OP
OP
Woodbridge

Woodbridge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Roger that. Sorry this happened to you, and sorry the your adjustment to the steering box didn't maintain. Bummer. Talk to your attorney about making you a 'lead plaintiff' in a class action. I think there are way more than a few hundred Jeepers adversely affected and financially harmed by this steering problem, and that is all it would take for a federal judge to approve this as a class action. Best of luck to you mi amigo. /Joe
Already happening....can't say much more right now.
Sponsored

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
I'm curious if anyone's adjusted the steering box in a Sahara with BSG. I've got so many coolant lines etc that I can't even get to
the box from the top. Anyone with BSG do this? If so, let me know what you removed and how you were able to get enough clearance to get a torch in that tight space.

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
Here's what I'm looking at from the top right.

It's buried in there.

You can see it in the right corner.

Can't see how to fit a heat gun in there.

As you can see, with the BSG hoses etc, there's no way to easily fit a heat gun in there. If anyone with BSG has done this, I'd love to know the easiest way to gain some clearance around the box.

Sponsored

Tony V

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Here's what I'm looking at from the top right.

It's buried in there.

You can see it in the right corner.

Can't see how to fit a heat gun in there.

As you can see, with the BSG hoses etc, there's no way to easily fit a heat gun in there. If anyone with BSG has done this, I'd love to know the easiest way to gain some clearance around the box.

You need to remove the air box up to the injector intake. Three 10mm sockets and unclip the sensor. Give you a lot more room

mike2019

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Ocean Blue Metallic
Update time. Still waiting on my v41. I broke down and did the adjustment to the box. 3 three bolts to remove the air box and unclip a sensor line and you have easy access to the box. Bought a 20 buck propane torch to heat up the lock tight. 30 seconds of heat and it came loose. Tightened as recommended and backed of just a touch. Snugged it all back. All done in about half hour. Amazing!! Wheel is tight and light. This is all I ever wanted. I am able to drive with a hand on the knee and a couple fingers on the wheel. It tracks so well now. So to my dealers it was not because I put 35s. It is because the damn steering box is loose. Unreal
Glad to hear it worked for you.

Sponsored

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
I adjusted the box this weekend. That nut was a pain in the ass to get loose. I thought I was gonna break the head right off it. Steering tightened up a little, though I only turned it less than an 1/8 of a turn. I’m gonna try a 1/4 turn later this week.

Since the loctite has been melted already, do I need to apply heat to it next time? Not sure if it re-seals or not.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I adjusted the box this weekend. That nut was a pain in the ass to get loose. I thought I was gonna break the head right off it. Steering tightened up a little, though I only turned it less than an 1/8 of a turn. I’m gonna try a 1/4 turn later this week.

Since the loctite has been melted already, do I need to apply heat to it next time? Not sure if it re-seals or not.
I have the same setup as you (Sahara 2.0L BSG) and figure I’m going to have to do this. My dealer is doing the V41 steering stabilizer replacement now and they said my alignment is off, so they are doing another alignment. They think these two things are going to fix the loose steering and wandering. I have serious doubts that will work. I’ve done this adjustment on two other vehicles but getting to the box on this one looks difficult.

Did you remove the air box and that gave you enough room? Looks like a big hose is right over the box. Is that easy to move to get heat to the nut? I really don’t want to put a torch in there so hopefully a heat gun will work.

OP
OP
Woodbridge

Woodbridge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I have the same setup as you (Sahara 2.0L BSG) and figure I’m going to have to do this. My dealer is doing the V41 steering stabilizer replacement now and they said my alignment is off, so they are doing another alignment. They think these two things are going to fix the loose steering and wandering. I have serious doubts that will work. I’ve done this adjustment on two other vehicles but getting to the box on this one looks difficult.

Did you remove the air box and that gave you enough room? Looks like a big hose is right over the box. Is that easy to move to get heat to the nut? I really don’t want to put a torch in there so hopefully a heat gun will work.
Hi IronScott,
That V41 stabilizer replacement is a waste of time, the retards at the Jeep dealers are putting the replacement stabilizer back on backwards just like the retards did in Toledo when they built the jeep.

If you are hell bent on keeping your jeep and not pursuing FCA in the legal sense, put the Fox 2.0 ATS stabilizer on your jeep and then make careful small clockwise adjustments to the steering box. And yes.....loosen the two clamps at each end of the cold air intake tube, remove the two side by side 10mm bolts in the front atop the radiator and unclip the sensor that plugs into the cold air intake tube. Flip the assembly over and lay it on top of the engine and you'll have perfect access to making adjustments to the steering box . Unfortunately.................these adjustments may not last, strong chance your loose steering will return.

The track bar did nothing to fix the loose steering.....
The front adjustable LCA's did nothing to fix the loose steering......
Increasing caster and toe-In alignment did nothing to fix the loose steering........
The Fox 2.0 steering stabilizer only increases the resistance of turning the wheel, it does NOT remove the dead spot play in the steering wheel between say 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock
Sponsored