Sponsored

Another: What's the best daily driver+light/moderate trail lift thread?

Chaostactics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I've lurked on here quite a bunch an see a ton of debate on the Mopar 2" lift and aare still leaning that way but there seems to be cheaper and maybe better option s? We have a JLU Sport S with the tow package with upgraded axel and some launch edition 33" off a JT otherwise stock.

We're looking for something that won't look ridiculous with our 33"s, give great daily driver ride, and a bit more articulation for some light/moderate trail runs.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I've lurked on here quite a bunch an see a ton of debate on the Mopar 2" lift and aare still leaning that way but there seems to be cheaper and maybe better option s? We have a JLU Sport S with the tow package with upgraded axel and some launch edition 33" off a JT otherwise stock.

We're looking for something that won't look ridiculous with our 33"s, give great daily driver ride, and a bit more articulation for some light/moderate trail runs.
If you're looking for more articulation stay away from the Mopar lift. The shocks are too short. Take a look at Metalcloak and Rock Krawler. The Mopar lift is gong to give you 3-4" on your sport, though even a 2.5" lift is going to make those 33s look small.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Might just consider Rubicon take off suspension, adds adequate lift for your 33s, keep your parts OEM Mopar, and w/ the slightly longer Mopar LCAs you'll retain your stock steering. Should be able to get it all for about $200 if you can find a local source for the Rubicon parts or someone close willing to ship.
Here's my install thread on that exact setup (although mine's a 2dr)
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
1.5 or 2" spacers
1-2" longer shocks (better than OEM to handle heavier tires as well)
Rubicon high fenders
8.5" 9" wide rims about 5" backspacing/less than stock wheel (295/70 size is about the biggest size most mfr's recommend on a 7.5" wide rim.
Re-Cal the speedo for proper ABS, traction control, MPG, and odometer function.

Just Rubicon fenders would fit 275/70's without needing new wheels and allow extra room for suspension.
Many have 275's and no lift, but may rub a little with extreme suspension flex.

Pros:
lower cost
Lower center of gravity
stock ride
minimal suspension modification
Enough room to allow tires 32-33" or 34-35" with Rubicon fenders.

Cons:
35" tires are gonna reduce MPG and power with gearing of non rubicon axles.

it appears the 8 speed auto seems to handle larger tires i bit better than the 6 speed due to the gears
being a bit closer together.

I run 305/65 (32" as measured) tires and 2" spacers.
My wheel backspacing is 5.2" and the tires just miss the splash guards on the front fenders and do not hit front lower control arms at full turn. I may switch to 295/70 when new tires are needed.

I have thought about adding Rubicon fenders too fit 315/70's but not sure I want the added loss of fuel economy.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
If you're looking for more articulation stay away from the Mopar lift. The shocks are too short.
Too short ?
Fronts 17.500 - 26.250
Rears 19.250 - 28.500
That runs pretty much the same as any shock maker for 2" lift.

Now we all know you get more than 2" of lift with the Mopar springs. OP does not want to look funny on 33's. I would not recommend the Mopar 2 lift for that. It runs about a 3.5 lift. The shocks at that much spring are on the shorter side.

If it were me just put simple spring pucks 1.5-2 range for running 33's. cheap, easy , rides as stock, because it is stock. If later you need more articulation, add a true 2" lift shock ( more travel as a longer shock ). Keep it simple and cheap. If you find yourself needing more as your offroading grows then go for a full kit.

I have a Mopar lift , Accutune lift, and Terra flex spring spacers. After running all these. I'm back to stock springs on spacers with Accutune Fox shocks. This gives me a plush stock ride and not an overly tall jeep running 315 KO's.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Too short ?
Fronts 17.500 - 26.250
Rears 19.250 - 28.500

Now we all know you get more than 2" of lift with the Mopar springs. OP does not want to look funny on 33's. I would not recommend the Mopar 2 lift for that. It runs about a 3.5 lift. The shocks at that much spring are on the shorter side.

If it were me just put simple spring pucks 1.5-2 range for running 33's. cheap, easy , rides as stock, because it is stock. If later you need more articulation, add a true 2" lift shock ( more travel as a longer shock ). Keep it simple and cheap. If you find yourself needing more as your offroading grows then go for a full kit.

I have a Mopar lift , Accutune lift, and Terra flex spring spacers. After running all these. I'm back to stock springs on spacers with Accutune Fox shocks. This gives me a plush stock ride and not an overly tall jeep running 315 KO's.
Yes, too short. The Rock Krawler shocks I run are 12" of travel in the front and 14" in the rear. The 2.5" lift shocks are 11" and 13" respectively. That's a huge difference. Metalcloak shocks offer as much or more travel.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ok.
Every other shock manufacture runs much shorter shock then RK.
20.3 - 34.3 is a very long shock. You are giving up on the full stuff side for a locker wire stretching shock on 2 lift. Your taste, noted.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
ok.
Every other shock manufacture runs much shorter shock then RK.
20.3 - 34.3 is a very long shock. You are giving up on the full stuff side for a locker wire stretching shock on 2 lift. Your taste, noted.
It's not just RK man. Metalcloak Rocksports offer 13.3" of travel and the 6 paks offer 15". The Rock Krawler rear shocks you quoted are only 1" longer than the Mopars. Those are for a 3.5" lift. Not giving up anything on the stuff side. Just getting much more useful travel.

