Sponsored

When (how many miles) did you do your first oil change?

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Firecracker Red 3.6L 6MT
hey, when did you all do your first oil change? Currently at 4950 miles with 19% oil life left. Have my first oil change scheduled this Saturday 11/30 but expecting to go over the 5000 mile interval. Unfortunately I am an extremely anxious and paranoid person and noticed a few of you are doing the oil change earlier and was wondering if that was necessary..
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
hey, when did you all do your first oil change? Currently at 4950 miles with 19% oil life left. Have my first oil change scheduled this Saturday 11/30 but expecting to go over the 5000 mile interval. Unfortunately I am an extremely anxious and paranoid person and noticed a few of you are doing the oil change earlier and was wondering if that was necessary..
I did mine at 2k. I've been known to do them at 500 miles on previous vehicles. I like to get the break-in metals and silicates from the sealers and gaskets out of there sooner. That said, it is perfectly fine to go the distance. The factory fill oil is excellent. I had an analysis done at 2k and the oil was in excellent shape with lots of life left in it.

I am very fussy about about oil, but the quality of engines and oil these days makes it so that you really don't have to worry if you check the oil level every month or couple thousand miles and change it when the Jeep tells you to.

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
I did mine at 1200 which is complete overkill, but since I got some excellent Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0W-20 oil and OEM filters on the cheap, I decided to get the factory fill out. FWIW, I did find some small metal pieces in the filter but nothing abnormal.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
I didn’t do a “break in” oil change on this Jeep. I decided to wait until 5k and have continued that interval. Some will swear by doing it earlier, and others still will really push it.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I did mine at 1200 which is complete overkill, but since I got some excellent Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0W-20 oil and OEM filters on the cheap, I decided to get the factory fill out. FWIW, I did find some small metal pieces in the filter but nothing abnormal.
That Rotella is a GREAT deal with the rebate. I picked up 2 jugs at Autozone on clearance for $20 each so the rebate took it down to $10 each. The purchase also gave me enough reward points for a $20 reward, so I may pick up a 3rd jug with it. My daughter's Renegade also runs 0w20, so some will go to her little 2.4.

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
I went in for the first oil change at 7,500 miles, when the Jeep's computer said it needed to be done.
In most vehicles the conditional oil change due message simply the greater of mileage or time. There is no actual assessment of the oil by the computer.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
500 miles
1500 miles
5000 miles
8000 miles
Then every 3k or 4k miles

At 29k I changed transfer case and diff fluids since we wheel it and we were going across country to wheel it.

No way in the world I would have gone 5k miles before changing the oil. I have a very old school mentality when it comes to new car and oil. I just replaced my engine in my LJ and the break in procedure states 500 miles oil and filter and then I will be doing it at 1000 miles. I'm sure I'm not helping your anxiety plus I wouldn't let the dealer do it since they seem found of ignoring the fact that these take 5 qts. and NOT 6qts like the JK.

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
Did mine at 1000 just because, why not? play it safe.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
In most vehicles the conditional oil change due message simply the greater of mileage or time. There is no actual assessment of the oil by the computer.
No it's actually based on driving habits. All highway? The interval will be much longer

OP
OP
jaozus

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Firecracker Red 3.6L 6MT
Thanks for all the responses. It seems like me waiting til 5K shouldnt be a problem.

I'll be making sure to tell my advisors and confirming that it is 5qts, will also be checking the dipstick after the change. I'm just going to use up all the Jeep wave oil changes/rotations and then will be changing my own oil after that

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No it's actually based on driving habits. All highway? The interval will be much longer
It could be a combination of things including engine revolutions, miles, throttle input, etc. Probably only FCA knows. I'm sure a calendar and mileage limit are factored in as well. From what I've read, GM's has the most complicated algorithm.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
It could be a combination of things including engine revolutions, miles, throttle input, etc. Probably only FCA knows. I'm sure a calendar and mileage limit are factored in as well. From what I've read, GM's has the most complicated algorithm.
Exactly, my point was it isn't just a time/distance factor.

Pingbling23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 3.6 eTorque
Always followed the computer with my wife’s explorer and use Castro’s edge full synthetic. It had 124k miles when I sold it and ran like a top. I’ll do the same with the jl.
Sponsored