Sponsored

ARB Bondi Deluxe Bumper as alternative to AEV and others?

echo17

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Hey peeps!

Like many of you, I've been waiting on the AEV bumpers to arrive. But to my understanding from discussions with AEV during SEMA, they aren't even in production yet so guessing it won't be out till March. Having just picked up my new JL not long ago, I'm not sure if I want to wait till then as that also means I will either have to buy a "temporary" tailgate reinforcement and tire carrier or completely take the spare off since I will be running 37" tires.

After searching for alternatives while trying to comply as much as I can to Australian Design Rules (equivalent to DOT in US), I've basically come decided on either a modular bumper or a full bumper. Any recommendations are welcome of course; but I've been giving the ARB US's Bondi Deluxe Bumper some serious thoughts for the following reasons:

• The bumper looks like a tank! I won't have to worry about stray kangaroos in the middle of the night!
  • Recessed winch. Completely protects and hides it.
  • Has some nice corner lights at the outer corners of the bumper allowing for illumination of turns during those unlit roads.
  • Has a clean look. Also feel like the trend might be going this way from a design perspective? Look at the new Mopar Bumpers and the Land Rover Defender for example?
  • Recovery points are attached directly to frame instead of bumper

Having done some thread searches, I think I've only come across one or two people who have said that they have gone that route. Perhaps there have been more who just hasn't spoken up? @Xzius

So my question is this:

• What are people's thoughts on the bumper? Is it too plain?
  • Is there a better alternative?
  • Build quality?
  • Am I locking myself in since it's not a modular bumper?

Please note that I've just started a new thread here because I was hoping to get more people involved with the discussion which might encompass other bumper ideas.

For reference, I've attached some photos and links. Looking forward to everyone's feedbacks and discussions! And thanks!

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/arb-4x4-jlu-wrangler-build-sema-2019.40941/

arb-4x4-jlu-wrangler-build-sema-2019-2-jpg.jpg

arb-4x4-jlu-wrangler-build-sema-2019-14-jpg.jpg

aev-jlu-jeep-wrangler-sema-build-1-jpg.jpg

aev-jlu-jeep-wrangler-sema-build-22-jpg.jpg

New-Style-Mopar-Steel-Front-Bumper-for-JL-and-JLU-Wrangler-780x405.jpg

Jeep Wrangler JL ARB Bondi Deluxe Bumper as alternative to AEV and others? {filename}
Sponsored

OP
OP

echo17

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
We installed an arb for a great guy from dallas and I was very impressed with its build quality and how stout it was

Brett

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
ARB is top notch—but I do presume it will be quite a bit heavier than what AEV comes out with.
Also, I was told that the ARB bumper requires drilling into JL frame.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ARB is top notch—but I do presume it will be quite a bit heavier than what AEV comes out with.
Also, I was told that the ARB bumper requires drilling into JL frame.
There wasn’t any drilling for me.

Brett

Sponsored

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
There wasn’t any drilling for me.

Brett
maybe it’s not required ? I was going to buy it ( I had it ordered and cancelled ) and was told by Northridge they asked ARB offices if drilling was required, they said in order to level the bumper they did require drilling. Maybe new versions don’t require it?

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maybe it’s not required ? I was going to buy it ( I had it ordered and cancelled ) and was told by Northridge they asked ARB offices if drilling was required, they said in order to level the bumper they did require drilling. Maybe new versions don’t require it?
Did it two weeks ago. I think it turned out great. No drilling for me.

Brett

Jeep Wrangler JL ARB Bondi Deluxe Bumper as alternative to AEV and others? {filename}

CP3

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition
Did it two weeks ago. I think it turned out great. No drilling for me.

Brett

i thought they Bondi was too big in the origin pics, but that looks really nice.

do you happen to know off hand the lift size and tires on that white rubicon? I really like the whole look with stance, tires, and bumper.

Xzius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR Granite
@Xzius

Have you noticed any issues with dipping when you break since you have so much weight on both the outermost front and rear parts of your car? I have had similar thoughts to you in terms of bumpers. I was going to look into counteracting the added weight with the AEV 2.5" lift kit as they are designed for heavier rigs.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...gler-build-sema-2019.40941/page-2#post-909486

I have not noticed any dipping. Obviously, I have added quite a bit of weight to my rig which I can definitely feel, and it has affected my fuel economy. I went from nearly 18 mpg avg to 16. I will be adding either the AEV 2.5" lift, or MC 2.5" lift eventually along with 35" tires. The pedal commander has been a nice addition, which has helped add a little pep since adding all the weight.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i thought they Bondi was too big in the origin pics, but that looks really nice.

do you happen to know off hand the lift size and tires on that white rubicon? I really like the whole look with stance, tires, and bumper.
I happen to know that! We built that Jeep a week and a half ago. It has a hybrid 2.5f/3.5r metalcloak game changer lift with 315 tires on stock wheels with synergy wheel spacers. When I first saw pics I thought it was pretty big too, after seeing it, I really like it and the fit is balanced.

Brett

Sponsored

OP
OP

echo17

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
thanks so much for the information @rustyshakelford! I was worried the bumper proportionally was too big as well. But from these pictures, It seems like as long as you have 35 inch tires or larger, it should compensate for the added size. I’ve actually reached out to ARBUS last night (your morning) to ask a few questions I’ve come across as well. Will post their response. For reference as well, I believe this bumper weighs 143 lbs. the stock bumper weight is approximately 78 lbs. plus if you added a molar winch plate kit, it’s approximately 10 lbs. so you’re adding approx 55 lbs before a winch Is added.

I happen to know that! We built that Jeep a week and a half ago. It has a hybrid 2.5f/3.5r metalcloak game changer lift with 315 tires on stock wheels with synergy wheel spacers. When I first saw pics I thought it was pretty big too, after seeing it, I really like it and the fit is balanced.

Brett

OP
OP

echo17

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
great info to have and thanks! Did you end up going with the LOD destroyer rear as well? or did you ever consider the bondi deluxe rear bumper?

I have not noticed any dipping. Obviously, I have added quite a bit of weight to my rig which I can definitely feel, and it has affected my fuel economy. I went from nearly 18 mpg avg to 16. I will be adding either the AEV 2.5" lift, or MC 2.5" lift eventually along with 35" tires. The pedal commander has been a nice addition, which has helped add a little pep since adding all the weight.

Xzius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR Granite
great info to have and thanks! Did you end up going with the LOD destroyer rear as well? or did you ever consider the bondi deluxe rear bumper?
Sure, I considered it, but this LOD rear is the freaking bees knees. Love it

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Was about to post about this same bumper, really interested, just not sure how it would fit with 37's. Been looking for a decent ARB style bumper instead of a shorty.
Sponsored