Greg Cobble

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Too short ?
Fronts 17.500 - 26.250
Rears 19.250 - 28.500

Not to take this too far off the intended path, but which Accutune Fox shocks. I am wanting to go this direction with my 2 door Rubi JL but not sure which shocks to go with. I am wanting the most compliant (plush) ride I can find and Accutune sounds like the ticket for me. Their staff is recommending the Fox adjustable RR on the back and the plain RR on the front. Since I won't be doing any serious off road stuff, I am wondering why the more expensive remote reservoir shocks would be advantageous for my application. Of course I like the lower price tag with the mono tubes, but very willing to pay for the more expensive shocks if there would be a difference on poorly paved roads?
Thank you for any comment you would want to make on your shocks and how they perform on road for you.

Sponsored

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Kevin Mojito Suggestions on spring pucks?
I used Teraflex, but I think any spacer will work fine. Just know how big you want. I run the 2" front and 1.5 rear. it takes most of the nose down look out on stock springs. If you are going that way get the shock extension brackets too. Otherwise you will top out the stock shocks.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not just RK man. Metalcloak Rocksports offer 13.3" of travel and the 6 paks offer 15". The Rock Krawler rear shocks you quoted are only 1" longer than the Mopars. Those are for a 3.5" lift. Not giving up anything on the stuff side. Just getting much more useful travel.

I think we are not talking about the same thing.

OP is looking for a lift on 33's. I would not go any bigger then 2 max. Mopar shocks are more then long enough for a 2 lift. Mopar lift springs are more then 2", so the shocks are on the shorter side for a 3.5 lift. If the OP puts your RK 's on at that 2" lift he will bottoming out the shock long before he gets a tire close to the fender.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to take this too far off the intended path, but which Accutune Fox shocks. I am wanting to go this direction with my 2 door Rubi JL but not sure which shocks to go with. I am wanting the most compliant (plush) ride I can find and Accutune sounds like the ticket for me. Their staff is recommending the Fox adjustable RR on the back and the plain RR on the front. Since I won't be doing any serious off road stuff, I am wondering why the more expensive remote reservoir shocks would be advantageous for my application. Of course I like the lower price tag with the mono tubes, but very willing to pay for the more expensive shocks if there would be a difference on poorly paved roads?
Thank you for any comment you would want to make on your shocks and how they perform on road for you.
Hey Greg

If you are really looking for as stock soft, run the stock springs plus spacers and the Fox 2.0 LSC. You will need the adjuster to stiffen up the stock springs for off road fun. I ran this set up and it's stock plush for sure. Their comfort springs are as close to stock springs as I have tested. I have a few JL owners drive mine with the Fox LSC and comfort springs. all have thought it was just was soft as stock. It's very very close. I have rheumatoid arthritis and my back does not like daily driving a lifted jeep. Stock, I can live with it. I have LSC so I can make super plush for street, and go up 2 3 clicks for trails. I have not tried their non adjust. ask them what setting on the LSC's they would ride like. If it's in the 1-3 range for it, no need for the LSC's. If you have back problems you may want the LSC's.

Going really crazy plush, I have stock springs plus spacers and JT Gladiator Fox shocks on right now. I have been running these for 2 weeks now, they are crazy soft. I think it would be way too soft for trails. It rides like my ford fusion on the street bumps... It's a funny feeling driving it.

JT front shock.jpg

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I’m really trying to absorb everything in all these threads. Sometime soon I need to get out on the driveway and put a name to these solid axle suspension pieces.

So far I’m looking to run a taller tire on stock Sahara wheels. I’d like to end up with a 33-34” tire to try to hold off a gear change with the 2.0. I’d rather tune it to see if that helps over 1500rpms. If not, I’ll regear.

With that in mind, I’d like to achieve full articulation without rubbing or super super minor as to not damage anything before I correct it. So I’m thinking quick end link disconnects for the sway bar. Recommendations? I saw JKS wants a tab cut off. Not sure how I feel about that.

Then that leads me to the stock painted flares. If I want the stock ride which we’re happy with, are spacers ok over springs and the unknown ride factor there? Will it ride the same if I get good shocks for the increased travel. Would Rubi shocks work or would they be too stiff for the stock Sahara springs? Or better to get aftermarket? I’d like to try to run readily available parts without a list of aftermarket parts numbers to reference over the years.

And shock relocation brackets to account for the extra travel?

Then that leads me to the stock bump stops. Do they need shortening/replacement?

Doing all that to get a 1-2” lift, again, hopefully just enough to clear 33-34” tires based on hearing 35’s would need a regear, and with a desire to try to keep center of gravity just high enough to get more diff clearance...then it seems I may...may need the Mopar lower control arms and adjustable (with low maintenance bushing preferably) track bar?

Fire away. Lol Is it a reasonable goal and does it sound like a plan? If not, please advise. Did I overlook anything? Thanks

Last edited:

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I think we are not talking about the same thing.

OP is looking for a lift on 33's. I would not go any bigger then 2 max. Mopar shocks are more then long enough for a 2 lift. Mopar lift springs are more then 2", so the shocks are on the shorter side for a 3.5 lift. If the OP puts your RK 's on at that 2" lift he will bottoming out the shock long before he gets a tire close to the fender.
We aren't. I said the RK shocks for the 2.5 inch lift will give him way more travel than the Mopar shocks because he said he was interested in increased travel. The Mopar shocks are very limited in travel, not too short compressed, but too short extended. The Mopar springs give over 3" of lift for most people, another reason why the shocks are too short.
Sponsored