Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
  • When I went to use my JL this afternoon, parked on my property's driveway, I notice a 4" crack in the windshield that started at the windshield's lowest point and went up, almost perfectly in the center, driver's to passenger's side, of the passenger's side windshield wiper. I tried to take a picture of it but the crack is so thin, and it was twilight--so nothing showed up in the picture.
  • I really don't think anything came in contact with it as the crack wasn't there (I don't think) last time I parked (and used) it on my property several days ago, and nothing seems to have hit the windshield.
  • Safelite said this is the "4th this week" they've had on a Wrangler and the change in temperature likely did it. Does that sound right?
  • About 2 months ago they replaced the windshield with OEM stock due to a bad chip from something hitting the windshield. So luckily this second windshield replacement is covered under warranty from the first replacement.
  • It's one thing that the nature of the rig's windshield angle leaves it more prone to damage, but to have this happen all on its own???
  • Next time, if it happens, do you think--if even available--I should look to the Gorilla glass option and pay out of pocket the difference in cost.
Anyone know what that difference in cost is?

Thanks.
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
have you checked out the crack windshield tread.

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
The Jeep is the only one of my cars that doesn’t have a bad windshield.

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
Just had a small rock hit mine. cracked, and the crack ran another 5" My insurance agent says the jeeps are noted for going through lots of windsheilds. I have a $250 dedcutible, and for another $23 every six months I can get $0 deductible. I think I'll do that!

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Just had a small rock hit mine. cracked, and the crack ran another 5" My insurance agent says the jeeps are noted for going through lots of windsheilds. I have a $250 dedcutible, and for another $23 every six months I can get $0 deductible. I think I'll do that!
its well worth it. i have full glass coverage for $3 (i think). so far so good no problem with the windshield.

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I've never replaced a windshield in my TJ, JKU or after one year of ownership in my JL. Let's hope it continues to be that way:like:

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
its well worth it. i have full glass coverage for $3 (i think). so far so good no problem with the windshield.
Despite the low or no deductible on windshield glass, can making such claims raise rates/ risk cancellation?

I would think so but maybe someone whose been through this can help me.

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
Despite the low or no deductible on windshield glass, can making such claims raise rates/ risk cancellation?

I would think so but maybe someone whose been through this can help me.
Comprehensive coverage covers things you can't help and is priced based on the risk/probability of those things happening... probability of a rock flying into windshield, of a tree falling on your vehicle, hail damage, etc. Because those things are based on statistics and not on your or someone else's behavior (as most accidents are), your rates should not increase. You may replace this one and not have another one break in 70000 miles. Or it might break 3 miles down the road. However, thousands of other people are paying for the same coverage and never break a windshield. I did the same coverage on my 4Runner and 155,000 miles later still had the OEM windshield.

My JLUR windshield is still in one piece but my wife's '18 Subaru just got broken a second time. It has the vision system/advanced safety that allows it to somewhat drive itself so we only put factory windshields back in it. No increase in rates and $0 deductible.

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
Comprehensive coverage covers things you can't help and is priced based on the risk/probability of those things happening... probability of a rock flying into windshield, of a tree falling on your vehicle, hail damage, etc. Because those things are based on statistics and not your or someone else's behavior (as most accidents are), your rates should not increase.

My JLUR windshield is still in one piece but my wife's '18 Subaru just got broken a second time. It has the vision system/advanced safety that allows it to somewhat drive itself so we only put factory windshields back in it. No increase in rates and $0 deductible.
Thanks for that. I wonder if insurance companies markedly increase the likelihood of Wrangler windshield damage due to stuff happening beyond the driver's control in their "risk/probabilities" as compared to other vehicles.

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Thanks for that. I wonder if insurance companies markedly increase the likelihood of Wrangler windshield damage due to stuff happening beyond the driver's control in their "risk/probabilities" as compared to other vehicles.
I would assume they do.

I’ve got comprehensive and had to replace my Escape’s windshield a week before my JL was delivered.

I called my agent who I know pretty well, he said not to worry about it.

Sponsored

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
I don't know how far in the weeds they get. Again, my wife's Subaru has a completely different windshield shape and angle than the Wrangler and it's been replaced twice in 2 years. I think windshield vulnerability is much more about where it is driven and speeds than what vehicle it is in. A well-placed rock will take out any windshield.

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
I replaced three of them on my JK. None so far with the JL. (knocking on wood right now) It's the angle of attack to airborne debris that's at fault, not the windshield weakness.

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I replaced three of them on my JK. None so far with the JL. (knocking on wood right now) It's the angle of attack to airborne debris that's at fault, not the windshield weakness.
I hear you Bill. My crack though happened on my driveway where the rig was parked, in a way I have every reason to think was a product of pressure/temperature change, not, say, a tree limb or rock hitting it--but I can't be sure as I didn't witness it happen.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i can tell you that my coverage for the wrangler is the same coverage from my 07 grand cherokee and i'm paying $100 less for the wrangler. it all depends on the location and insurance company you're in.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
The JL was designed when all the Obama fuel regulations were in place. The easiest way to increase mpg is reduced weight. I think the windshields are thinner, therefore lighter, combined with the angle.
Hopefully an aftermarket source will make one thicker at some point. It’s just glued in, without trim, so it’s definitely possible.
I’m on windshield number two for a 2018 now.
Sponsored