all designed to work together and springs and shocks tuned to work together. The RK RRD shocks look really good, so not sure why you'd do Fox over those?

They also have an Adventure series that is not quite as hard-core as the x-factor that might be good for you.

I'd talk to @River City Offroad as they have some deals on right now to save you some $$$.

OP
OP

suicideTone

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
I'd go with the complete kit as it's all designed to work together and springs and shocks tuned to work together. The RK RRD shocks look really good, so not sure why you'd do Fox over those?

They also have an Adventure series that is not quite as hard-core as the x-factor that might be good for you.

I'd talk to @River City Offroad as they have some deals on right now to save you some $$$.
Northridge has a great deal on the package but choice of Fox or Bilstein shocks. I looked at RiverCity earlier but I’ll take another look. Northridge is like $2200 w/ the Fox and Rivercity was a tad under with Bilstein included. Adding shocks negates the “free” ones and I didn’t see the RRDs on their site.

My bad they are there but passes up the free Bilsteins and costs $350 more.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Northridge has a great deal on the package but choice of Fox or Bilstein shocks. I looked at RiverCity earlier but I’ll take another look. Northridge is like $2200 w/ the Fox and Rivercity was a tad under with Bilstein included. Adding shocks negates the “free” ones and I didn’t see the RRDs on their site.

My bad they are there but passes up the free Bilsteins and costs $350 more.
This is the one I'd do if you are not going to do a lot of off roading:

https://www.rivercityoffroad.com/product-p/jl25as1-4s1.htm

Or this one and you are done..... just maybe some steering bits and pieces when the stock ones get sloppy.

https://www.rivercityoffroad.com/product-p/jl25xf-4s1.htm

Sponsored

OP
OP

suicideTone

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
This is the one I'd do if you are not going to do a lot of off roading:

https://www.rivercityoffroad.com/product-p/jl25as1-4s1.htm

Or this one and you are done..... just maybe some steering bits and pieces when the stock ones get sloppy.

https://www.rivercityoffroad.com/product-p/jl25xf-4s1.htm

thanks! I was shopping on my phone and looking at their mobile site and was under "Package Deals". I appreciate the help and now to decide which to get. I'm kind of a "Spend Once" type person so I tend to go big.

OP
OP

suicideTone

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Im running the 3.5” rk xfactor and the Highway ride is awesome. And off road the articulation/flexibility is phenomenal. If you did the 2.5 inch X factor and later wanted to go to 3.5” all you would have to change is the springs. The shocks are used for either kit. IMHO, it’s better to use shocks that are tuned to the springs.
I was looking at a site that was not offering the RRD's, but got set straight. I was tempted to do the 3.5", but then I'd have the front driveshaft too. Then I need 37"s and not 35"s and definitely have to regear that and add brakes. Same old story we all know, but I figured I could limit my potential wallet damage by sticking under 3". Plus shocks and tires at that size will be much more affordable down the line. Good to know I'm only a spring change away from a bigger lift if I do ever decide to go there tho.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The RK RRD 2.5 shocks ride pretty damn nice on and off road. I'm not familiar with the stock mod kit but the x-factor ride is incredible.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking at a site that was not offering the RRD's, but got set straight. I was tempted to do the 3.5", but then I'd have the front driveshaft too. Then I need 37"s and not 35"s and definitely have to regear that and add brakes. Same old story we all know, but I figured I could limit my potential wallet damage by sticking under 3". Plus shocks and tires at that size will be much more affordable down the line. Good to know I'm only a spring change away from a bigger lift if I do ever decide to go there tho.
sounds good..... make sure you get your caster at 6 degrees or a little over for the best handling and ride. It’s a great lift.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I’m pretty sure they use different shocks for the 3.5 from the 2.5.

Sponsored

OP
OP

suicideTone

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
I’m pretty sure they use different shocks for the 3.5 from the 2.5.
I was just looking at the 3.5 kit and it's less than $200 more and comes with bumpstops. The 2.5" didn't so I was adding them so basically they are same price. I was soooo close to buying, but talking myself out of the 3.5" now.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I was just looking at the 3.5 kit and it's less than $200 more and comes with bumpstops. The 2.5" didn't so I was adding them so basically they are same price. I was soooo close to buying, but talking myself out of the 3.5" now.
Honestly with a 3.5" lift you're going to want at least 37" tires. With a sport you'll want to re gear. Hell I want to re gear my Rubicon.

OP
OP

suicideTone

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Honestly with a 3.5" lift you're going to want at least 37" tires. With a sport you'll want to re gear. Hell I want to re gear my Rubicon.
Yeah. I know that’s why I need to stay this side of 3”. Thanks for pushing me back to reality.

OP
OP

suicideTone

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
I got the 2.5" X-Factor and a full set of bumpstops and the Tazer-Lite I'll be needing. Thanks for the suggestions. Looking on RK's site, I see bumpstops suggested for 35's and down lower, 4.5" backspacing recommended on wheels. Is that an either/or suggestion? I've already been looking for wheels that are 4.5" the last few weeks, but thought I'd ask.