Sponsored

What do I need to know before putting a JL Rubicon Suspension on my JL Sport S.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I may have missed the answer to this question. If we're just swapping springs and shocks only, do we need to touch the LCA bolts? Also, it seems like some people are not messing with the track bar either.

What is the recommendation?
No need to touch the LCA or track bar bolts, and you only remove the lower end link bolts.
Here's an install thread on my 2dr that I posted up,
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/
Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Good info! Thanks for your link.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I may have missed the answer to this question. If we're just swapping springs and shocks only, do we need to touch the LCA bolts? Also, it seems like some people are not messing with the track bar either.

The recommendation I've seen is to loosen then retighten on the ground (or with the axle supported to simulate the suspension sitting on the ground). But some say it's not necessary. One thing I can say for sure is re-torquing these on the ground is a PAIN. Also (banned site) says there is no need to loosen the Rear upper control arms at the frame.

You may need to loosen or disconnect the track bar at the axle in order to lower the axle enough to put the new springs in. All of the videos I watched showed doing this. I did it. But I can't confirm it's necessary. Loosening and retorquing the track bar bolts is easy.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
You may need to loosen or disconnect the track bar at the axle in order to lower the axle enough to put the new springs in. All of the videos I watched showed doing this. I did it. But I can't confirm it's necessary. Loosening and retorquing the track bar bolts is easy.
Good point. I'll probably do the same thing.

Lil Punk'n

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangled jl sport
Occupation
Retired, School bus driver
I may have missed the answer to this question. If we're just swapping springs and shocks only, do we need to touch the LCA bolts? Also, it seems like some people are not messing with the track bar either. I didn't touch LCA or Track bar. Just did springs & shocks , with 1/2 in spacer lift.

Sponsored

Lil Punk'n

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangled jl sport
Occupation
Retired, School bus driver
I didnt touch LCA or track bar. Just did springs & shocks , with 1/2 in spacer lift.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Since I have not done this on a JL before, where is a good reference doc for all the appropriate torque specs?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
This is excellent! Thank you.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase

Suthrn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR
I ordered the Mopar LCA's for the Rubi suspension on the sport but they don't have the rubber around the bolt holes. Is this normal? And if not what do I need to get to make sure this is done correctly? Thank you.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Anyone do the springs/shock swap without adding the 0.5" spacer and also install a steel bumper? Was it level or did the front sag? Getting a bit of a mix view here. I purchased 61/62 front springs and 90/91 rear. I'll add a winch in the future but don't necessarily plan on keeping it on all the time.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone do the springs/shock swap without adding the 0.5" spacer and also install a steel bumper? Was it level or did the front sag? Getting a bit of a mix view here. I purchased 61/62 front springs and 90/91 rear. I'll add a winch in the future but don't necessarily plan on keeping it on all the time.
I *think* you'll like a 1/2" spacer on the front but hard to tell. For comparison I have 60/61 front, 91/92 rear and stock plastic bumper with tow package. It's about 3/4" rake (noticeable for sure). Your bigger front spring set with smaller rears would probably even that out but once you add in the bumper and it settles my guess is you'll lose another 1/2".
Sponsored